Golfers Thread

Gaz

Not how I do it, but there are also some clubs based on council run courses where membership of the club doesn't give any playing rights as you need to pay separately for green fees - that could be a cheaper way to hold a membership.

For example, in Edinburgh, Lochend GC costs £165 for the year and you can pay green fees separately.
I used to play at Linn Park, I work for the council and at the time the annual pass for employees was only £120. The club I was in was only 35 quid for the year, and was SGU affiliated so we had medals/competitions every week and a proper registered handicap. There are/were several similar clubs at all the Glasgow municipal courses.

David Drysdale one shot off the lead after round 3 in Cyprus. Bob MacIntyre one shot further back.
MacIntyre finished birdie-birdie for a 65 to end on -18, but he's two shots back from clubhouse leader Callum Shinkwin who holed a monster for eagle on the last.

7 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Is Bob in the Masters? Are there any Scots in the field?

I don't think so. Sandy Lyle is probably in but that will be it. Martin Laird will be in next year after his recent win on the US tour. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

So the WHS go’s live tomorrow and my app still doesn’t have anywhere to pre register a round. I’m obviously hopeful by the time I wake up tomorrow it will all be sorted but I’m not holding out much hope. I plan to pre register for my round on Tuesday

12 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

So the WHS go’s live tomorrow and my app still doesn’t have anywhere to pre register a round. I’m obviously hopeful by the time I wake up tomorrow it will all be sorted but I’m not holding out much hope. I plan to pre register for my round on Tuesday

From what I've heard from our golf club they are anticipating there might be some issues with the system initially. Hopefully quickly resolved if so.

From what I've heard from our golf club they are anticipating there might be some issues with the system initially. Hopefully quickly resolved if so.

Do you know if there is a cutoff time for pre registering? Can you do it the morning of the game? Or even standing on the 1st tee? Or does it have to be done the night before?

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Do you know if there is a cutoff time for pre registering? Can you do it the morning of the game? Or even standing on the 1st tee? Or does it have to be done the night before?

Found this in a Golf England document.

It is a requirement in GB&I that players pre-register on the day if they wish their scores to be used for handicapping purposes both for competitions and for General Play. Clubs will need to have procedures in place for this, and with increasing computerization of handicapping they may find that their software will have an inbuilt pre-registration facility.

13 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I'd imagine it will operate in a similar way to the system HDID uses, where I have regularly signed in as the other guys in my group tee off!

Braved the elements for a round today despite my better judgement and glad I did, a best ever score of 74 (+2) for me in very strong winds (to give an indication, I had to re-tee my ball on the16th hole twice as the wind blew the ball off the tee). 8 pars and a bogey on the front, 6 pars, 2 bogies and birdie on the back.

Had to grind at the start, holing 10ish footers for par on both the first and second but then started to hit the ball really nicely. Have always struggled with my spin playing into the wind so was very satisfying to be able to control my ball and hold the score. 

Feel like I did leave a couple out there. Very foolish bogey on the par 5 8th, one of the easiest holes on the course and left a couple of very make-able birdie putts short but no real complaints. Just a shame the new handicap system wasn't in place for casual rounds, that would have been a belter of a card to submit.

Edited by Mr Hahn

Braved the elements for a round today despite my better judgement and glad I did, a best ever score of 74 (+2) for me in very strong winds (to give an indication, I had to re-tee my ball on the16th hole twice as the wind blew the ball off the tee). 8 pars and a bogey on the front, 6 pars, 2 bogies and birdie on the back.
Had to grind at the start, holing 10ish footers for par on both the first and second but then started to hit the ball really nicely. Have always struggled with my spin playing into the wind so was very satisfying to be able to control my ball and hold the score. 
Feel like I did leave a couple out there. Very foolish bogey on the par 5 8th, one of the easiest holes on the course and left a couple of very make-able birdie putts short but no real complaints. Just a shame the new handicap system wasn't in place for casual rounds, that would have been a belter of a card to submit.

Great play.
Given the conditions you’d have been brave to declare you were going to count today’s round in advance of playing which of course you would have to do for it to count in the new system.