The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England finish on 241/4, after some Ben Stokes specials. Possibly their day, just about.
Could have been better for the Kiwis if Ross Taylor hadn't been having a kip in the slips a couple of times. Signs of a more pragmatic approach at times from England, in keeping with the new coach's wish to get back to occupying the crease as well as scoring runs. Denly carrying on his form from the summer, unfortunately so did Root.

Good day for England although I reckon there is still work to be done. Burns looked okay but had a couple of let-offs, Sibley was decent-ish for a debutant, the much criticised Denly once again looks like one of the more competent batsmen, Root disappointing and Stokes looking good. I reckon the par score on this pitch will be fairly high so would be looking for a 350+ score. NZ bowled reasonably well but could have had England 6 or 7 down.

Really like Pope. Much prefer him to Bairstow right now.

Yeah. He has a bit of the Ian Bell about him... and as I type that TMS mention that.

On that note, Steve Finn is excellent. Mark Ramprakash less so, but it’s hard to beat drifting off to sleep to TMS.

Yeah. He has a bit of the Ian Bell about him... and as I type that TMS mention that.

On that note, Steve Finn is excellent. Mark Ramprakash less so, but it’s hard to beat drifting off to sleep to TMS.

Really fluent and easy on the eye. Seems to have a fair bit of a patience and he’s only 21. His first-class stars are crazy so I think we could be seeing a lot of Pope over the next 10 years.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think that’s probably right. 325 might be enough to make a competitive game. Might.

The way the sky pundits were talking earlier they were saying 400+. Again though I have no idea if they were talking shite or not.