The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Looking like Smith, Mitch Marsh and Starc will come in for Harris, Wade and Pattinson. Slightly harsh on Pattinson and Siddle I’d say but that’s the depth of Australia’s fast bowling.

Warner

Khawaja

Labuschagne

Smith

Head

Marsh

Paine

Cummins

Starc

Lyon

Hazlewood

Langer had pretty much said at the start of the series that he would be rotating all the seamers.

Tbh I thought he might have brought Starc in at Headingley with the short turn around between tests 2 and 3.

Guest Moomintroll
Did anyone see the Windies stinking the place out last night.
76-7 or something like that.  Bumrah got a hat trick and 6 wickets.  His run up is hilarious.
He is some bowler but that run up drives me nuts, would hate to be facing him.

Windies went down for 117. India haven’t exactly started well at 46/3, Rahul and Agarwal fell early and Virat went for a golden duck. Pujara and Rahane (both very good test players) battling along right now with a lead of 345 on Day 3.

Meanwhile in Pallekele, NZ beat a young SL side by 5 wickets with 3 balls to go in a T20. Guptill and Munro fell early (the latter a golden duck to Lord Lasith), but Ross Taylor and de Grandhomme finished SL off.

Windies went down for 117. India haven’t exactly started well at 46/3, Rahul and Agarwal fell early and Virat went for a golden duck. Pujara and Rahane (both very good test players) battling along right now with a lead of 345 on Day 3. 

Meanwhile in Pallekele, NZ beat a young SL side by 5 wickets with 3 balls to go in a T20. Guptill and Munro fell early (the latter a golden duck to Lord Lasith), but Ross Taylor and de Grandhomme finished SL off.

India currently 464 in front with 6 wickets left. Kohli just signalled two out to the batsmen during the drinks break, so would have to guess that means 2 more overs and give them a crack at the Windies for the last hour or so.

Edit: they do declare, 467 in front.

The met office forecast isn't too bad, looks like a few hours will be lost on Wednesday and Friday, but ok other than that. 
Will be more than a few hours from the ones I've looked at, it does say light rain but it's to be pretty persistent throughout those two days. My mate is going down on Saturday and it looks like he will see a full day's play.

37 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:
The met office forecast isn't too bad, looks like a few hours will be lost on Wednesday and Friday, but ok other than that. 

Will be more than a few hours from the ones I've looked at, it does say light rain but it's to be pretty persistent throughout those two days. My mate is going down on Saturday and it looks like he will see a full day's play.

I'm there Thurs-Sat, hopeful I'll get 2 full days at least.

Denly saying that he's going to open and Roy will bat at 4. Seems like trying to square a circle tbh.
Yep. It does seem baffling that it appears looking at the county championship and picking the best English opener is a step too far for the selectors.

On 26/08/2019 at 16:02, Fuctifano said:

Yeah I think for the Aussies Khawaja would be the most under threat with Labuschagne moving to 3. They might rotate the bowlers again with Starc coming in for Pattinson.

Khawaja binned by Oz and Pattinson back out again, Starc will probably get the last spot ahead of Siddle.

Khawaja binned by Oz and Pattinson back out again, Starc will probably get the last spot ahead of Siddle.

The Aussie media getting everything wrong then. They were convinced Harris and Wade were getting the axe along with the obvious Pattinson dropping for Starc. Interesting that one of the Aussie coaches was saying they’d probably try Mitch Marsh instead of Wade, and now it hasn’t happened. Khawaja averages 96 as an opener, which is probably why the media thought he’d open.

Marsh being left out probably helps Siddle’s case, as Starc can be quite expensive at times and Marsh gives extra bowling cover that isn’t a part time bowler such as Labuschagne or Head.

13 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

The Aussie media getting everything wrong then. They were convinced Harris and Wade were getting the axe along with the obvious Pattinson dropping for Starc. Interesting that one of the Aussie coaches was saying they’d probably try Mitch Marsh instead of Wade, and now it hasn’t happened. Khawaja averages 96 as an opener, which is probably why the media thought he’d open.

Marsh being left out probably helps Siddle’s case, as Starc can be quite expensive at times and Marsh gives extra bowling cover that isn’t a part time bowler such as Labuschagne or Head.

Mitchell Starc playing means a reprise of the Mitchell Johnson song, albeit it doesn't scan quite as well.  

ETA: Craig Overton in for Chris Woakes.  Very surprised by that, and a pretty lengthy tail if he's batting at 8.

Edited by Savage Henry

Mitchell Starc playing means a reprise of the Mitchell Johnson song, albeit it doesn't scan quite as well.  

ETA: Craig Overton in for Chris Woakes.  Very surprised by that, and a pretty lengthy tail if he's batting at 8.

Very surprised with Overton getting the nod over Woakes and Curran as he’s probably the weakest batsman and is never going to take Archer and Broad’s places as a main bowler. Woakes certainly dipped after the first test, when he was dropped from the opening bowling pair to make way for Archer, but given the chances England have dishes out to some others it’s a bit of a shock.

Denly opening is definitely better than Roy opening, although I think it should just be a temporary measure until the end of the Ashes. Denly will be less rash than Roy and if he can plod along to a 50 like last time then I think that’s all we can ask of him, given England’s opener troubles. I also think Australia have really figured out Burns too, which is a worry.

ETA - I think if Starc plays, that tail will get absolutely blitzed by his yorkers. You’d have thought they’d want as short a tail as possible knowing that he might play.