Golfers Thread

Gaz

It's worse than that. It's ok to meet someone and have a walk on a golf course but not ok to meet them there to play golf on the same course despite the fact that the people walking will inevitably spend more time close together than 2 golfers would.
We had loads of people walking on our course in last lockdown which is fine.
We also had kids making sandcastles in a bunker as well as allegedly a couple humping in a bunker. As far as I'm aware these two things were separate incidents. 
Or you would hope it was at least 2 different bunkers, or at different times. [emoji23]

22 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes.   Also need to remember that when playing in a medal you get a playing handicap for that event which is 95% of your course handicap.

Thus on my course handicap off the whites my 10.6 becomes a playing handicap for that event ie 10.6x0.95=10.1.

So a playing handicap of 10 for the competition.

Thankfully all these calculations should be done automatically when you register for the medal on the day.

I'm not fully understanding where the handicap allowance comes in.  Is that only if you are in a competition?

Lads. I don’t suppose you know of any clubs whose courses are rated over the winter? This is for adding scores for my handicap index. My club are on winter tees and the course isn’t rated while playing off them
Be few and far between I would think, links courses might be your best bet. All the guys I work with that play have all said their clubs are now onto a mixture of winter tees and greens so it's going to be tough to submit any counting scores now.

IMG_1604541228.202830.thumb.jpg.53b7d95e38419ea2e9f94f4a2e9fa3f9.jpg

We have been touring New Zealand for 4 months now and have played 81 rounds on 72 courses. Here is the route we have covered on the North Island so far - Northlands first, then The Coromandel, across to Taranaki, then down the west coast. Generally the rounds cost between NZ$20 to NZ$50 (£10 to £25)

8 months still left.

My handicap has gone up by 2 strokes since we started but should be more.

The quirkiest course so far was Rangatira that is on a number of levels and you catch a ski lift after completing the 18th to get back up to the clubhouse level.

IMG_1604541666.537447.thumb.jpg.04ce32853fdbe42cf93a6e6773775000.jpg

We enter the local competitions as we go round the country and I’ve been lucky to pick up a couple of meat pack prizes. IMG_1604542738.401516.thumb.jpg.5a0e2b152e74afb371dc36d0c58956a5.jpg

IMG_1604542773.226126.thumb.jpg.19ad39044fe89a75566a69ca0bd1c6b1.jpg

9 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

When do they usually go back to normal tees/Greens?

I've seen it vary from course to course but somewhere between late February and late March is where I'd expect the majority of courses to be back on normal tees/greens.

Links courses can be on normal greens much longer while parkland courses that have a tendency to not drain as well may be later.

Booked to play the Jubilee at St Andrews in a couple of weeks. Tried for the Castle Course offer currently on but it had sold out on the day we were looking for. Going to have to ignore any travel restrictions to play it.
I'm playing it on wed, also playing the glen on Monday too, the prices at St. Andrew's are not too bad this right now planning on playing as much links over the winter as I can any suggestions on good deals and courses would be great

I'm playing it on wed, also playing the glen on Monday too, the prices at St. Andrew's are not too bad this right now planning on playing as much links over the winter as I can any suggestions on good deals and courses would be great

You played Goswick? My first experience of golf was at the glen and it was about 30mph winds!!! Shot 114 and thought golf is shite lol

Hope for all of us. Grayson Murray a pro on the PGA Tour ran up an 8 on a 110 yard par 3 in the Houston Open event. No penalty shots involved and only 2 putts but by the look of it some pretty awful wedge play.

Shot 8 in the hole

Shot 7 putt 15 ft 10 in., 2 ft 10 in. to hole

Shot 6 24 ft 11 in. to green, 12 ft 9 in. to hole

Shot 5 34 yds to right fairway, 37 ft 6 in. to hole

Shot 4 53 yds to left rough, 66 ft 3 in. to hole

Shot 3 52 yds to right rough, 92 ft 3 in. to hole

Shot 2 36 yds to left rough, 64 ft 8 in. to hole

Shot 1 114 yds to right fairway, 43 ft 10 in. to hole

He shot 85 for the round (39/46). Ouch.

Also on the PGA Tour interested to note round 2 suspended due to darkness with only one player still to complete his round. Presumably Schwartzel chose to stop as he is right on the cut line . He needs to get down in two having missed the green left of the par 3 9th (his 18th hole). He’ll look a bit daft if he doesn’t manage it.

Edit to add whether he makes it or not won’t impact on where the cut line is. Top 65 and ties make the cut and already 68 players at 3 over or better.

Also on the PGA Tour interested to note round 2 suspended due to darkness with only one player still to complete his round. Presumably Schwartzel chose to stop as he is right on the cut line . He needs to get down in two having missed the green left of the par 3 9th (his 18th hole). He’ll look a bit daft if he doesn’t manage it.Edit to add whether he makes it or not won’t impact on where the cut line is. Top 65 and ties make the cut and already 68 players at 3 over or better.

It's a strange one as both his playing partners finished their round, and it appears he is on short grass for his chip/pitch on.

Anyone watched any of the shootout in Cyprus? The commentary team have been all over the place trying to get to grips with the format. 
Robert MacIntyre safely through to last round where 19 players will go for the title. 

Detry and Campillo on 3 under must have been peeping through their fingers, praying that Richard Bland didn’t birdie the 18th!!?[emoji15] That being after Gavin Green’s Eagle attempt which might have taken them all out. Exciting finish, will look forward to the ‘shootout’ tomorrow.