Golfers Thread

Gaz

My previous handicap under the old (and really good) system was 11.1.  When I checked my predicted WHS ten days ago I was down to 8.6 but now up to 9.3 - lost a good round and replaced it with a rubbish one (that doesnt count in my 8 

I have three counting scores in the bottom four (first to drop off when I resume medals next year) and can expect to move up to 11 again at the start of the season - there are going to be lots of big movements in handicaps - previously you could be assured of a further 9 rounds at a specific handicap. 

My handicap is a tad higher than first projected and there's a decent score missing from 2 weeks ago. 

Anyone else noticed issues?

I still have a score to go in from last week but pretty sure that’s because my club haven’t done that as yet. My handicap index is 9.6. Was playing off 10.9 as of last week.

Edit to add I would think your first move would be to contact your club re any concerns.

On 26/10/2020 at 23:25, Distant Doonhamer said:

So I think I’m beginning to understand this. My projected handicap index is 9.3. My course off the white tees has a course rating of 72 and a slope rating of 125. So my Course Handicap playing off these tees is 9.3 x 125/113= 10.3. If I’m playing in a singles medal or Stableford competition my Playing Handicap for that event is 95% of my course handicap I.e. 10.3 x 0.95 = 9.8 so a playing handicap of 10 for the competition.

The figure of 113 used in the calculation above is the slope rating for a reference course of standard playing difficulty. Thus my course with a slope rating of 125 is rated as more difficult so my course handicap is higher than my handicap index by a factor of 125/113.

That’s my understanding of it but I may well have misunderstood something

Coincidentally my new WHS is also 9.3 but my course rating off white tees is 71.2 (with a slope rating off white tees of 131) so I make my playing handicap for my own course in normal medals as 10.8 - so back to 11 where I was under old system.

Coincidentally my new WHS is also 9.3 but my course rating off white tees is 71.2 (with a slope rating off white tees of 131) so I make my playing handicap for my own course in normal medals as 10.8 - so back to 11 where I was under old system.

My handicap index is 9.6. Course slope rating for the medal (white) tees is 125. So my course handicap for those tees is 9.6 x 125/113=10.6. Course rating off white tees is 72.

We also quite often play Stablefords off the yellow tees. For this the slope rating is 123. That gives me a course handicap for those tees of 10.4. Course rating off yellow tees is 70.8.

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

My handicap index is 9.6. Course slope rating for the medal tees is 125. So my course handicap for those tees is 9.6 x 125/113=10.6.
We also quite often play Stablefords off the yellow tees. For this the slope rating is 123. That gives me a course handicap for those tees of 10.4.

Interesting.  My handicap index is 9.3 but off all tees at my home course I would play off 11    Dividing all slope ratings by 113

Yellow -  69.5 SR 128 = 10.5

White - 71.2. SR 131   = 10.8

Black - 71.8 SR 133 = 10.9

would that be right?                                                                      

Interesting.  My handicap index is 9.3 but off all tees at my home course I would play off 11    Dividing all slope ratings by 113 Yellow -  69.5 SR 128 = 10.5 White - 71.2. SR 131   = 10.8 Black - 71.8 SR 133 = 10.9 would that be right?                     

Yes.   Also need to remember that when playing in a medal you get a playing handicap for that event which is 95% of your course handicap.

Thus on my course handicap off the whites my 10.6 becomes a playing handicap for that event ie 10.6x0.95=10.1.

So a playing handicap of 10 for the competition.

Thankfully all these calculations should be done automatically when you register for the medal on the day.

13 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Great play.
Given the conditions you’d have been brave to declare you were going to count today’s round in advance of playing which of course you would have to do for it to count in the new system.

Very true. Though I think after this I'll probably just pre register for all my casual rounds. Worst that could happen would be it doesn't make my top 8 out of 20.

IMG_5016.jpg.866266aa69647eda4131e1e52a5f01e3.jpg
The app updated in the last 10 minutes and I can now pre register for a round. I’m happy with my handicap so I don’t think Iv got to wait for anything else to change.
Is that IOS or Android? Mine did an update earlier but still isn't showing that. I'm on Android.

Very true. Though I think after this I'll probably just pre register for all my casual rounds. Worst that could happen would be it doesn't make my top 8 out of 20.

Yes that makes sense. Worth considering that adjustments for playing conditions on the day will only take place if at least 8 scores submitted that day. That could be either disadvantageous or advantageous depending on circumstance of course. Below is lifted from USGA FAQs

Q. What is the Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) and how does it work?

A. At the end of each day, the Playing Conditions Calculation takes place automatically to determine if scores made at the course were significantly higher or lower than the expected scores of the players who made them, primarily due to weather and/or course set up.

If scores were abnormally low or high, a PCC adjustment between -1 and +3 will be applied to the Score Differentials of everyone who played that day. A negative (-) adjustment means the course played easier than expected and a positive (+) adjustment means the course played more difficult than expected. A PCC of 0 means the course played as expected, which will be the case on most days.

The PCC:

Uses scoring data so no action is required by the club/course staff or golfer (except for posting scores),
Includes only scores made by players with a Handicap Index of 36.0 or below,
Considers both 9-hole and 18-hole scores in the calculation, and
Only takes place if at least 8 scores were posted on a given day.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

That’s it confirmed that courses will close down south during lockdown. The PM rejected the appeal to keep them open. A ridiculous decision in my opinion

Seconded, that's ridiculous. Can obviously see the benefit of closing the clubhouse but the course? Gtf. 

Seconded, that's ridiculous. Can obviously see the benefit of closing the clubhouse but the course? Gtf. 

Rob Lee was on SSN saying that it’s ok to meet someone and go for a walk in a park but you can’t meet someone on the course and walk around that. Makes a fair point

12 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Rob Lee was on SSN saying that it’s ok to meet someone and go for a walk in a park but you can’t meet someone on the course and walk around that. Makes a fair point

It's worse than that. It's ok to meet someone and have a walk on a golf course but not ok to meet them there to play golf on the same course despite the fact that the people walking will inevitably spend more time close together than 2 golfers would.

We had loads of people walking on our course in last lockdown which is fine.

We also had kids making sandcastles in a bunker as well as allegedly a couple humping in a bunker. As far as I'm aware these two things were separate incidents. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer