Golfers Thread

Gaz

I'm sticking with what I finished last season with:

Cobra Biocell Driver (usually have it on 11 deg. High flight, lowish spin rate)
Callaway X Tour 4 and 5 woods. Pretty old but bargains at £25 each.
MD Superstrong Forged Irons 4-9
Ping MB 48 and 52 gap wedges
Ancient Swilken Tournament SW - I've had it for 30 years, just can't chuck it out.
Odyssey 2 ball putter

I can't stand hybrids.

I had a 2H in my bag for years but pretty much always hated it. Something about it really didn't suit my eye, always felt like I was going to hook it. 

Replaced it with a Callaway X forged UT 2 iron and haven't look back since.

I can't stand hybrids.
I had a 2H in my bag for years but pretty much always hated it. Something about it really didn't suit my eye, always felt like I was going to hook it. 
Replaced it with a Callaway X forged UT 2 iron and haven't look back since.

Aye each to their own with these things. Great deal of golf is mental so what suits your eye is important. I’m now in early 60s and hybrids have been a real plus for me in maintaining a decent standard (single figures pretty consistently since 2009 albeit currently at 9.9).

15 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye each to their own with these things. Great deal of golf is mental so what suits your eye is important. I’m now in early 60s and hybrids have been a real plus for me in maintaining a decent standard (single figures pretty consistently since 2009 albeit currently at 9.9).

Absolutely. Great that they've been so helpful for you, can totally see the benefits of them. Saw those benefits in my friend's games when I was a junior and got bloody frustrated watching their long games improve immensely and I just couldn't hit them. They just weren't the solution for me.

My solution came through lessons to improve my ball striking and hours and hours of practice with long irons. Thankfully I'm pretty good with them now because the course I play on is very narrow and I hit them off pretty much every tee!

17 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

4 iron in the bag?

Fairly unusual now, with most people carrying a 4H instead.

I genuinely wasn't aware of hybrids until I started hitting the ball again a year or two back and my pal whipped one of his out (oo er) during a round. Something I'll look into for sure.

Edited by RiG

My WITB for 2020

Ping G410 LST Driver and 3 wood(14.5)

Mizuno JPX 900 4 hybrid (22)

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot metal 5-GW

Cleveland RTX 4 wedges (54 & 58)

Odyssey 2 ball black putter

Needing another hybrid between the 4 hybrid and the 3 wood but not urgent

Currently off 6 but hoping to be closer to 3 by the end of the season

Driver: Ping G410 w/ stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Orange (10.5)

3 wood: Callaway Epic w/ stock stuff shaft (13.5)

2 iron: Titleist TMB 2-iron w/ 120g Project X Stiff shaft.

Irons: KZG zo blades 3 iron - PW w/ KBS shafts.

Wedges: Matched with irons. 52 and 56 degree.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven.

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1 X

We've all been there [emoji23]

Definitely. Here's his last shots. Pass that man a Hamlet. 

https://twitter.com/TwoInchesShort/status/1228763226084536321?s=19

Kuchar, Scott and McIlroy all head into the final round tied on -10, but there are 7 players within 3 shots of them so should be a good finish tomorrow night.

Had my iron fitting this morning which was very enjoyable, hit the ball pretty well apart from a couple of stupid thins at the start before I got warmed up. Was a hell of a wind to be getting fitted for new clubs in!

My set up will thus look as follows for 2020:

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback 9°, Hazardous Smoke stiff shaft

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 15°, Hazardous Smoke stiff shaft

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged 18° (2 iron), Project X 6.0 shaft

Irons: Titleist T100 3-PW, AMT White X-100 X-Stiff shafts +1 inch, 1° upright

Wedges: Titleist SM7 52° (F grind) and 58° (M grind)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5 

Fella at the driving range is going to lengthen my wedges too so they're also an inch longer than standard. Getting fairly common Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips on the new irons too. Going to get the rest of my clubs re-gripped to match that, finally getting rid of the Tour Velvet "Align" grips I've been playing with this season. To this day, I don't get the point of the red line. Was totally coaxed into getting them by the club pro and felt like a mug ever since.

An awful day at the golf today. Wind and soaking fairways a horrible mix

Our greenstaff have their own Twitter account and always put out the rainfall count for the week on a Monday morning. Last Monday showed 52mm for the previous week, would imagine tomorrow's count will be higher. For the first time they have asked players to carry their bags if possible, and also for the first time have stopped some of the older guy's using their single seat electric buggies. Not ideal, but damage saved now helps make the course better in the summer.

Our greenstaff have their own Twitter account and always put out the rainfall count for the week on a Monday morning. Last Monday showed 52mm for the previous week, would imagine tomorrow's count will be higher. For the first time they have asked players to carry their bags if possible, and also for the first time have stopped some of the older guy's using their single seat electric buggies. Not ideal, but damage saved now helps make the course better in the summer. 

Yeah, there was a burn or 2 getting awfully close to overflowing. Be interested to see what the rain count is as u say