The Cricket Thread

bewlay

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

England take the 3rd new ball and give it to Curran and Stokes. Think Root might be actively trying to get the captaincy taken off him.

He also waited way too long to bring himself and Leach on.

All that is currently happening is time disappearing from the game. This really should finish up as a draw, but I expect England will find a way to lose it.

As much as some of England's decision making is baffling, I can't really understand the Kiwis approach either. England did bowl well this morning, but I thought NZ would have tried to up the run rate a bit.

Yeah. They’ve upped it with, I assume, the view of a declaration, but it’s going to be hard for both teams to bat again in the time they have left.

Guest Moomintroll
There can be very few more annoying things in sport than the fat, pink, pished up arseholes that make up the self annointed  'Barmy Army'. 
What a feckin embarrassment they are. 
The real, original Barmy Army are good prople who do a lot of Charity work before, during & after tours to the Subcontinent & the Windies. Unfortunately over the years they have attracted a load of hangers on who just want to get drunk & act like knobends, substitute the word Barmy for Tartan & Subcontinent for Eastern Europe.

Guest Moomintroll
England take the 3rd new ball and give it to Curran and Stokes. Think Root might be actively trying to get the captaincy taken off him.
How did they manage to ruin Jofra Archer so quickly? I am close to the dummy spitting stage here but promote Ben Stokes to 3, give him the captaincy & make it clear he is the 6th bowling option. Whatever Chris Silverwood has said to Root, it is clearly not enough. Stokes is mentally strong enough to not care if he is in first drop whereas it scrambled Roots mind.

How did they manage to ruin Jofra Archer so quickly? I am close to the dummy spitting stage here but promote Ben Stokes to 3, give him the captaincy & make it clear he is the 6th bowling option. Whatever Chris Silverwood has said to Root, it is clearly not enough. Stokes is mentally strong enough to not care if he is in first drop whereas it scrambled Roots mind.
I really can't get what they are doing with Archer. They wanted him in the setup because he had the X factor they were missing, a 95mph bowler. During the Ashes his speed dropped off notably compared to the world cup, and that has continued here. If he is bowling at 87/88 mph then he is not really any different from what they already had available, and certainly can't swing it like Broad, Anderson and even Curran/Woakes, although nobody can get it to move in these conditions anyway, so the extra pace could be the thing that makes the difference.

Went is archer not bowling fast then? Is it tactical or tiredness?

He's fucking useless without it.
At the start of the Ashes he reached 96mph a couple of times, the one that rattled Steve Smith on the head was close to 93 mph, but his speed in this test (and the last couple of Ashes tests) has been consistently around 88 mph. Still quick, but definitely not as threatening as he was at the start of the summer.

Guest Moomintroll
Went is archer not bowling fast then? Is it tactical or tiredness?

He's fucking useless without it.
They are ruining him quickly, someone needs to rattle Devon Malcolms lid & appoint him as Bowling Coach. Jofra will be skittling them left, right & centre if that happens. Bowl at the stumps, not at a patch of air 2 foot above the batters head.

They are ruining him quickly, someone needs to rattle Devon Malcolms lid & appoint him as Bowling Coach. Jofra will be skittling them left, right & centre if that happens. Bowl at the stumps, not at a patch of air 2 foot above the batters head.

The whole bouncer thing is becoming a bit obsessive. Yes well done Jofra you banged the best batsman in the world on the head because you couldn’t get him out, and your reward was England winning the 3rd Test in a drawn series at home.

The whole Leach thing is becoming obsessive too, he’s more known for being a nightwatchman than taking wickets and I actually found it slightly funny when he was dismissed for a duck right at the end of the day, even if it wasn’t out.