The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Anderson ruled out the remainder of the series

There goes any fast bowling selections the selectors might have had.

I’m a little surprised there’s not another batter, but perhaps other than Denly and Roy switching, I’d suggest they were always going to go with the same top seven anyway.

Steve Smith back batting against Derbs just now along with Mitch Marsh. Aus 200/2 which is already well ahead of Derbs score. Harris scored 64, Khawaja (the captain) scored 72.

Anderson out of the Ashes now.

Out cheaply.

Interesting that Khawaja is opening and Bancroft in the middle order for Australia. I reckon there might be changes for the 4th test.

Looks like they're going to swap Root and Denly. I don't think they want to throw Sibley in while the series is still live even if he's in better form than half the top order. If they lose at OT then I think you might see him play at the Oval.

Out cheaply.

Interesting that Khawaja is opening and Bancroft in the middle order for Australia. I reckon there might be changes for the 4th test.

The rumours were that Khawaja would open with Warner, Harris dropping out so maybe they were giving him the chance to open. Harris and Khawaja both batted well, but Khawaja slightly better and I think it’s a cert he’ll play at OT. I doubt we’ll see Bancroft again tbh, and if Harris does retain his opening spot, it’s almost certainly going to be Wade that’s dropped after today.

Siddle and Starc were both exceptional, think we’ve got to at least see Starc at OT.

Watching the Windies v India Test on Sky Sports Mix. That big spinner for the Windies, Rahkeem Cornwall, is some unit. He looks like he should be a running back in the NFL yet he has taken a wicket and also a catch at first slip. India currently 110-2 after lunch on day one having won the toss.

Guest Moomintroll
Craig Noverton more like.

Really surprised Pope or Sibley isnt there.  

Don't really know what else Dom Sibley can do, deserves his chance but doesn't seem to be happening while they stick with Denly who will have a limited timespan from here on in.

Shame for Anderson, he is only 25 wickets away from 600 in Tests and I fully expected him to take a big chunk out of that this summer. I can understand why they wanted to rush him back, but if he had been managed differently at the start of his injury he might have been fit for the last 2 tests.

16 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Shame for Anderson, he is only 25 wickets away from 600 in Tests and I fully expected him to take a big chunk out of that this summer. I can understand why they wanted to rush him back, but if he had been managed differently at the start of his injury he might have been fit for the last 2 tests.

Yep, it's all great in hindsight, but they shouldn't have rushed him back.

Looks like they're going to swap Root and Denly. I don't think they want to throw Sibley in while the series is still live even if he's in better form than half the top order. If they lose at OT then I think you might see him play at the Oval.

Swapping Roy and Denly, if that’s what you meant. I guess this will be the short term fix for the remainder of the Ashes. If it works, then great, but if it doesn’t it’ll be time for guys like Sibley and Crawley to get a shot.

It’s clear the selectors want continuity, as England have been pretty ‘meh’ in Tests this year and only Mo has found himself booted out of the Ashes side. Denly has been pretty ‘meh’ but is the only real option to open with Burns if they aren’t going to change the side. Roy is also pretty lucky that the team are clearly making space for him to find wherever henis comfortable at. Bairstow and especially Buttler can also thank the selectors continuity for what has been a pretty shit Ashes for both of them.

Guest Moomintroll

Swapping Roy and Denly, if that’s what you meant. I guess this will be the short term fix for the remainder of the Ashes. If it works, then great, but if it doesn’t it’ll be time for guys like Sibley and Crawley to get a shot.

It’s clear the selectors want continuity, as England have been pretty ‘meh’ in Tests this year and only Mo has found himself booted out of the Ashes side. Denly has been pretty ‘meh’ but is the only real option to open with Burns if they aren’t going to change the side. Roy is also pretty lucky that the team are clearly making space for him to find wherever henis comfortable at. Bairstow and especially Buttler can also thank the selectors continuity for what has been a pretty shit Ashes for both of them.

I am a rabid Lancashire CCC fan so will not countenance unwarranted criticism of Jos, but there needs to be a reshape of that top order based on form. Burns, Sibley, Root, Denly, Stokes,Roy, Bairstow is the way to go, followed by Woakes/Curran, Archer, Broad, Leach. Looking forward to the Winter tours, Jos needs to get some confidence back & show his form in the T20s because he just isn't performing in red ball cricket right now.

I am a rabid Lancashire CCC fan so will not countenance unwarranted criticism of Jos, but there needs to be a reshape of that top order based on form. Burns, Sibley, Root, Denly, Stokes,Roy, Bairstow is the way to go, followed by Woakes/Curran, Archer, Broad, Leach. Looking forward to the Winter tours, Jos needs to get some confidence back & show his form in the T20s because he just isn't performing in red ball cricket right now.

Once Ali gets his head right, you stick him at 8 and everyone else down one, and that’s pretty much as deep a lineup as England can produce. You then get into which of the batters plays at 2, 3/4 and 5/6. Which is pretty much the same debate as they’ve been having for three years.

To me, 5/6 is going to be one of Buttler and Roy, so then you’ve essentially got Denly, Sibley and Mystery Batter playing for two positions until Denly goes the way of Ballance, at which point Burns will forget how to hold a bat and so on and so forth.

Given the November tour of NZ has about 40 T20s before the 2 Tests, Buttler will probably regain his form there and book his Test place pretty comfortably. I’ve defended Denly (as he gets most of the blame while being far from the worst) but unless he goes and turns into Alastair Cook in the last 2 Tests, I’d take Sibley to the NZ and SA tours instead. It would be nice to see Curran get another shot, especially if Woakes doesn’t improve by the end of the Ashes.

India out for 416 in Kingston. Windies score a tragic 87/7 before stumps with Bumrah taking 6-16 as he wiped out their top order to 22-5. He then went off with cramp allowing the Windies to progress, then came back on later and took another wicket. Also became the third ever Indian to take a Test hatrick, an absolutely outstanding bowler.

India out for 416 in Kingston. Windies score a tragic 87/7 before stumps with Bumrah taking 6-16 as he wiped out their top order to 22-5. He then went off with cramp allowing the Windies to progress, then came back on later and took another wicket. Also became the third ever Indian to take a Test hatrick, an absolutely outstanding bowler.

India must have lost a few cheaply, they were over 400-7 last time I looked and they had just put on over 100 for the 8th wicket

Guest Moomintroll

Given the November tour of NZ has about 40 T20s before the 2 Tests, Buttler will probably regain his form there and book his Test place pretty comfortably. I’ve defended Denly (as he gets most of the blame while being far from the worst) but unless he goes and turns into Alastair Cook in the last 2 Tests, I’d take Sibley to the NZ and SA tours instead. It would be nice to see Curran get another shot, especially if Woakes doesn’t improve by the end of the Ashes.
Curran should get in ahead of Woakes on those tours as he is a far better option away from England, for whatever reason Woakes is a home conditions player who tends to be a shadow of himself everywhere else & Currans skiddy style lends itself perfectly to NZ & SA pitches.