Golfers Thread

Gaz

Ricky Fowler not quite ruled out of the US Open yet. He had a putt lip out on the last hole last night that would have got him into a playoff for an automatic spot. He came back today and won the playoff for the first alternate spot. Where that puts him on the full alternate list is a bit of a mystery though.

Having spunked millions on getting the players signed up, it looks like somebody remembered late last night that they needed logos and team names and had about 12 bucks left to pay for them.

Back in real world golf news, Tiger won't play in the US Open.

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Utter crap names (although one is pretty much my middle name.....)

I always wanted this to fail but this has just strengthened that feeling.  However, I have the feeling that the Saudi's will keep throwing money at this for some time yet.

Can Newcastle United fans anticipate a change of name to Newcastle Fire Balls?

The Geordie Craster Kippers.

A complete and utter crock of steaming shite. I have a vision in my head, and it isn’t a pleasant one. It is of Ian Poulter wearing a ‘Majesticks’ polo shirt, holing a putt, and pounding his fist on the Majesticks crest embroidered on his shirt as if it means something. The actual fcuk sake.

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

A complete and utter crock of steaming shite. I have a vision in my head, and it isn’t a pleasant one. It is of Ian Poulter wearing a ‘Majesticks’ polo shirt, holing a putt, and pounding his fist on the Majesticks crest embroidered on his shirt as if it means something. The actual fcuk sake.

I wonder when they'll have the official merchandise available for sale. How long before someone at you club turns up for the Sunday medal wearing the new Stingers away polo shirt? Or looking for someone to swap his spare Louis Oosthuizen sticker with the foil Niblicks badge for the official LIV Panini sticker album? 

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Mad to think how much they are spunking on this and have paid a fiver for the marketing 

I've long held the impression that whenever a Saudi / Emirati potentate decides to dip a toe into Western-style sports promotion and marketing, the advertising & advisory guys must just think of a random number and then double / treble / quadruple / square it .

The Wahhabists have so much dosh they don't give a fvck.

44 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I wonder when they'll have the official merchandise available for sale. How long before someone at you club turns up for the Sunday medal wearing the new Stingers away polo shirt? Or looking for someone to swap his spare Louis Oosthuizen sticker with the foil Niblicks badge for the official LIV Panini sticker album? 

The new Stingers away polo shirt has been leaked online. It’s a cracker. Not so sure about the home shirt though… I was thinking of going to a game, but it could kick off between the ultras from the Cleeks and Crushers. One cry of ‘go in the hole’ from the Cleeks would be enough for the Crushers lunatics to respond with a ‘mashed potato’, and we know where that leads.

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The new Stingers away polo shirt has been leaked online. It’s a cracker. Not so sure about the home shirt though… I was thinking of going to a game, but it could kick off between the ultras from the Cleeks and Crushers. One cry of ‘go in the hole’ from the Cleeks would be enough for the Crushers lunatics to respond with a ‘mashed potato’, and we know where that leads.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

I know its standard practice to have volunteer marshals and scorers in golf, but it seems ridiculous that they are paying the players millions of dollars to turn up for a nothing "tournament" and still asking people to volunteer

Considering the amount of free tickets they are giving away they're even asking folk to volunteer as spectators it seems.

24 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

The merch is here lads. I've already ordered my Punch GC away top with the Saudi 🇸🇦 sleeve patches and Ormsby 7 on the back.

This isn't something I'm willing to rush into. I'll be carefully considering my options before deciding which team I'll be supporting until the league goes bust for the rest of my days.