Golfers Thread

Gaz

Rory wins in style with a birdie on the last with the crowd chanting his name. Is he really that popular, or is it because they don't like Koepka?
Put it this way, the galleries over there seem to have an uncanny knack for chanting the name of anyone Koepka is competing against for a tournament win.

Koepka would be as well playing for Europe at the Ryder Cup.

Put it this way, the galleries over there seem to have an uncanny knack for chanting the name of anyone Koepka is competing against for a tournament win.

Koepka would be as well playing for Europe at the Ryder Cup.

Certainly earlier in the year I remember them getting right behind DJ when Koepka had a wobble at Bethpage. Don't think Koepka gives two fucks tbh.

He is a vocal critic of slow play, openly admits he often doesn't practice much and struggles to focus for regular tour events, and seems to be an more popular in Europe than America. No wonder Koepka is the main man these days.

Oh, and well played McIlroy. He's had a great season though without a major it's ultimately a bit of failure.

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

He is a vocal critic of slow play, openly admits he often doesn't practice much and struggles to focus for regular tour events, and seems to be an more popular in Europe than America. No wonder Koepka is the main man these days.

Oh, and well played McIlroy. He's had a great season though without a major it's ultimately a bit of failure.

I think a great season is overplaying it for Rory. He's had a good season, but he has had issues in getting over the line at times, and should have won at least a couple more tournaments than the 3 he finished up with.

I think a great season is overplaying it for Rory. He's had a good season, but he has had issues in getting over the line at times, and should have won at least a couple more tournaments than the 3 he finished up with.
Definitely. He finished top 10 in 70% of the tourneys he played in, but there were several Sundays he played poorly.

Here's how the scoring looks without the handicap start, which the OWGR will use for the new rankings.

IMG_20190825_231903.jpeg

36 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Rory wins in style with a birdie on the last with the crowd chanting his name. Is he really that popular, or is it because they don't like Koepka?

Excellent by Rory. If he'd done what Koepka did today he'd be getting huge criticism.

Both class acts IMHO.

I think the crowd genuinely like Rory. I don't see what's not to like with Koepka TBH.

Excellent by Rory. If he'd done what Koepka did today he'd be getting huge criticism.
Both class acts IMHO.
I think the crowd genuinely like Rory. I don't see what's not to like with Koepka TBH.
Over the year Rory only played 19 tourneys winning $24,285,286. Assuming his caddy Harry Diamond is on the supposedly standard 10%, his cut of just about $2.43 million is more than Speith made this year.

On 24/08/2019 at 18:56, Day of the Lords said:

Anyone know how handicapping works in terms of playing for one? Had to hand in 3 cards, 2 off the forward tees, one off the backs. Is it ageraged against SSS or does it vary from club to club still?

I think that is correct. At my club you have to complete 3 competition rounds, all off back tees so if that is anything to go by, there is still a degree of variation between clubs.

17 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

How can anyone dislike Koepka?

Yep, he seems sound enough and is a world class sportsman, who calls out idiots who intentionally play slow to disrupt their opponents.

2 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

I think that is correct. At my club you have to complete 3 competition rounds, all off back tees so if that is anything to go by, there is still a degree of variation between clubs.

1 competition and another two rounds off yellows or whites under competition conditions (ie hole everything) at mine.

14 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

1 competition and another two rounds off yellows or whites under competition conditions (ie hole everything) at mine.

Yeh, that's how it always was at Strathaven, my old club, and the two non-competition rounds had to played with a member who would sign the card. Was a tad surprised to hear you needed to play 3 comps to get it up here.

12 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Quite enjoyed playing about with this table

https://datagolf.org/performance-table

Spieth is still the best putter in the world but Rory the top boy overall, just needs to do something to play to his potential in the majors and he could end up with double figures.

I like how if you go down to the putter with the poorest stat in that table, his surname is Yip.

Just now, Mr Hahn said:

Yeh, that's how it always was at Strathaven, my old club, and the two non-competition rounds had to played with a member who would sign the card. Was a tad surprised to hear you needed to play 3 comps to get it up here.

Pretty sure it can be a member of any course, and not just just the one you are playing. I signed for one of my mate's 3 cards at his course when he got his.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Pretty sure it can be a member of any course, and not just just the one you are playing. I signed for one of my mate's 3 cards at his course when he got his.

Interesting. With the SSS system, I wonder if it's possible to put in a card on someone else's course and have it count towards getting your handicap.

I know when I joined my new club here, there was some kind of universal system of handicaps that they looked up to try and find me. They found a couple of players on the system with my name but I couldn't confirm if either was me (got my handicap at Strathaven as a junior) so I had to start again and get a new one.

Im just starting playing golf, been to the range at mearns castle a few times, played the par 3 course at brucefields a couple of times and have started taking lessons. My question is, as i can only hit a max of 160 yard with my 5 wood should i avoid playing a full course? If i do decide to play a course is it ok for me to play from the front tees? Would be playing the 9 holers at mearns castle, brucefields and pokelmett.

Im just starting playing golf, been to the range at mearns castle a few times, played the par 3 course at brucefields a couple of times and have started taking lessons. My question is, as i can only hit a max of 160 yard with my 5 wood should i avoid playing a full course? If i do decide to play a course is it ok for me to play from the front tees? Would be playing the 9 holers at mearns castle, brucefields and pokelmett.

No your fine, 160y isn't bad, I see some hit less than that with drivers and play medals of the whites with decent scores, the lessons are a good way to go, 3 hits with your 5wood is 480y that will make most par 5s and all the par 4s in reg, don't beat your self up on how far you hit, short game and putting is key for beginners and were you'll start to score