Official P&b Cycling Thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24989985

Another cyclist killed in London today

Green Party London Assembly Member Jenny Jones tweeted: "6 cyclists dead in 14 days - stop blaming victims & fix the big problems. Get HGVs off roads at rush hour."

Except the accident happened at Midday, and a good number of the other deaths were TfL buses- no buses at rush hour? This kind of reactionary nonsense is infuriating and politicians should know better.

First ride on my new bike today, glorious weather for it too. Much tighter feel than my old one (probably why there's a £600 price difference) and the gear range feels like it will give me better options on longer flats and descents.

Hoping to crank up the miles on my week off with being limited to weekends for the foreseeable future.

I'm just back from a short trek through deepest darkest Ayrshire and I'm absolutely freezing. The way out was fine with the sun out but from about 2.30 pm it was bitter.

Starting to think a new bike will be in order soon, I was a newcomer to the cycling game and bought cheap Carrera hybrid to get me on the road but now that I'm getting into it I feel an upgrade is needed.

My mate had her (very expensive) bike stolen last week. B'stards broke into her garage and pinched it. Not much hope of her seeing it again but it was insured. Anyways, for her replacement she is looking into getting something like this > Spylamp < has anyone else used anything like this? Are they any good, worth the money?

It's easily removed, better to get a tracker that goes inside the frame. Besides I've heard that the plod still won't lift a finger even if your bike does have GPS.

My mate had her (very expensive) bike stolen last week. B'stards broke into her garage and pinched it. Not much hope of her seeing it again but it was insured. Anyways, for her replacement she is looking into getting something like this > Spylamp < has anyone else used anything like this? Are they any good, worth the money?

Cheaper to insure on new for old policy

Getting to that time of year when the cycle to work is becoming a bit risky. Would be nice if glasgow council gritted some of the side roads rather than just the main trunk roads and bus routes.

Yip. I swithered overnight as to whether to cycle today, knowing that ice was certain. In the end I did, but the dark and fear of ice made it nervy. Got here safely though and glad I did it. Home leg should be nice in the afternoon sunshine.

Just to make things a wee bit clearer...........

Cycling Two Abreast

Cyclists are allowed to cycle two abreast!

Rule 66 states you should never cycle more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads.

(http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837)

This means cycles are perfectly legal to cycle side by side on most roads in the UK. Obviously some common sense needs to be used to work out if and when cyclists need to single out to let cars overtake but on the majority of UK roads cycling 2 abreast is allowed. Usually a group of cyclists will shout forward that a car is waiting ("Car Up") and if the road is too narrow for the car to pass the group safely while they are two abreast they will single out. However, if there is enough room but there are oncoming cars preventing the overtake the group will probably not single out.

Why do motorists get annoyed by cyclists two abreast?

There are many reasons why motorists tend to get annoyed so here are a few that I know of:

They think it's harder to overtake

They think it's illegal

They think it's dangerous in general

They think it means cyclists are not paying attention to the road

So why do cyclists cycle two abreast?

There are many reasons why cyclists choose to cycle two abreast so I'll give you the reasons that I know of.

It's Safer!

Simply put, it's safer for cyclists to ride two abreast, it means that motorists usually have to overtake in a proper manner rather than overtaking in the same lane as the cyclists. If a group of cyclists are in single file, motorists will often assume they can overtake in places which are not safe and will not leave the cyclist enough room. Motorists should give cyclists the same amount of room they would give another car when overaking (please see the Overtaking Cyclists page for more details) which means they should be on the other side of the road and would have to wait until there are no oncoming cars. Being in two files usually forces this scenario but riding in single file can lead the motorist to think they can overtake on the same side of the road if there are oncoming cars thus not giving the cyclist the correct amount of space.

It allows motorists to overtake quicker!?!

Riding two abreast also allows the motorist to overtake the group of cyclists quicker as there is less distance between the front and rear of the group (about half!!). This means that the motorist is past the group in less time, spending less time on the other side of the road and along side the group of cyclists and therefore safer all round.

For those that cannot understand this, here is an illustration:

So presuming that the car needs to give the cyclists the same space as another car (again see Overtaking page), there being one or two lines shouldn't matter in terms of distance needed to pull out to the right but two lines decreases the distance for which the car is performing the overtaking manoeuvre and therefore the time which to complete it making it safer all round.

It's sociable!

Cyclists out for a long ride will have a much more enjoyable ride if they have someone to talk to, and enjoying the ride is the main point of the ride for most. Most cyclists prefer to have someone to chat with but this does not mean that they are not riding safely, most car drivers will talk to their passengers and this is not regarded as unsafe driving!

Getting to that time of year when the cycle to work is becoming a bit risky. Would be nice if glasgow council gritted some of the side roads rather than just the main trunk roads and bus routes.

Since the grim weather appeared two or three days ago, the traffic on the way home has been much, much busier. I was thinking it might be soft cyclists but there can't be that many of them to make that much of a difference surely?

Okaydoke. I've came to the decision of selling my roadbike due to lack of use. I don't really know what the value of it is to be honest hence the reason I'm turning to the trusted cyclists on this!

Details;

Boardman Roadbike Pro (originally bought brand new in 2011) full carbon fibre. Ritchey rims with one barely used continental ultra race tyre and one brand new continental gatorskin tyre. Shimano ultegra pedals fitted however I do have a set of standard ones as spare. Crud road racer 2 mudguards and both front and rear lights fitted. I also have loads of accessories such as lubs, cleaning shit and a spare tube/puncture repair kit.

All parts of the bike are in outstanding condition and the approximate mileage of the bike will be around 1000 miles. I really haven't used it as much as I'd have liked and would much prefer someone took it off me and appreciate it like it should.

So, based on the above, what could I realistically get for it and indeed, would anybody want it?

Much thanks in advance.

Bike still for sale. STILL never used it since this post. Had it valued today for trade in against a mens MB and a ladies MB and they told me they'd sell it for £650 if I gave them it given the outstanding condition.

£550 is my price. Anyone?

56cm.

That's a cracking deal mate

I don't need a new bike but I'll ask all the guys in the club tomorrow and pm you if any are interested

The problem you have is bike values go down rapidly and at the end of the day it's still a second hand bike which may need new cassette , chain, bearings , etc , etc

However , that said I think your price is a good one

I'll see if there's anyone interested