Golfers Thread

Gaz

There’s a 507 yard Par 4, 1000 bunkers and water hazards on half of the holes. If I got round losing under 2 dozen balls I would be expecting to come home to a mention on the Queens honours list. 

McGinley just spouts nonsense constantly. He’s just said Europe can back themselves because they’ve got length in the team. Compared to me, yes, Europe have length in the team. Unfortunately for Europe they aren’t playing me, but against an American team that have much more length and some of the biggest hitters in golf. 

It's not length they need but to stop making schoolboy errors.

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

There’s a 507 yard Par 4, 1000 bunkers and water hazards on half of the holes. If I got round losing under 2 dozen balls I would be expecting to come home to a mention on the Queens honours list. 

McGinley just spouts nonsense constantly. He’s just said Europe can back themselves because they’ve got length in the team. Compared to me, yes, Europe have length in the team. Unfortunately for Europe they aren’t playing me, but against an American team that have much more length. 

A 507 yard par 4. Hmm. If I hit a good straight un’, would see me hit a 240 yard drive. A well-hit fairway 3 wood for me is 200 yards. That leaves a pitching wedge to the green, and I’d roll in the putt for a 4.

piece of piss. Next problem please. 😎

Am I the only person that quite likes DeChambeau :lol: I struggle to see what he does that gets people so riled up. Any time I see him interviewed he comes across well, polite and willing to give the media a bit of his time. Im always waiting for him to do something that justifies the stick he gets but I don’t see it. 

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

A 507 yard par 4. Hmm. If I hit a good straight un’, would see me hit a 240 yard drive. A well-hit fairway 3 wood for me is 200 yards. That leaves a pitching wedge to the green, and I’d roll in the putt for a 4.

piece of piss. Next problem please. 😎

We’ve got a 460 yard Par 4 at our course, stroke index 1, and I’ve parred it once in 70 odd rounds. We shouldn’t be entertaining 500+ yard Par 4s. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

Am I the only person that quite likes DeChambeau :lol: I struggle to see what he does that gets people so riled up. Any time I see him interviewed he comes across well, polite and willing to give the media a bit of his time. Im always waiting for him to do something that justifies the stick he gets but I don’t see it. 

I think he comes over OK too, but he should have realised that at 9-3 down, the European team aren’t going to concede anything other than a six-inch putt. No need for him to be an utter arse there. The commentators actually nailed it. He just needed to knock the putt in and walk to the next tee.

People put far too much emphasis on the role of the captains in Ryder Cup results. Unless they are someone like Faldo who manage to actively annoy and irritate their own team then they really aren't as big a factor as people make out. Harrington seems a likeable guy amongst the players with his head screwed on, I don't believe this performance has anything to do with his inadequacies as a captain.

People will debate about Harrington's pairings but if anyone seriously thinks that tweaking a few pairings here or there would have made any significant difference here they are delusional. This american team is in a different class to Europe. They have 8 of the world's top 10, Europe has 1, and only 3 in the top 20. USA's lowest ranked player is 21st in the world, Europe has guys 42nd, 43rd, 50th and 63rd. Predictably, the world number 1 is winning basically all Europe's points, as is the guy playing with him. And most of the rest are losing to better players. I'd be interested to know if there has ever been a bigger gap in quality between 2 Ryder Cup teams (by some objective measure), I'd be surprised if there was and we are seeing the score this week reflect that.

People put far too much emphasis on the role of the captains in Ryder Cup results. Unless they are someone like Faldo who manage to actively annoy and irritate their own team then they really aren't as big a factor as people make out. Harrington seems a likeable guy amongst the players with his head screwed on, I don't believe this performance has anything to do with his inadequacies as a captain.
People will debate about Harrington's pairings but if anyone seriously thinks that tweaking a few pairings here or there would have made any significant difference here they are delusional. This american team is in a different class to Europe. They have 8 of the world's top 10, Europe has 1, and only 3 in the top 20. USA's lowest ranked player is 21st in the world, Europe has guys 42nd, 43rd, 50th and 63rd. Predictably, the world number 1 is winning basically all Europe's points, as is the guy playing with him. And most of the rest are losing to better players. I'd be interested to know if there has ever been a bigger gap in quality between 2 Ryder Cup teams (by some objective measure), I'd be surprised if there was and we are seeing the score this week reflect that.
There have been huge differences in the relative world rankings of the teams before, but as I posted further up, Europe have nullified that by turning up and playing their very best stuff. Be lucky if even 3 or 4 players have managed that so far this year for more than a few holes at a time.

Saw this earlier in the week.

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

There have been huge differences in the relative world rankings of the teams before, but as I posted further up, Europe have nullified that by turning up and playing their very best stuff. Be lucky if even 3 or 4 players have managed that so far this year for more than a few holes at a time.

Saw this earlier in the week.

The pairings just don't seem to be working 

Brutal