Jehovah's Witnesses

Swampy

Argyle St exit from Central has had Watchtower folk outside every day for at least a couple of months morning and evening. They're nothing if not persistent, they just stand there though. And the majority look exceptionally middle class.

They'll be Sergeant Wilson's relatives.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argyle St exit from Central has had Watchtower folk outside every day for at least a couple of months morning and evening. They're nothing if not persistent, they just stand there though. And the majority look exceptionally middle class.

Aye, apparently they've abandoned the door-to-door routine that has served them so well in the past - I see three or four of them every morning in Dalkeith, and then another bunch on the corner of Forest Road/Lauriston Place up town - much more of a soft sell these days.

The question is, if there are only 144,000 places in paradise, why are they so keen to keep recruiting?

• 4 weeks later...

Went to school with a nice lassie whose parents were JWs, and it randomly came up in class that they don't celebrate Christmas. Cue astonished meltdown from the rest of the school.

Naturally, this led to her spending December every year with total randoms coming up to ask her if it was true that she didn't celebrate Christmas. Figured she should've just asked for special dispensation to have it written on her uniform.

I presume the kids from other faith backgrounds were too savvy to say anything...

Went to school with a nice lassie whose parents were JWs, and it randomly came up in class that they don't celebrate Christmas. Cue astonished meltdown from the rest of the school.

Naturally, this led to her spending December every year with total randoms coming up to ask her if it was true that she didn't celebrate Christmas. Figured she should've just asked for special dispensation to have it written on her uniform.

I presume the kids from other faith backgrounds were too savvy to say anything...

Some of my old family friends don't celebrate Christmas

As a complete atheist, I couldn't have any issue not celebrating Christmas as I find the whole incredibly hypocritical. However, such an act would give the situation you've mentioned so it's easier just to go along with the flow.

August and I'm talking about Christmas. <_

I sat and watched them for a while when they were building the Dalkeith place beside the car park. There were hundreds of them. They swarmed all over the building like a plague of locusts. When they were putting the tiles on the roof it looked like some sort of superspeed cartoon as they all scrambled about the place.

They also built a meeting hall in Muirhouse. Start to finish in one day!

I sat and watched them for a while when they were building the Dalkeith place beside the car park. There were hundreds of them. They swarmed all over the building like a plague of locusts. When they were putting the tiles on the roof it looked like some sort of superspeed cartoon as they all scrambled about the place.

They also built a meeting hall in Muirhouse. Start to finish in one day!

Better watch what you say. You might wake up one morning and find an Amish congregation putting a barn up in your back garden.

Ah. What's the difference between a Lada and a Jehovah's Witness??

It's less embarrassing being photographed slipping out the back of a Jehovah's Witness?

Calum Gilhooley has to be one of TV's greatest characters of all time. It's worth watching Absolutely just for his sketches.

I'm convinced there's a few Gilhooleys on this forum.

Eta: the baby sketch at 8mins on that link is superb!

I used to work with a lady who was Jewish and therefore, didn't celebrate Christmas. A lot of our co-workers simply couldn't get their heads around this and a few seemed to think it was only because she hadn't heard about it. "OK, I get that you're Jewish but why would you not want to celebrate Christmas?" etc. She told me it was routine for people to invite her over for Christmas dinner as if they were thinking "All she needs is to eat some turkey while wearing a paper hat and she'll soon see what she's been missing."

Archived