The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Its tea and after a tremendous start England have just had a shocker of an hour with Pant smashing it everywhere.  Poor leach is away to see if his head can get reattached.  Ali a must for next test.

Meanwhile in Pakistan Rizwan hits an excellent ton to put the Saffers in the shit  and in Bangladesh  the Windies are showing a bit of fight for once and could scrape a draw.

I love test match creeeekkkiiittt.

Edit.  Pujara goes unluckily and I didn't realise there was so many over left as the Windies are going to win.

Edited by Tynierose

These Indian commentators are as biased as you get.  One of them appears to be arguing that India are ahead, or at least level pegging in the game.  

England’s spinners are bowling rubbish. Oddly, Jack Leach is getting far more spin than Bess, but he’s going at 9 an over.  Ali needs to come in and, hopefully, never leave.  The other two can rotate.  

Edited by Savage Henry

Agree with the others that Ali should return for the 2nd test. I still think he's England's best red ball spinner, it's often been the conception that he should be a 2nd all rounder that has let him down as he's struggled with the bat at times. There's no doubt in my mind that Leach needs dropped, he's just too expensive

These Indian commentators are as biased as you get.  One of them appears to be arguing that India are ahead, or at least level pegging in the game.  

England’s spinners are bowling rubbish. Oddly, Jack Leach is getting far more spin than Bess, but he’s going at 9 an over.  Ali needs to come in and, hopefully, never leave.  The other two can rotate.  
One of them was on the verge of tears yesterday when India had no reviews left to look at the one that turned out Buttler had nicked behind. He was basically saying the 3rd umpire should be intervening at anytime if the on field decision was wrong. [emoji23]

England now 300 ahead with two wickets down. Root has come in and looked on a different planet again, has hit 21 from 11 so far and just took Ashwin for 14 runs in an over. An absolute joy to watch him right now, one of the best English players of spin I have ever seen.

I know someone mentioned it the other day but they flashed a graphic up there. All of the Indian top 7 average above 40. England need a lead of 410+. India doing great job of negative bowling, taking time and overs off the board without conceding runs.

4 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

I know someone mentioned it the other day but they flashed a graphic up there. All of the Indian top 7 average above 40. England need a lead of 410+. India doing great job of negative bowling, taking time and overs off the board without conceding runs.

I reckon 400 is enough. 425 if you are being cautious.  They’re probably far enough head now, but the West Indies gave everyone something to think about. 

This is tactically ridiculous by England, cannot understand why still batting.

If they feel they cannot defend 400 runs then they should give up.   This is a great opportunity to win a test yet they seem to be more scared of losing it than actually grabbing the opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

This is tactically ridiculous by England, cannot understand why still batting.

If they feel they cannot defend 400 runs then they should give up.   This is a great opportunity to win a test yet they seem to be more scared of losing it than actually grabbing the opportunity.

They basically declared after your post...

England have put themselves under needless pressure with the lack of declaration.

I've no idea why buttler and pope/bess didn't just throw the sink at it for a few overs and then take more time against top order. Its going to be gruelling, and they needed the runs, but the ridiculous slow scoring rate and then putting in the tail was just daft.