Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Made bogey when he finished today and missed the cut.

Is this the professional golfer's equivalent to when an amateur waits 10 minutes for the green on a par 5 to clear when 200+ yards out before topping 20 yards down the fairway?

Edited by Mr Hahn

23 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Is this the professional golfer's equivalent to when an amateur waits 10 minutes for the green on a par 5 to clear when 200+ yards out before topping 20 years down the fairway?

I'm sure that's a feeling alien to all of us on this thread :whistle

4 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Detry and Campillo on 3 under must have been peeping through their fingers, praying that Richard Bland didn’t birdie the 18th!!?emoji15.png That being after Gavin Green’s Eagle attempt which might have taken them all out. Exciting finish, will look forward to the ‘shootout’ tomorrow.

Yeah it worked out perfectly today with that last pairing both having something to play for coming down the last. 

I think a low scoring course lends itself to this format so it should be a good day ahead. 

Is this the professional golfer's equivalent to when an amateur waits 10 minutes for the green on a par 5 to clear when 200+ yards out before topping 20 yards down the fairway?

I did this yesterday. I keep telling myself “if I flush this then it’s on the green”

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

I did this yesterday. I keep telling myself “if I flush this then it’s on the green”

The one way to almost guarantee you'll flush it is to say "I'll just play, because I'll never reach" while the group ahead are putting out. 

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The one way to almost guarantee you'll flush it is to say "I'll just play, because I'll never reach" while the group ahead are putting out. 

Yep.

The other good one is when you can't decide between say a 6 iron and a 7 iron. So you think that hitting  a nice smooth six is the solution only to find you hit it 10 yards further then you usually do.

You played Goswick? My first experience of golf was at the glen and it was about 30mph winds!!! Shot 114 and thought golf is shite lol

[emoji38] No never played, it does ring a bell tho iv been on the golf now app playing some close to home and a few a bit further out, trying to concentrate on the links for winter as the courses in Glasgow are like swaps just now mine included

Anyone watched any of the shootout in Cyprus? The commentary team have been all over the place trying to get to grips with the format. 
Robert MacIntyre safely through to last round where 19 players will go for the title. 
I haven't seen any of it, but going by the scores was it 2 rounds then a cut, then everybody reverted to level par? Play 18 then another cut, then whoever hits the lowest score tomorrow wins?

Just now, peasy23 said:
6 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
Anyone watched any of the shootout in Cyprus? The commentary team have been all over the place trying to get to grips with the format. 
Robert MacIntyre safely through to last round where 19 players will go for the title. 

I haven't seen any of it, but going by the scores was it 2 rounds then a cut, then everybody reverted to level par? Play 18 then another cut, then whoever hits the lowest score tomorrow wins?

Yes that's the format.

Good to see Russell Knox doing well in this week's PGA event. Tied 13th after a very tidy 3 under par 67 in round 3 today.

I note that the event has 2000 fans in attendance. Sadly a chunk of them sound like absolute morons.

Yes that's the format.
Good to see Russell Knox doing well in this week's PGA event. Tied 13th after a very tidy 3 under par 67 in round 3 today.
I note that the event has 2000 fans in attendance. Sadly a chunk of them sound like absolute morons.
Not exactly rocket science is it? Although it's Sky's commentary team we are talking about.

Aye, good to see Knox hitting some form after a tough couple of years.

30 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I  generally like the Sky team but jeez they made heavy weather of it today.

They were summing up after the round finished and they said if Bland had holed his birdie putt to get to 4 under all the players 3 under, and they specifically included Bland in this group, would've been knocked out. :1eye

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

For the new handicap system for someone without an existing handicap, if I joined a club, how many scores do I need to submit to get one? And how/who do you inform prior to playing a casual round that you’ll be submitting a score?

From Golf England FAQs

How Do I get a World Handicap Index?

Handicap Indexes are only available to those players who are playing members at an affiliated club. Once you have found a club to join you can be allocated a Handicap Index over 54 holes if you are new to golf or if a returning player it may be that we can calculate an initial World Handicap Index from your previous CONGU record.

49 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

From Golf England FAQs

How Do I get a World Handicap Index?

Handicap Indexes are only available to those players who are playing members at an affiliated club. Once you have found a club to join you can be allocated a Handicap Index over 54 holes if you are new to golf or if a returning player it may be that we can calculate an initial World Handicap Index from your previous CONGU record.

Okay cheers. So assume I need another member to sign off the cards, and assume that you just hand in the cards to the club and they report them to a golfing body?

Apologies if this is obvious stuff but I’ve never had a handicap or submitted a card.

26 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Okay cheers. So assume I need another member to sign off the cards, and assume that you just hand in the cards to the club and they report them to a golfing body?

Apologies if this is obvious stuff but I’ve never had a handicap or submitted a card.

I'm not sure of the mechanics to be honest.  With current guidelines you aren't meant to get someone else to sign your card. Not sure how it works.