The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Yes, but to me, who knows nothing about cricket, England should be about 5-2 down at this point. 
To me, this situation would be like Australia being 5-2 up with half an hour to go, but being told its a draw if it reaches 90 minutes and they've not scored 7 goals.
Stop comparing it to football.

I also love the genius that a draw is different from a tie (where the scores are level after all four innings).

Am I right in saying there's only ever been one tie in test cricket? A windies game?

Guest Moomintroll
I think all we've gained here is that I've no idea about cricket, and its not the sport for me. 
Sorry if I've ruined the thread any.
Don't worry about it, you asked the questions & got some answers. There are plenty of sports I really don't understand.

Guest Bob Mahelp

English cricket crowds are the sporting equivalent of the pissed-up Essex lads holiday to Benidorm.  Full of drunk 'look at me' gammons all trying to out-lad each other. 

They're reason enough to hope that England get humped. 

Guest Moomintroll
English cricket crowds are the sporting equivalent of the pissed-up Essex lads holiday to Benidorm.  Full of drunk 'look at me' gammons all trying to out-lad each other. 
The vast majority are nothing of the sort, you do get the "lads,lads,lads" tossers in the Party stands but the rest of the crowd are knowledgable cricket supporters in my experience. I am always astonished as to how many Scottish people I meet when I go to Old Trafford at both International & County games.

22 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Yes, but to me, who knows nothing about cricket, England should be about 5-2 down at this point. 
To me, this situation would be like Australia being 5-2 up with half an hour to go, but being told its a draw if it reaches 90 minutes and they've not scored 7 goals.

The issue is that you are applying rules from other Sports to come to that conclusion, Cricket has a different set of rules & if you want to win a Test Match then you have to take 20 wickets & score more runs than the other team. ODI's & T20 matches are more straightforward in that, if you bowl the other team out, or score mores run than them in the alloted overs then you win but Tests have that 3rd option which is equally fascinating if you are a supporter. England won The Ashes a while back because Jimmy Anderson & Monty Panesar, who are dugshite with the bat managed to keep out the Aussies to get a draw, it is a long game in every sense of the word.

I can think of a recent ODI where a team won despite scoring the same number of runs and taking fewer wickets than their opponents :whistle

This is harsh.

I don't think any group from any country are going to look non-cunty after a 3 or 4 hour session drinking in the sun.

Guest Moomintroll
I can think of a recent ODI where a team won despite scoring the same number of runs and taking fewer wickets than their opponents :whistle
Don't bring that up again, people have finally stopped mumping about it even though everyone knew the, in my opinion nonsensical, rules beforehand.

Two tied Tests that I can remember, Windies v Australia yonks ago & Australia v India in the late 80s. Can anyone remember any others?

According to Wikipedia that’s the only two tied tests ever in about 2000 test matches

West Indies vs Australia 1960 Brisbane

Australia vs India 1986 Madras (now Chennai)

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think all we've gained here is that I've no idea about cricket, and its not the sport for me. 

Sorry if I've ruined the thread any.

Honestly, we've all been there.  Drop on in any time.  It is, unquestionably, the best beer sport in the world, if nothing else.

11 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
15 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The vast majority are nothing of the sort, you do get the "lads,lads,lads" tossers in the Party stands but the rest of the crowd are knowledgable cricket supporters in my experience. I am always astonished as to how many Scottish people I meet when I go to Old Trafford at both International & County games.

Agreed.  I think the Barmy Army are, on the whole, a decent sort.  Look at the way that they're responding to Smith (knowing how good he is) and to Warner (knowing that he's buckled under the pressure).  Guarantee Smith gets a huge standing ovation at the end of the series.  

I would say, though, that you need to pick your stands very carefully when going to watch England.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That review was ridiculous - not out a mile as he got a big edge on it before it hit his pads- not out given because it wasn't in line.

I liked when he said he didn't have enough evidence to overturn the decision despite it being blatantly obvious it had hit the bat before the pad.

Guest Moomintroll

According to Wikipedia that’s the only two tied tests ever in about 2000 test matches

West Indies vs Australia 1960 Brisbane

Australia vs India 1986 Madras (now Chennai)

Thought that second game was 88/89 to be honest.

Do you think it hit the bat first? Genuinely?

Nasser going on about using your eyes.
It's a TV picture, it's not 100% accurate in terms of perception. VAR in football has the same problem. You can't make a decision just based on the image which is why they need ultra edge and hotspot.