The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Looking at the England side for the first test. On paper that is a very long batting line up with leach and Broad really the only tail enders, although I'll be the first to admit Archer has to show up with bat as well as ball this tour

Expecting a close, tough two Test matches but I give NZ the edge. Williamson, Latham, Taylor, Watling, Nicholls and Raval is a very good batting lineup at Test level. Add in de Grandhomme who can bat a bit. Their bowling attack looks phenomenal with Boult, Southee, Wagner and Santner. Ferguson and Henry can’t even get in the team. I’d have them both in England’s team easily.

Guest Moomintroll

Expecting a close, tough two Test matches but I give NZ the edge. Williamson, Latham, Taylor, Watling, Nicholls and Raval is a very good batting lineup at Test level. Add in de Grandhomme who can bat a bit. Their bowling attack looks phenomenal with Boult, Southee, Wagner and Santner. Ferguson and Henry can’t even get in the team. I’d have them both in England’s team easily.
Can see NZ edging it 1 nil with the other match being a 1500+ run aggregrate draw. For the first time in a long while, I can see England accumulating then attacking later instead of trying win in 3 days & throwing away wickets.

Be really interested to see if there really is a change in team dynamics with silverwood in charge. Players like Buttler natural instinct to attack and IMHO one of Root's greatest attributes is that he scores quickly and applies scoreboard pressure. Getting Root at 4 obviously a good decision. For the first time in a long time the England opening pairing look like proper openers, not shoehorned in there. NZ is likely the most English conditions they'll get in an away test.

Be really interested to see if there really is a change in team dynamics with silverwood in charge. Players like Buttler natural instinct to attack and IMHO one of Root's greatest attributes is that he scores quickly and applies scoreboard pressure. Getting Root at 4 obviously a good decision. For the first time in a long time the England opening pairing look like proper openers, not shoehorned in there. NZ is likely the most English conditions they'll get in an away test.
If the top 4 can consistently provide a solid start then that would give the like of Buttler and Stokes license to cut loose, but number one priority has to be to stop finding themselves at 50-60 with 3 or 4 wickets down which has happened all too often in the last few years.

8 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Burns was out there, gets another life. Sibley looks decent so far, certainly better than Roy ever looked. I really like this ground too.

Yeah Burns got away with one there.

My parents are going to this test for a day (day 3, I think). I'm hugely envious. Really cheap too, was only about £20 a ticket.

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Yeah Burns got away with one there.

My parents are going to this test for a day (day 3, I think). I'm hugely envious. Really cheap too, was only about £20 a ticket.

It's wild how cheap cricket tickets are over there compared to how expensive everything else is. I was living there in 2008 and got an all-5 day ticket to the Wellington test for about £50 at the time, even paid extra to get hospitality with the club I was playing for at the time for the Sunday. Went back over for the 2015 World Cup and tickets for Scotland - Afghan* and UAE - Pakistan were (NZ)$20 while a 330ml beer in the ground was $9 and a burger $10

*top 3 Scottish sporting heartbreaks there, I injured myself celebrating the 9th wicket then that c**t with the long hair and the other boy with the headband knocked off the last 20 😭

On 17/03/2008 at 08:37, Fuctifano said:

That was great entertainment, my first Test match and I'd highly recommend it. The Basin is a fantastic place to watch cricket, the atmosphere is tremendous and it's great that it was full or very nearly full on all the first 4 days.

Had a prawn sandwich seat on day 3, right behind bowler's arm, and guys like Hadlee, Wright, and Collinge sitting in the seats just behind me. Day 4 was hospitality, great fun.

All down to the last match now- McLean Park in Napier is the other venue I've been to in NZ (was travelling through there when the Blackcaps were playing Bangladesh in an ODI), it has the reputation of being a featherbed, and the ground is a funny shape, more of a rectangle than an oval and the square boundaries are ridiculously short. I think I'd back a high-scoring draw at this stage.

Ha, just realised that this thread has been running so long I posted at the time.