Official P&b Cycling Thread

Took myself out for a spin with the plans of heading to largs got to bishopton and disaster struck gear lever at the back snapped off thought the bike was gubbed apparently it is designed to snap off. So took it into shop hopefully have it back tomorrow. Thought my 100 mile trip was under threat

Hi guys, looking at possibly getting myself a bike for commuting to work however don't know a great deal about bikes and was looking for some help from you guys. My commute to work is about 9 miles each way (Paisley to Glasgow), I have a had a look on the net and Hybrid bikes seem to be recommended for what I'm needed. Can anyone provide suggestions for suitable bikes? Budget will be about £00-350 max prob. Cheers.

60 miles today.

The highlight was when I headed up a queue at temporary traffic lights and glanced over my shoulder to find that all the cars lined up behind were classic jobs, the one directly behind being (I'd have thought) from the 30s or 40s, and the one behind that an E-Type Jag etc.

Anyway, I sprinted through the lights, and as this was obviously some kind of club day out convoy affair, I pulled in at the first opportunity so they didn't have to pass me one by one (I'm a good egg that way :P ). Each and every car that passed waved or peeped their horns in acknowledgement - a nice touch, I thought, and, that way, I got to see all the motors, some of which were very striking indeed :)

Hi guys, looking at possibly getting myself a bike for commuting to work however don't know a great deal about bikes and was looking for some help from you guys. My commute to work is about 9 miles each way (Paisley to Glasgow), I have a had a look on the net and Hybrid bikes seem to be recommended for what I'm needed. Can anyone provide suggestions for suitable bikes? Budget will be about £00-350 max prob. Cheers.

Hybrids aren't bad- but given the way this thread goes you'll be on a road bike in 2 months. Well maybe not but you start looking for more speed etc.laugh.gif

Im registered for pedal for scotland, just wondering, as a casual cyclist, how difficult is it? Im cycling a trek 4300 bike on it and although relatively fit, whenever i go out im usually struggling by the 20-25 mile mark. How much training should I be looking to put in and what would be a decent time be for someone like me whose main exerciseis the occasional game of fives? Is it a particularly hilly course as well?

Ive left myself a month to train for it and looking forward to it but also beginning to realise that I wont just be able to hop on my bike, go for 50 miles and jog home or something.

I suppose a lot will depend on how well you are looking to do on the day. If you don't have any particular level of expectation, then you just need to relax and look upon it as a fun day out with no pressure. It might be hard going at times if you're not used to cycling very far, but the occasion and atmosphere should carry you on. Pacing yourself is also key. Don't hammer it too early on. Clock who is round about you and find someone who doesn't seem too hardcore, but who looks fit enough, and use that person to pace youself in the initial stages. You might 'hit the wall' around the 35 or 40 mile mark, but that's common enough, and it's a case of gritting your teeth and getting on with it.

The Trek is a MTB bike AFAIK. What tyres do you have on it? If it has knobblies, take them off and fit a pair of semi-slicks, or even road specific tyres such as Schwalbe Marathons (good, bombproof tyres that can hack a great deal of varied terrain). The investment in a new set of tyres for the ride will make the world of difference.

PFS is in mid-September? You've got time to get a couple of 35 mile rides in before then. Decide you're going to take the bike out, set a route, and do it! You'll enjoy the ride on the day much more if the miles are in your legs as the bike-types say, and it won't seem so daunting. I'm doing the Glasgow 100 mile ride next weekend, and haven't cycled further than 70 but hope that I'll have enough in the tank on the day to complete the ride okay.

Edited by Drooper

I suppose a lot will depend on how well you are looking to do on the day. If you don't have any particular level of expectation, then you just need to relax and look upon it as a fun day out with no pressure. It might be hard going at times if you're not used to cycling very far, but the occasion and atmosphere should carry you on. Pacing yourself is also key. Don't hammer it too early on. Clock who is round about you and find someone who doesn't seem too hardcore, but who looks fit enough, and use that person to pace youself in the initial stages. You might 'hit the wall' around the 35 or 40 mile mark, but that's common enough, and it's a case of gritting your teeth and getting on with it.

The Trek is a MTB bike AFAIK. What tyres do you have on it? If it has knobblies, take them off and fit a pair of semi-slicks, or even road specific tyres such as Schwalbe Marathons (good, bombproof tyres that can hack a great deal of varied terrain). The investment in a new set of tyres for the ride will make the world of difference.

PFS is in mid-September? You've got time to get a couple of 35 mile rides in before then. Decide you're going to take the bike out, set a route, and do it! You'll enjoy the ride on the day much more if the miles are in your legs as the bike-types say, and it won't seem so daunting. I'm doing the Glasgow 100 mile ride next weekend, and haven't cycled further than 70 but hope that I'll have enough in the tank on the day to complete the ride okay.

I'm currently doing 10mile runs quite easily in 40mins and regularly with the occasional 30mile+ run every so often for PFS. I don't know the route this year, as it isn't up yet and finishes at Murrayfield, this year, but it was out Duke Street, Edinburgh Road, through Easterhouse, Coatbridge, Airdrie, Caldercruix to Linlithgow and then into Edinburgh. Uphill all the way to Caldercruix particularly from Coatbridge then mostly downhill, with occasional climbs.

You can get Schwalbe City Jet tyres for your MTB which I did on mine. They are cheap- £20 a pair ish, better than knobbly MTB tyres, good puncture protection, and hard wearing- however they are a bit of a heavy tyre and better rolling ones might be available.

