The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Warner has funnily enough contributed in the field, taking several excellent catches but Broad has totally got the measure of him this series, the only thing that might save DW for the Oval is the lack of a viable replacement opener, both Bancroft and Khawaja have been extremely poor with the bat.

Smith, Laubashagne and the bowlers essentially playing England themselves this series. 

If England can somehow get the limpet out this could get interesting. Have to say that Stuart Broad has well & truly shut me up over the course of this series so far.

He does that pretty much every other series. He’s been magnificent all series.

Interesting that the England team huddle before this innings it was Ben Stokes giving the team talk while captain Joe Root looked totally rudderless, his captaincy of the test side has been the subject of much scrutiny and criticism, Stokes, even aside from his Headingley heroics seems a much stronger and passionate individual to me, might a change in captaincy be mooted after this series. 

Regardless of anything, Stokes rallying the troops while Captain Root stayed silent and looked rather uncomfortable it has to be said definitely undermines him in my opinion, I can't be the only one to think that. 

Just as I type this Archer rearranged Travis Head's stumps for him, Australia 44 for 4, game on here...

Interesting that the England team huddle before this innings it was Ben Stokes giving the team talk while captain Joe Root looked totally rudderless, his captaincy of the test side has been the subject of much scrutiny and criticism, Stokes, even aside from his Headingley heroics seems a much stronger and passionate individual to me, might a change in captaincy be mooted after this series.  Regardless of anything, Stokes rallying the troops while Captain Root stayed silent and looked rather uncomfortable it has to be said definitely undermines him in my opinion, I can't be the only one to think that. 

Just as I type this Archer rearranged Travis Head's stumps for him, Australia 44 for 4, game on here...

If you ever watch Root on the ground, off camera, before games, he’s got quite a different character - much more outgoing than he’d seem at first. Bit like Atherton in that regard. Cerebral, but not outspoken. Root’s a good guy. No story there. More than one leader in a team.

That’s an absolute belter by Archer. He’s a genuine talent in the making there.

Edit: TMS is utterly brilliant on days like this, where the crowd is up and the quirks are on the charge. A beer in the garden, and TMS on the iPad. Very little better in life.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If they can get Smith this could be really interesting.

Yeah, Smith is the key wicket here, get him out and England may have a target they could have an outside chance of chasing down like Headingley, if he digs in and manages even a 50 it will be a case of having to bat the day out tomorrow for a draw. 

Interesting that the England team huddle before this innings it was Ben Stokes giving the team talk while captain Joe Root looked totally rudderless, his captaincy of the test side has been the subject of much scrutiny and criticism, Stokes, even aside from his Headingley heroics seems a much stronger and passionate individual to me, might a change in captaincy be mooted after this series. 
Regardless of anything, Stokes rallying the troops while Captain Root stayed silent and looked rather uncomfortable it has to be said definitely undermines him in my opinion, I can't be the only one to think that. 

Mind you cricket captaincy involved a lot more than just geeing up your team. Captains are constantly managing the details of the game

Sometimes you’d rather they were cool and calculating than strong and passionate.

How much will Stokes last match weigh on Paines choice for a declaration? The wicket seems to be misbehaving but Root, Burns and Stokes have made scores recently while the likes of Bairstow could fire at some point. I suspect Paine will be cautious, declare close to 6 but the England batting will fail to hold out tomorrow. 

Smith is looking to score quickly here. I think they'll try to accelerate to about 380-400 of a lead which I reckon will be time to get One of the openers out and give England about a 20/80 chance of batting out a draw tomorrow.

ETA: 50 up for Smith. He's just ridiculous.

This is amazing. No idea how he does it.
He's something else. I've been watching cricket since Warner's ball of the century debut and I've never seen anyone score so heavily innings after innings. He's treating Broad with absolutely no respect, who appears to be losing his shit somewhat, having just bowled a wide to the rope about 10 feet away from Bairstow [emoji23]