The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Not read much of the previous posts so might have been mentioned but I have been watching cricket for 40 years and that is the best batting performance I have seen from 1 player. What a f*cking knock by Stokes - absolutely sensational.

I struggle to bring myself to back England at any sport but Stokes seems quite the phenomenon. He seems to thrive on pressure and the burden of responsibility. Even allowing for some scatter brained play and decision making from the Aussies at the end, that was some knock.

He has also been nominated for New Zealander of the year as well.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I struggle to bring myself to back England at any sport but Stokes seems quite the phenomenon. He seems to thrive on pressure and the burden of responsibility. Even allowing for some scatter brained play and decision making from the Aussies at the end, that was some knock.

He has also been nominated for New Zealander of the year as well.

He withdrew himself from the running of that award, he said he didn't feel it was right as he had chosen to represent England, and said that Kane Williamson would be the deserved winner.

He's a slam dunk for sports personality of the year though, and a knighthood really isn't out of the question. 2 of the biggest innings in the history of English cricket, only 6 weeks apart. Some guy.

He withdrew himself from the running of that award, he said he didn't feel it was right as he had chosen to represent England, and said that Kane Williamson would be the deserved winner.
He's a slam dunk for sports personality of the year though, and a knighthood really isn't out of the question. 2 of the biggest innings in the history of English cricket, only 6 weeks apart. Some guy.

I’d agree with that, unless the offended by everything club come out in force against him like they did to Tyson Fury.

I’d agree with that, unless the offended by everything club come out in force against him like they did to Tyson Fury.

Totally agree that Stokes was phenomenal but he needed someone to hang in with him. He needed Leach to leave balls, duck balls and play with a straight bat.

Test cricket can not be topped. That had everything. Australia fucked it big time.

What I also love about cricket, over football, is that the umpires have been absolutely abysmal however a big deal isn’t made. They make genuine mistakes but in football it’s over analysed and the spotlight is fully on them. 

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

An umpire missing that is poor.

One ball from Australia 2-0 up with 2 tests to play. 

IMG_20190826_002510.jpg

Yeah it’s poor but Australia’s review just before it was equally poor. It was always missing leg stump. Lyons missing that stumping was also abysmal.

How good is Warner in the slip though. He no Collingwood/Waugh at point but an unreal fielder. 

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Horrible decision by the umpire, I know Australia burned their reviews, but that’s inexcusable. About as plum as you can get. I’m trying to think why he’s not given it out, and I’m really struggling. 

Australia have thrown it away though, hopefully they’re fired up for Old Trafford next week and give England a doing. 

When I saw it first time I thought it was sliding down leg, it didn't look like it had straightened (possibly because it was full so hit the ground then pad very quickly). On Replay, it's a poor decision, but with only one look at it I can understand why it wasn't given.

4 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Horrible decision by the umpire, I know Australia burned their reviews, but that’s inexcusable. About as plum as you can get. I’m trying to think why he’s not given it out, and I’m really struggling. 

make up call for the anderson/taylor run-out fiasco in the opening game of the 2015 world cup - he was one of the officiating team involved there; good man, if you ask me...

As for the next test, I think Leach and Denly have proven they deserve a place in the side. The form worries at the moment are Roy and Buttler, with Woakes becoming poorer all-round since he has been dropped from the opening bowling pair. I wonder if we’ll see Denly open, with Roy at 4 or lower.

As for the Aussies, Smith and Labuschagne both have to play. Paine is the player that form would suggest should make way, but it’s probably going to have to be Head or Wade which seems a little unfair. I also think Harris has done enough to start again over Bancroft.

11 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

As for the next test, I think Leach and Denly have proven they deserve a place in the side. The form worries at the moment are Roy and Buttler, with Woakes becoming poorer all-round since he has been dropped from the opening bowling pair. I wonder if we’ll see Denly open, with Roy at 4 or lower.

As for the Aussies, Smith and Labuschagne both have to play. Paine is the player that form would suggest should make way, but it’s probably going to have to be Head or Wade which seems a little unfair. I also think Harris has done enough to start again over Bancroft.

Anderson in for Woakes and Curran for Buttler is my call for the fourth test. Roy will get the series opening, but my order would be Burns, Denly, Stokes, Root, Roy, Bairstow, Curran, Archer, Broad, Anderson, Leach

Anderson in for Woakes and Curran for Buttler is my call for the fourth test. Roy will get the series opening, but my order would be Burns, Denly, Stokes, Root, Roy, Bairstow, Curran, Archer, Broad, Anderson, Leach

You can’t go into a key Ashes test with the tail that long. Archer is a number 10 batsman at test level. If Ali was on form, you’d bring him in for Leach and bat him above Curran, but alas he’s not.

In truth, I’d probably leave the team unchanged.

26 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

You can’t go into a key Ashes test with the tail that long. Archer is a number 10 batsman at test level. If Ali was on form, you’d bring him in for Leach and bat him above Curran, but alas he’s not.

In truth, I’d probably leave the team unchanged.

If Anderson is fit, he plays. Broad and Archer are currently undroppable, and you have to play a spinner at Old Trafford, so Woakes seems the only one that can be dropped. And Curran is a bat focused all rounder, and is currently better than Buttler.

Edited by die hard doonhamer