The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England playing a 2-day match against a very young NZ XI. Crawley and Sibley both made 100 before retiring. Burns got 23. Root and Pope not out on 41 and 9 respectively at stumps.
One of the accusations levelled at a lot of touring teams is that the warm up matches are never hard enough these days. Never mind the quality of the opposition, I find the rules in place for some of these games strange too. England had 13 batsmen, and it was pre agreed that England would bat all day regardless of how many wickets they lost. As it turned out it was a shortened day anyway due to the weather, but to me you are introducing a mindset that it doesn't matter if I get put out, I can maybe get another shot later.

One of the accusations levelled at a lot of touring teams is that the warm up matches are never hard enough these days. Never mind the quality of the opposition, I find the rules in place for some of these games strange too. England had 13 batsmen, and it was pre agreed that England would bat all day regardless of how many wickets they lost. As it turned out it was a shortened day anyway due to the weather, but to me you are introducing a mindset that it doesn't matter if I get put out, I can maybe get another shot later.

The NZ-XI was also mainly teenagers. Tour matches are getting easier and easier and personally I think anything less than 3 days is just a nets session.

22 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

The NZ-XI was also mainly teenagers. Tour matches are getting easier and easier and personally I think anything less than 3 days is just a nets session.

They would be as well taking enough of the England Lions squad along with them to make up two teams among themselves, I really don't see what these type of "easy" warm up games achieve. Admittedly the guys who have just flown out need to get over the jetlag and used to the change of time zone, but the bowling machines would provide as much of a test.

They would be as well taking enough of the England Lions squad along with them to make up two teams among themselves, I really don't see what these type of "easy" warm up games achieve. Admittedly the guys who have just flown out need to get over the jetlag and used to the change of time zone, but the bowling machines would provide as much of a test.

England batting into the 2nd and final day now. Root retired on 41 along with Sibley and Crawley so Buttler came in to join Pope. Pope is out now and Stokes is in smashing balls around.

Pakistan will play their two Tests against Sri Lanka in December in their homeland, playing the two matches that make up part of the World Test Championship in Rawalpindi and Karachi. It's now 10 years since the Sri Lankan team bus was attacked in Lahore.

13 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Root saying he will go back to 4 for the NZ Tests, with Denly likely dropping to 3. I’m guessing the lineup will look something like this:

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root ©
Pope
Stokes
Buttler (WK)
Woakes/Curran
Archer
Broad
Leach

I’d probably go for Curran over Woakes, with Crawley, Mahmood and Parkinson missing out too.

I think you're probably right, although I'd keep Stokes at 5 and Pope at 6 with that line up. Personally, I wouldn't bother with Pope and would bat Curran at 6 though.

I think you're probably right, although I'd keep Stokes at 5 and Pope at 6 with that line up. Personally, I wouldn't bother with Pope and would bat Curran at 6 though.

Stokes and Pope swapping places is fine with me. I think Sam Curran has potential to play a #6 all-rounder type role in the future, but with Stokes, Root and Denly all able to bowl, it’s unlikely Curran will be above 8 for now I reckon.

I’d have him in ahead of Woakes though. As well as Woakes’ poor away record, he wasn’t exactly brilliant in the Ashes bar the first Test, although maybe that was just a long summer taking its toll and I’m being too harsh.

2 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Stokes and Pope swapping places is fine with me. I think Sam Curran has potential to play a #6 all-rounder type role in the future, but with Stokes, Root and Denly all able to bowl, it’s unlikely Curran will be above 8 for now I reckon.

I’d have him in ahead of Woakes though. As well as Woakes’ poor away record, he wasn’t exactly brilliant in the Ashes bar the first Test, although maybe that was just a long summer taking its toll and I’m being too harsh.

I think that's all fair, and I agree with Curran ahead of Woakes.

Another option is to not play Leach. Root and Denly are good enough spin options in non-spinning conditions to go with just them.

Bancroft gets a strange amount of chances from Australia

Wasn’t even supposed to be playing in that tour match, either. Thought Burns was very unlucky to miss out on ashes selection, and although he’s not been in great form so far this Aussie summer, I think he’ll get the nod for the gabba test. Hopefully he can nail down that opening spot because Harris and Bancroft are no use. Yes, Harris scores tonnes in the Sheffield shield but his numbers are extremely skewered by playing on absolute roads in Victoria (From 2017/18 onwards he averages 82 at home, and 32 away). Travis Head is another play I like, and hopefully he can have a good summer despite a poor start.

Keep forgetting England are playing the next tour match (3 days I believe) right now. New Zealand A made 302/6d yesterday. Burns and Sibley have both fallen for 14, nightwatchman Leach is in with Denly who looks to be scoring fast. This tour side looks a lot stronger than the teenage XI that provided net practice in that pointless game last time out.

Edit - Leach gone for 22, Root in and gone for 2, Stokes in and gone for 3. 105/5 now with Denly and Pope in the middle.