Golfers Thread

Gaz

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Rory has been put in an impossible position. What option does he have? Move from ‘fcuk LIV’ to ‘fcuk the lot of you’? To do what, resign from professional golf and go do something else? This new PGA/LIV/DP/Saudi umbrella is the only umbrella Rory can play under. He, and many others, have been right royally fcuked over.

He put himself in that impossible position. I always suspected these idiots would eventually regret criticisng LIV so much.

A breakaway tour might be a go-er but not if the players are as cowardly as McIlroy.

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

He put himself in that impossible position. I always suspected these idiots would eventually regret criticisng LIV so much.

A breakaway tour might be a go-er but not if the players are as cowardly as McIlroy.

Its like when someone like a family or friend spilts with their partner for the umpteenth time.... Wise people know its foolish to slate them at the time 😂

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

I understand that view, but not sure I agree with it. I’m not sure about anything relating to this clusterfcuk. I don’t get why anyone who criticised LIV and supported Monahan & the PGA Tour is an idiot. 

McIlroy went above and beyond to defend the Tour and oppose LIV. He was constantly wheeled out in pressers to do this while the tour's management hid. Maybe even to the detriment of his game.

He's been hung out to dry here.

2 hours ago, Herc said:

McIlroy went above and beyond to defend the Tour and oppose LIV. He was constantly wheeled out in pressers to do this while the tour's management hid. Maybe even to the detriment of his game.

He's been hung out to dry here.

Like Tiger, his only concern was protecting his own legacy, not the Tour itself, although that was the guise he did it under. I don't believe him speaking out was much more than that. His increasingly incoherent comments on it meant he became a focal point for questions which just fed the cycle.

Many golf fans supported McIlroy in this because he was against something which lots of us were against due to the source of the money. Now that same source of money is used to fund the PGA and he sits there with a shrug of his shoulders and says he supports the deal and that it's important to get that money into the game. Of course he still got in a 'I still hate LIV' to appease his fans, which given everything else he said in that press conference made no sense whatsoever.

Anyway back in the real world of club golf I had 35 points in our Wednesday sweep today. !7 points out and 18 back. Round in 79 so anticipating another wee cut. Think I'll be down from 6.5 to 6.2.

Only real blemish was an annoying 3 putt for a bogey on 18. I was briefly LIVid after that.

22 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Like Tiger, his only concern was protecting his own legacy, not the Tour itself, although that was the guise he did it under. I don't believe him speaking out was much more than that. His increasingly incoherent comments on it meant he became a focal point for questions which just fed the cycle.

I think this is a bit of an uncharitable view, but I've no doubt protecting his legacy was important, he turned down $300 million odd to try and do it.

54 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Many golf fans supported McIlroy in this because he was against something which lots of us were against due to the source of the money. Now that same source of money is used to fund the PGA and he sits there with a shrug of his shoulders and says he supports the deal and that it's important to get that money into the game. Of course he still got in a 'I still hate LIV' to appease his fans, which given everything else he said in that press conference made no sense whatsoever.

What else is he meant to do ? Quit golf in a huff ? Start his own tour ?

29 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Anyway back in the real world of club golf I had 35 points in our Wednesday sweep today.

Played in the midweek medal at Kirkintilloch today. Car park was rammed with Saudis in Bentleys and Phil Mickelson had blagged the 9am tee time.

Golf has changed, and not for the better. I’m out.

On 06/06/2023 at 02:41, Florentine_Pogen said:

Video on the restoration of venue for this year's US Open by Gil Hanse & Geoff Shackelford. (Hanse designed Craighead Links and Castle Stuart.)

Really looking forward to seeing how the pros handle this course, looks to be a bit of a beast and some of the greens appear terrifying.

Was driving past LACC today and because the traffic was mental we were in stop start traffic all along the road beside it, wow to say its a beautiful course isnt doing it justice, they were rolling in the media and catering stuff so all the gates were opened and could see right in, spectacular. 

On 06/06/2023 at 08:07, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

This is just the beginning for the Saudis. I won't be surprised if the European Super League comes back on the agenda with a pile of Saudi cash behind it. They can't have their Newcastle team slumming it in Luton when they could be playing Real Madrid in Jeddah instead 

Its just a shame that money is the be all and end all for everything. I hope the old firm f**k off to some super league and we can have real football back. 

7 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Genuine question……how the f**k does Jay Monahan still have a job?

You have to think that seemingly having the support of the likes of McIlroy is a big reason why he's still in post. The backing of the likes of him is probably matters more than what 100 journeyman pros think, regardless of how right or wrong that might be. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

14 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Probably the worst take I've seen on this whole issue tbh. Why is he an idiot for calling out sportswashing?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Probably the worst take I've seen on this whole issue tbh. Why is he an idiot for calling out sportswashing?

He isn't an idiot for calling out sportswashing.

He's an idiot for calling out sportswashing and then defending sportswashing weeks later. 

1 hour ago, bobbydazzler said:

4&3 win the the 2nd round of the Summer Fourball last night,  very good on the greens, absolutely honking off the tee.

Next round  we are giving 5 and 14 shots. Never seen a game when so many shots given.

Well done mate 

48 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

He isn't an idiot for calling out sportswashing.

He's an idiot for calling out sportswashing and then defending sportswashing weeks later. 

That wasn't what you initially said though, you said "these idiots would regret criticising LIV". I very much doubt Rory regrets anything he's said about it. 

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That wasn't what you initially said though, you said "these idiots would regret criticising LIV". I very much doubt Rory regrets anything he's said about it. 

Pretty sure he said in his press conference yesterday that he still “hates LIV” 

12 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Pretty sure he said in his press conference yesterday that he still “hates LIV” 

Yeah. He hates LIV but all the moral objections he raised previously are no big deal now.

He has previous for that sort of stuff though with the olympics. 

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm assuming he would regret criticising it because he's just contradicted himself by saying that he's fine with PIF pouring money into golf.

Yes he said he hates LIV, but he means the 54 hole 3 day competition. He's now fine with the sportswashing bit though. His argument is all over the place, it's hard to keep up. 

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah. He hates LIV but all the moral objections he raised previously are no big deal now.

He has previous for that sort of stuff though with the olympics. 

Yeah his problem now seems to be the 54 hole team event LIV, rather than the sportswashing bit. I have absolutely no doubt he will be lining up for the team event that he apparently hates before long.