The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Moomintroll
Here's a wee article on Athers and his back from the late nineties  http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/76404.html
Atherton was as tough as they come,  I would love an opener like him today, his average did not reflect the play he was.  He carried a dreadful England team at times, faced Donald/Pollock  McGrath/Warne  Ambrose/Walsh   Waquar/Wasim all at their pomp in which was a prime time for bowlers.   Top lad.
When you look at the bowlers they were facing it really does put Athers, Alec Stewart, Graham Thorpe et al into perspective, those guys were excellent batsmen & would be in a different class nowadays given the opening bowlers they had to face. Different style but I laugh every time someone refers to Lyon as the GOAT, between Brad Hogg and Stuart MacGill he wouldn't even have been Australia's second spinner when Warne was playing.

Guest Moomintroll
Bairstow is clearly a cock but I suspect stokes (despite the drunken fighting nonsense) is a decent guy.

I'm hoping they do this.

132 left to get...
Have to disagree with that, Jonny Bairstow had a shit time growing up. His Father ( who was a decent batsman & an excellent wicketkeeper) commited suicide which the vile Warner took great glee in reminding him of & he had to take that all in while forging a career for himself in a sport where his Father excelled. The fact that he has suceeded is a credit to him & his Mother so I wish nothing but good luck to him.

Just now, Moomintroll said:
12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
Bairstow is clearly a cock but I suspect stokes (despite the drunken fighting nonsense) is a decent guy.

I'm hoping they do this.

132 left to get...

Have to disagree with that, Jonny Bairstow had a shit time growing up. His Father ( who was a decent batsman & an excellent wicketkeeper) commited suicide which the vile Warner took great glee in reminding him of & he had to take that all in while forging a career for himself in a sport where his Father excelled. The fact that he has suceeded is a credit to him & his Mother so I wish nothing but good luck to him.

Baristow's book is a compelling read, well worth a perusal.

Guest Moomintroll
Baristow's book is a compelling read, well worth a perusal.
I have, nothing but respect for the man even though he wears the wrong colour of rose.

I had no idea, cheers.

I was basing it on done of his interviews and the impression you get when some of the analysts discuss him. He seems to take offence at stuff and the stuff with the head butting just seemed bizarre.

I might read his book now. Cheers.

Guest Moomintroll
I had no idea, cheers.

I was basing it on done of his interviews and the impression you get when some of the analysts discuss him. He seems to take offence at stuff and the stuff with the head butting just seemed bizarre.

I might read his book now. Cheers.
No worries pandarilla, he does come across like an angry wee man at times but I take that as a self defence mechanism based on what has happened in his life. He seems to thrive on self generated doubt based on what the Media are saying about him, it seems to work but is obviously fuelled by his understandable paranoia

The funniest thing of all is that Warner and Bairstow actually became pretty good friends this year when opening for Sunrisers Hyderabad together. I thought it looked a bit fake, but Bairstow even called him a ‘great bloke’.

Bairstow is a better man than I, if what Warner is reported to have said is accurate.

Chris Gaffeney has had another absolute nightmare giving Bairstow out. Not as bad as the Root LBW when he hit the cover off the ball but still a shocker.

Some really ordinary umpiring. Chris Gaffeney is a good laugh when he’s doing DRS duty, but he’s not having a good test match so far.