Official P&b Cycling Thread

I've just ditched the wee Honda CBR 125cc for a mountain bike. Starting to think a racing style bike would have been better as I live in a pretty flat area. Can't knock the price, £129 from Halfords and I get tax/NI contrubution relief for a year 'cause it's a "cycle to work" scheme. Smashin. Should get back down to 12 stone in no time at all.:)

ps: The pisser was paying £20 to get it built and then all the add ons like mudguards and lights. When did bikes start getting sold without mudguards?

I've just ditched the wee Honda CBR 125cc for a mountain bike. Starting to think a racing style bike would have been better as I live in a pretty flat area. Can't knock the price, £129 from Halfords and I get tax/NI contrubution relief for a year 'cause it's a "cycle to work" scheme. Smashin. Should get back down to 12 stone in no time at all.:)

ps: The pisser was paying £20 to get it built and then all the add ons like mudguards and lights. When did bikes start getting sold without mudguards?

Assume the shopping basket and gel seat were extra too.

Mudguards - pah!!!

So what attachments are allowable on bikes?

Bottle Holder Yes/No?

Stand Yes/No?

Computer Yes/No?

Lights Yes/No?

Reflectors Yes/No?

Bulb Horn Yes/No?

Front Panniers Yes/No?

Rear Panniers Yes/No?

Wedgie Bag Yes/No?

Ribbons on handlebars Yes/No?

Handlebar Bag Yes/No?

Playing cards in spokes Yes/No?

Phone Holder Yes/No?

Shopping Basket Yes/No?

Gel Seat/Cover Yes/No?

Mudguards Yes/No?

Edited by NewBornBairn

So what attachments are allowable on bikes?

Bottle Holder Yes/No?

Stand Yes/No?

Computer Yes/No?

Lights Yes/No?

Reflectors Yes/No?

Bulb Horn Yes/No?

Front Panniers Yes/No?

Rear Panniers Yes/No?

Wedgie Bag Yes/No?

Ribbons on handlebars Yes/No?

Handlebar Bag Yes/No?

Playing cards in spokes Yes/No?

Phone Holder Yes/No?

Shopping Basket Yes/No?

Gel Seat/Cover Yes/No?

Mudguards Yes/No?

For day to day use,all you should really need is a wee under saddle bag which should hold,1 x multi bike tool, 1 x spare tube, 1 x puncture repair outfit , 1 x set of tyre levers.

Attached to your bike should be 1 x water botle and 1 x pump.

Nothing else required :) and mudguards are a definite no!

For day to day use,all you should really need is a wee under saddle bag which should hold,1 x multi bike tool, 1 x spare tube, 1 x puncture repair outfit , 1 x set of tyre levers.

Attached to your bike should be 1 x water botle and 1 x pump.

Nothing else required :) and mudguards are a definite no!

That's my set-up too - though I use a CO2 inflator as opposed to a pump.

All I've put on the Secteur is a bottle holder (wot rattles on the bottle something rotten) and a wee pouch on the handlebars holding my phone and dextrose tabs. I usually wear a rucksack with a wee toolkit, a pump and a lightweight jacket.

I expect in the winter I'll put led lights on it.

All I've put on the Secteur is a bottle holder (wot rattles on the bottle something rotten) and a wee pouch on the handlebars holding my phone and dextrose tabs. I usually wear a rucksack with a wee toolkit, a pump and a lightweight jacket.

I expect in the winter I'll put led lights on it.

Sorry NBB,but wee bags on the handlebars are a definite no,no and almost as bad as a bum bag!

Cant think why your holder should rattle on the bottle,unless you're using one of these metal bottles,or God forbid,a glass one!!:lol:

If you buy a cycling jumper,its got wee pockets at the back for the likes of a lightweight waterproof and even your bike pump

Hope the bikes going well though

I did have one of these,but have seen too many people being caught out with them not working,hence me going back to the trusty old bike pump

I've only had to use mine twice, but it worked a treat on each occasion.

I have a mini pump on the MTB, but it would be bloody hard work pumping up a road bike tyre to 110psi or thereabouts (I run mine at 120 most of the time)

I still don't see the problem with mudguards; they definitely do their job for me.

Vanity, I suspect.

I've only had to use mine twice, but it worked a treat on each occasion.

I have a mini pump on the MTB, but it would be bloody hard work pumping up a road bike tyre to 110psi or thereabouts (I run mine at 120 most of the time)

Funnily enough,I was talking about this with someone the other day.

In reality,your bike pump should only be used if you're unlucky enough to get a puncture ,to inflate your tyre enough to get you home.

Like you rightly say,trying to get 110 psi into a tube with one of these wee a hand pumps is nigh on impossible.

I invested in a Joe Blow floor standing pump a few weeks ago which is brilliant and makes things much easier,as I'd also managed to bend a couple of valves when using a hand pump

Bottle Holder - Essential

Stand - Questionable

Computer - Essential

Lights - Yes if you go out in the dark, otherwise no.

Reflectors - It's the law

Bulb Horn - A bell is also the law

Front Panniers - Get a fucking grip

Rear Panniers - See above

Wedgie Bag - Yes for tool and spare tube

Ribbons on handlebars - :lol:

Handlebar Bag - Oh dear

Playing cards in spokes - :lol:

Phone Holder - That's what the back pocket of your cycling jersey is for

Shopping Basket - UTN only

Gel Seat/Cover - No, get used to the pain fool

Mudguards - Never ever ever

The thing about big pockets on jerseys and the like is I'm seriously trying to avoid becoming a MAMIL - a middle aged man in lycra. Some of the more lurid examples I see on the road are fine for teenagers but look a bit daft on grown ups.