The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Moomintroll

Excellent game so far, great atmosphere. Special to watch Morgan break the record although Snork Maiden is confused as to what just happened. Poor Rashid Khan though.

Guest Moomintroll

Superb day, fair play to the Afghanistan fans as in spite of the fact they got absolutely horsed they were behind their team from start to finish.

Superb day, fair play to the Afghanistan fans as in spite of the fact they got absolutely horsed they were behind their team from start to finish.

Afghan cricket is one hell of a story. It’s hard not to root for them, so to speak.

Guest Moomintroll

Afghan cricket is one hell of a story. It’s hard not to root for them, so to speak.
That is true, incredible to think that 10 years ago they didn't even have a National team.

New Zealand seriously wobbling at the moment, need a good partnership here.

Largely unimpressed with them this tournament tbh. Their record looks great so far but it’s wins over Afghanistan and Sri Lanka, and a close win over Bangladesh. They got lucky the didn’t have to play India and they’re not looking too good here despite a win being very possible. Nowhere near as good as an England, India or an Australia.

Williamson is a gem of a player, I thought NZ had fucked it by scoring too slowly in the last 10 overs then having a bad couple. Reminiscent of the game in the last WC vs Australia where they collapsed to 9 down and he just tonked it for 6 to win.

4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

New Zealand seriously wobbling at the moment, need a good partnership here.

Weakest of the 4 semifinalists. England and India seem to be the two best by a distance at the minute. 

Guest Moomintroll
Weakest of the 4 semifinalists. England and India seem to be the two best by a distance at the minute. 

Will be interesting to see how they fare against the other 3 semi finalists, some big games coming up in terms of building momentum & getting the top spot for the "easier" semi final. Most of the rest of the games are going to be pointless from here on in unless Bangladesh can pull off a shock tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Will be interesting to see how they fare against the other 3 semi finalists,

Boult, Williamson, they have players who can upset any team when the run against the odds. 

But with the top two when you get past the Rohit and Roy's they have a steady stream of quality. Their depth will tell. Perhaps NZ can cause an upset but its going to be a tough ask for them. They are the two teams least vulnerable to the magic ball that takes out a star player. But hey ho one day cricket has a habit of making fools of all favourites. 

Here's a weird thing, I only caught the last 15-20 overs of the game today on TV due to work.

I watched the brief highlights on the BBC website just there.

The commentary obviously sticks in my head to a degree and I realised this... when it's Mark Nicholas on TV the BBC use the TV commentary on the highlights but when it's not they use the radio commentary. The rights must be complex as f**k although that's not a huge surprise with the ICC

Would agree they’ll be the weakest. Still want to see England against Australia and India soon (and even against New Zealand). They’ve looked dominant against most teams but I think people forget they have a loss to Pakistan already, and they haven’t played any of the other 3 predicted semi-finalists yet.

India are obviously the only side with a win over another ‘semi-finalist’ and they could probably have had 2 if it wasn’t for the rain. Interesting to see how their batting ‘depth’ is affected by Dhawan missing the whole tournament now. They obviously still have Sharma, Kohli, Rahul, Dhoni, Pandya etc but I wouldn’t be too keen on the likes of BOTH Shankar and Jadhav starting from here on in. Pant has been brought in and I think he’d be a good option to have in at around 4 to replace Rahul moving up the order.

Guest Moomintroll

Not the best of starts from Bangladesh, will be 350+ for the Aussies unless they get a couple of quick wickets to stall the momentum.