The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Shite performance there from England, however I fully expect them to win 2 of their last 3. I have a feeling they'll obliterate the Aussies, sneak past India and lose to NZ

They’ll have to beat these teams anyway at some point.

It's frustrating that England have spent so much time building up to this tournament, with the one day format feeling like the one the ECB have cared more about than the others, to then have now two pretty poor performances when it matters. I still think England will qualify and at their best I think they would beat Australia, India or New Zealand, but they have these sorts of performances in their locker, where the batsmen almost seem to panic when they aren't scoring quickly, even though it was a slow pitch and a pretty low run chase by modern standards. It's added a bit of excitement to the tournament in a sense as up until now it's sort of felt inevitable that the current top four would be the four to qualify and now there's an element of doubt, but if England don't qualify then it really will be a disaster considering how much has gone into creating a competitive team for this tournament.

It’s well known that England bat deep but I really thought their lower order believed their own hype. Moeen made a contribution but played a poor and unnecessary shot to get himself out. Woakes, Rashid and Archer did the exact same. The game was still there when all of these guys were swinging for the hills and losing stupid wickets. The only guy who actually tried to play properly was poor Mark Wood, he was blocking shots and playing for Stokes, allowing him to tee off. It was too late by then though.

ETA - Vince is nowhere near international level. He’s very easy for an international bowler to manipulate. What Malinga (who was sensational btw) did to get him out was a pretty obvious trap, and he walked right into it.

Guest Moomintroll
It’s well known that England bat deep but I really thought their lower order believed their own hype. Moeen made a contribution but played a poor and unnecessary shot to get himself out. Woakes, Rashid and Archer did the exact same. The game was still there when all of these guys were swinging for the hills and losing stupid wickets. The only guy who actually tried to play properly was poor Mark Wood, he was blocking shots and playing for Stokes, allowing him to tee off. It was too late by then though.

ETA - Vince is nowhere near international level. He’s very easy for an international bowler to manipulate. What Malinga (who was sensational btw) did to get him out was a pretty obvious trap, and he walked right into it.
Vince has never been the answer to any question at International level, if Roy still isn't fit then just promote Moeen up the order, if he fires great, if he doesn't then no biggie in comparison, the only issue there is that there is no other batsman available to stiffen the lower middle order.

Yep, at the point where Moeen came in it was still very much looking like an England win. Run rate wasn't a problem at that point, just keep nudging ones and twos and dispatch any loose balls. But England at times seem to lose sight of that and want to try and whack every ball into the stands. Worrying that they have already managed 2 defeats to Pakistan and now Sri Lanka. It's all well and good thumping everybody for the best part of the last 4 years, but it has all been building to this and having lost Roy for a couple of games they look a bit bewildered.

Guest Moomintroll
They really do need a fit Roy.  Can't see Ali surviving long against Boult or Starc at the top of the order.
Spot on with Vince, the epitome of a player that makes a splendid looking 20 before playing a loose stroke.
A poor mans Ramprakash per se.
At least David Gower used to make it to 40 before wafting a wide one to 3rd slip, Vince has the attention span of an ADHD addled goldfish. Agree that Mo won't last too long against them but he will at least rattle some quick runs before he goes if he is sent in with that remit.

Just now, Moomintroll said:
37 minutes ago, Tynierose said:
They really do need a fit Roy.  Can't see Ali surviving long against Boult or Starc at the top of the order.
Spot on with Vince, the epitome of a player that makes a splendid looking 20 before playing a loose stroke.
A poor mans Ramprakash per se.

At least David Gower used to make it to 40 before wafting a wide one to 3rd slip, Vince has the attention span of an ADHD addled goldfish. Agree that Mo won't last too long against them but he will at least rattle some quick runs before he goes if he is sent in with that remit.

And of course Gower had marvellous hair.  Can still remember listening to the Ashes in the mid eighties during the night on my wee radio.

Gower looking magnificent out there, oh he's found the fielder, gone for 40.

Guest Moomintroll
And of course Gower had marvellous hair.  Can still remember listening to the Ashes in the mid eighties during the night on my wee radio.
Gower looking magnificent out there, oh he's found the fielder, gone for 40.
Can't see Joe Root buzzing the field in a Tiger Moth any time soon either.

Guest Moomintroll
Is this really the best format for the world cup?

It just seems so meaningless until the semis, and complete unfair when a game is rained off.

It absolutely is not, has been structured this way to maximise TV revenues in India for Star Sports via the BCCI dictating the format within the ICC.