Folks, The Pedal for Scotland 50 mile course is genuinely piss easy, no real hills to speak of, the only issue you may have is the weather. Last year it was a good day and the wind was at your back. With stops every 10 miles or so I reckon that most of you on here will be just fine.

With regards to transport - there are organised buses that run from Edinburgh to the start in Glasgow and also buses which run after the event back to Glasgow. As long as you can get to the start / finish point you can jump on one of these no problems.

Fortunately I work in Glasgow so will take the car through, dump it somewhere, cycle to the event and cycle back to SQ afterwards which is only a further 12 miles or so. Will get the train to work on Monday and pick the car up!!:D

Folks, The Pedal for Scotland 50 mile course is genuinely piss easy, no real hills to speak of, the only issue you may have is the weather. Last year it was a good day and the wind was at your back. With stops every 10 miles or so I reckon that most of you on here will be just fine.

With regards to transport - there are organised buses that run from Edinburgh to the start in Glasgow and also buses which run after the event back to Glasgow. As long as you can get to the start / finish point you can jump on one of these no problems.

Fortunately I work in Glasgow so will take the car through, dump it somewhere, cycle to the event and cycle back to SQ afterwards which is only a further 12 miles or so. Will get the train to work on Monday and pick the car up!!:D

The 100 mile route looks to be a challenge right enough. I'm swithering about entering that, but will see how I get on with the Glasgow 100 at the weekend. I might enter the 50 mile event and just enjoy the day out, or try for a decent pace, depending on whether I can be arsed on the day. Ah...decisions, decisions. It's great to have a few options, and plenty of levels of ride to choose from.

The 100 mile route looks to be a challenge right enough. I'm swithering about entering that, but will see how I get on with the Glasgow 100 at the weekend. I might enter the 50 mile event and just enjoy the day out, or try for a decent pace, depending on whether I can be arsed on the day. Ah...decisions, decisions. It's great to have a few options, and plenty of levels of ride to choose from.

DId you get your email today with all the do's and dont's looks like a nice and early start looking forward to it though. Got our company to buy us a jersery for the ride on Sunday as well Scotland tops only downside our company logo is getting added to it :) but hey ho its a free top

Got my bike back all fixed from the shop was worried about it not being ready but all the worry for nothing thankfully.

DId you get your email today with all the do's and dont's looks like a nice and early start looking forward to it though. Got our company to buy us a jersery for the ride on Sunday as well Scotland tops only downside our company logo is getting added to it :) but hey ho its a free top

Got my bike back all fixed from the shop was worried about it not being ready but all the worry for nothing thankfully.

Aye, had a read through the email this morning.

All we need to do now is hope that the weather is kind. It isn't looking good for the end of the week, but hopefully it'll pick up for Sunday.

Nice touch that your work is supplying jerseys, and I'm glad to hear that your steed is fixed and ready to go. I'm digging out the Flying Scot tonight with a view to giving it a good clean and lube. I haven't used it for weeks, so it'll take a bit of getting used to again, but I'm determined to use it as opposed to my own bike - I pimped it with new bar tape last week :P . If the weather is really shit, though, I might have to use the Cube as the brakes are vastly superior (just newer and sharper), but if all goes to plan, my dad-in-law's cherished bike will be getting a final run-out before being sold on.

Eventful weekend

Out with the club on Saturday morning and we did the 2 bridges.

Cracking morning and going along easily,however,betwen Rosyth & Comrie ,two of the riders got too close,locked handlebars which ended in both them coming off.

One of the bikes was catapulted towards the wrong side of the road,but luckily the guys SPD's released,but his bike ended up under an oncoming car.

Both riders a bit shaken,but thankfully only ended up with a few bumps and scratches,but it really shook everyone up a bit ,as you can imagine.

Club organised Super 6's event yesterday and had approx 130 riders taking part in two races over a 15 mile course.

The weather was terrible,but event went very smoothly with few minor incidents.

Aye, had a read through the email this morning.

All we need to do now is hope that the weather is kind. It isn't looking good for the end of the week, but hopefully it'll pick up for Sunday.

Nice touch that your work is supplying jerseys, and I'm glad to hear that your steed is fixed and ready to go. I'm digging out the Flying Scot tonight with a view to giving it a good clean and lube. I haven't used it for weeks, so it'll take a bit of getting used to again, but I'm determined to use it as opposed to my own bike - I pimped it with new bar tape last week :P . If the weather is really shit, though, I might have to use the Cube as the brakes are vastly superior (just newer and sharper), but if all goes to plan, my dad-in-law's cherished bike will be getting a final run-out before being sold on.

Yeah fingers crossed about the weather on both fronts easier to cycle and you get to get the flying scot out. I was out yesterday in that rain it was no fun at all :(

Look out for for me on Sunday this is the tops we got the work to buy for us. There was also one with the saltire on it which is really nice but wasn’t too good for putting the company logo on.

post-16049-0-32692400-1312812614_thumb.j

Edited by paisleysaints

Yeah fingers crossed about the weather on both fronts easier to cycle and you get to get the flying scot out. I was out yesterday in that rain it was no fun at all :(

Look out for for me on Sunday this is the tops we got the work to buy for us. There was also one with the saltire on it which is really nice but wasn’t too good for putting the company logo on.

That's a smart top. Nice one getting it as a freebie.

Did 35 miles around the Carron Valley tonight after taking UtN's advice. Shahoorsir, some of those hills were a killer but the scenery was superb. Aching a bit now though.

If you were taking UTN's advice I take it you took a flask and some sandwiches for a pit stop!!:lol: