The Cricket Thread

bewlay

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

So much wrong with the umprire's deiciosn to give Root lbw - no wonder he reviewed - big snick off the bat and it was not hitting the wicket.

I was watching that half paying attention with no sound on and could clearly see it had taken a massive inside edge. The umpire was right to shake his head at himself once he saw the replay on the big screen. Woeful decision.

England have batted well today. I still expect a wicket at some point in the morning will trigger a collapse and it'll be done and dusted in half an hour from there.

Guest Moomintroll

Going to be an interesting day today, England will either make history, confound the critics & reach the impossible target or get shot out for 240 with a compendium of ridiculous strokes. My money is on the latter scenario but this feels like it could be a defining moment for Joe Root as a Captain.

Guest Moomintroll
Daft shot by Joe?

Strange, after such discipline.
That is what prevents Root from being a great batsman, he seems to lose focus & play daft shots when he is in the 60s & 70s. He still has time to fix it but until he does, he is miles behind Smith, Kohli & Williamson.

Guest Moomintroll
Correct his conversion rate is extremely poor and it's very much down to his shot selection and concentration.  I know he has a back problem so I wonder if that has impacted on him a bit in respect of how long he fancies being out there for etc.
Back problems never stopped Mike Atherton from batting so it seems to be down to poor shot selection after he has made a decent score,this is shaping up to be a classic if YJB and the all rounder can keep the heid.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
10 minutes ago, Tynierose said:
Correct his conversion rate is extremely poor and it's very much down to his shot selection and concentration.  I know he has a back problem so I wonder if that has impacted on him a bit in respect of how long he fancies being out there for etc.

Back problems never stopped Mike Atherton from batting so it seems to be down to poor shot selection after he has made a decent score,this is shaping up to be a classic if YJB and the all rounder can keep the heid.

Here's a wee article on Athers and his back from the late nineties  http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/76404.html

Atherton was as tough as they come,  I would love an opener like him today, his average did not reflect the play he was.  He carried a dreadful England team at times, faced Donald/Pollock  McGrath/Warne  Ambrose/Walsh   Waquar/Wasim all at their pomp in which was a prime time for bowlers.   Top lad.

50-50 toss up who wins it now.

And 5 wides now from Pattinson.

Not much in the wicket for the seamers - clear sky so no swing - the only bowler who might have a chance is Lyon but even then he's not getting much turn.

England don't need to rush - just keep it tight and let the singles and 2s get them to their target.

Cummins back on - he was poor his last session.

I am a firm believer in the “do something else to bring your team a wicket” theory. Can I ask all P&Bers to do absolutely exactly what you’re doing right now for the rest of the day? I’d say it’s 60/40 Australia but England have done ridiculously well to get it this close.