The Cricket Thread

bewlay

7 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

piss poor on my part then - checked on wikipedia before posting and cdnt find any health-related notes....

🤔

I'm pretty sure I'm not making it up!  But I can't find it either.  It was related to his walking exploits.  There's another surgery that he's seemingly had too, but I don't think that has affected his voice!  

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I'm pretty sure I'm not making it up!  But I can't find it either.  It was related to his walking exploits.  There's another surgery that he's seemingly had too, but I don't think that has affected his voice!  

dunno - a couple of sharp tugs or some tightening of the scrotum would probably put your voice up by a couple of octaves !

37 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

What was it 2 for 15 yesterday? Then scoring 5 times as many runs in the second innings as the first. 

That's what I came on here to ask about - is that the biggest multiple in a 4th innings from a 2nd?

I'm not a cricket fan but I am a sports fan, and that was fucking amazing. I can't conceive the mental strength it takes to do what Ben Stokes just did. 

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's what I came on here to ask about - is that the biggest multiple in a 4th innings from a 2nd?

I'm not a cricket fan but I am a sports fan, and that was fucking amazing. I can't conceive the mental strength it takes to do what Ben Stokes just did. 

I've been watching sport for over 35 years and that's the possibly most amazing thing I have witnessed.  It certainly is on the cricket field for me.

I've watched so many tremendous things in cricket over the years such as the Lara 375 etc but this today was incredible.

Stokes really  is a once in a generation cricketer.

Absolutely phenomenal.  Has to be Wisden cricketer of the year.

I love test match cricket.

3 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

match winning partnership of 76; ben stokes 75 and jack leach 1 😂

Reminds me of a WI match against Oz where Lara was clattering them everywhere at one end, and Curtley Ambrose was hanging on at the other. Ambrose then got out with them needing about 6, and Courtney Walsh performed against McGrath like the guy in a Western who's told to "dance" by the bad guy, before Lara saw them through.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Reminds me of a WI match against Oz where Lara was clattering them everywhere at one end, and Curtley Ambrose was hanging on at the other. Ambrose then got out with them needing about 6, and Courtney Walsh performed against McGrath like the guy in a Western who's told to "dance" by the bad guy, before Lara saw them through.

It's in here. Along with the Sri Lanka heist earlier this year and Nathan Astle going berserk (in a losing cause),  Lara's 153* is the only final innings piece of genius that compares to what happened today. 

-

Guest Bob Mahelp

England deservedly won because they managed to find the only batsman who could string together a decent score. 

England's first innings collapse disguised the fact that Australia batted like shit, and they lost the game by only managing 246 in the second innings in perfect conditions and on a pitch with no devils in it. I suspected at the time that they could be 50 runs short and so it proved. 

Labuschagne aside, not one Aussie looked like they could bat to save their lives. They desperately need Smith back for the next test to stand any chance. 

Did you predict they'd be 50 short on here? I'd be impressed by that.

England deservedly won because they managed to find the only batsman who could string together a decent score. 
England's first innings collapse disguised the fact that Australia batted like shit, and they lost the game by only managing 246 in the second innings in perfect conditions and on a pitch with no devils in it. I suspected at the time that they could be 50 runs short and so it proved. 
Labuschagne aside, not one Aussie looked like they could bat to save their lives. They desperately need Smith back for the next test to stand any chance. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, pandarilla said:

Did you predict they'd be 50 short on here? I'd be impressed by that.

Did you eyes see 'predicted' when I actually said 'suspected' ?

I'd be impressed by that. 

3 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:
On 23/08/2019 at 12:13, trainspotter said:
I have a ticket for Sunday. Optimism levels for seeing any play currently hovering around the 60 per cent mark.

Oh mate, hope you had an absolute cracker.

I did, cheers. 3 hours of solid drinking since that finished and I’m still in awe of what happened. There is nothing to beat live sport.

There’s a number of factors here, like Australia losing their one outstanding player...the only one in the two squads better than Stokes.

England also got lucky that Australia ran out of reviews....ironically if they applied fucking football’s soul destroying VAR that game would have went down as yet another routine win for the Aussies.

Australia’s panic fielding late in the game also cost them.

However, despite all of that Stokes performance today was nothing short of phenomenal and even as a non England fan, I’d have loved to have been at Headingley today to have witnessed something you will rarely, if ever, see again....

I know next to nothing about cricket, but happened to change channels and went to the cricket with England requiring 48 to win. I noticed they had one wicket left, so watched. Have to say, that was dramatic sport at its absolute best. Thrilling.