Official P&b Cycling Thread

Sympathy, Drooper. I also hurt my back shovelling snow at the weekend - torture! No cycling this week!

Cheers - its a bummer right enough. I hope you're also on the mend soon, mate.

Funnily enough, I've never really found that cycling causes or exacerbates the problems I have from time to time. The herniated disc thing is brutal, though, and I couldn't even have contemplated slinging a leg over the bike. My late father-in-law (who used to race and was still riding into his late 60s) had chronic pack pain, but, again, cycling never seemed to aggravate it. I think it is sitting at a bloody desk and driving that are at the root of my problems.

The higher price and spec bikes that Halfords sell (Carrera and Boardman) are decent bikes for the most part, but I wouldn't go near them for maintenance.

I can't think of any major reason not to consider buying a bike from them, then using my local shop for repairs (or, even better, attempting them myself in the first instance). The bike should be reasonably well set up out the poke, or require only minor tweaking that a half-way knowledgeable rider or more experienced mate should be up to.

I've had another imposed lay-off due to the recurrence of a herniated disc in my back. Absolutely brutal, so it was. A real sickener, too, just as I was in the right place mentally to get back (no pun intended) into it. The back has cleared up a bit, though, so I'm looking to get out next week some time (couple of commutes and a weekend ride, hopefully). It would be a bonus if the average temperatures can rise above 4oC, right enough.

My pal's got a Carrera Valour with the Shimano Sora groupset. It's not exactly an S-Works Venge, but if you look after it and regularly clean and oil the chain etc. there's not a lot wrong with it. It's his winter road bike and it does the job well enough.

I'd say Halfords are not bad for buying a bike, but absolutely mince for servicing.

I meant to write this earlier but didn't get round to it.

At the start of this month a man called Bertie McWilliam died. Anyone on here from South Ayrshire and Wigtownshire will know him. He's been an old guy forever but has sorted his last bike in his amazing workshop and emporium in Girvan.

Those of you who visit Decathlon and the like would be horrified at Bertie's oily chaotic place, where he and his old labrador would sort your gears for £2.50 and chastise you for your lack of attention to your machine.

Over the last 25yrs I bought loads of bikes - inexpensive mass-produced ones - for my children and myself and always went back for repairs and accessories. Latterly we wasn't fit enough to test ride the bikes, but he was working well into his eighties and folk came from all around to get Bertie's advice and skills.

I missed his funeral - didn't know when it was. After a good innings it would have been good to say cheerio and thanks, Bertie.

Edited by Bold Rover

Posted a while back about trying to get half decent at cycling. Achieved my goal today - went from Leith to S Queensferry and back. 23 miles I think and did it in about 2 hrs to 2hrs 15 (mapmyride died on way back) on a 14 speed hybrid. Is that average, mediocre or awful?

Looking at sticking some panniers on and subbing my hillwalking weekends for cycling.

Posted a while back about trying to get half decent at cycling. Achieved my goal today - went from Leith to S Queensferry and back. 23 miles I think and did it in about 2 hrs to 2hrs 15 (mapmyride died on way back) on a 14 speed hybrid. Is that average, mediocre or awful?

Looking at sticking some panniers on and subbing my hillwalking weekends for cycling.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pace TBH.. The wind, terrain and mood can vary that big time.....

I have used the MTB with panniers for longer cycles (over a few days) a couple of times.. Tried to maintain10mph as planned but struggled, and found it too much carrying loaded panniers..especially in the Border Hills... :(

I spoke to a keen cyclist who has twice done Lands End to John O'Groats. He said the first time all he can remember is the bar stem and handle bars as he just kept his head down and pedalled to get a quick time. He has also done it leisurely with friends, took in some of the Scottish Islands en route and said it was a much more enjoyable experience..

I really need to dig out the bike now the clocks have changed....

There's no decent speeds, just whatever you find comfortable. I can go hell for leather but sometimes it's nice just to relax. Your speed is about 10mph average speed which for me is an OK pace for starting out.

Mapmyride is excellent too. I love the courses feature where it rates you against others who cycle bits of the same route. I was the Janaury speed king champion on the Paisley cycle track :lol:

I am looking for some advice. After last weeks crash it looks like my bike is not worth repairing.

Therefore I am looking for a new road bike and I think I have narrowed it down to a couple and I am looking for some advice.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_912079_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#tab1

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-glide-road-bike-mens-933071

http://www.sportsdirect.com/diamondback-sprint-road-bike-mens-933079

Any advice on the above models would be appreciated. Having read through the thread it seems the decatholon one is a good offer but the savings on some of the other bikes would suggest they have a better spec?

Edit to add im 6ft 3' if that makes any difference (decathalon seem to have a good range of sizes).

Edited by fanny paddery

The extra £20 for a Triban 3 Red with the carbon forks would make it by far the best option for your budget - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red-road-bike-id_8274036.html

It gets very good reviews on loads of cycling sites and even has it's own owners club - http://triban3owners.freeforums.net/

The extra £20 for a Triban 3 Red with the carbon forks would make it by far the best option for your budget - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red-road-bike-id_8274036.html

It gets very good reviews on loads of cycling sites and even has it's own owners club - http://triban3owners.freeforums.net/

Cheers for the reply. It seems the original t3 is hard to come by now. However decathlon Glasgow have one 60" avaliable according to their website which I have reserved. Aparrently they will phone me in the next hour confiriming whether they have one or not. Fingers crossed!

If anyone wants a 1987 Raleigh Equipe which has a front wheel which is slightly out of position as shown in the pic give me a shout :lol:post-7531-0-19763800-1364901201_thumb.jp