Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 minutes ago, Herc said:

It was all a bit light on details about what shape this new tour(s) will take.

New team format will see Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell joined by two unheard of Irish diddies as ‘The Norn Irons’. 

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

New team format will see Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell joined by two unheard of Irish diddies as ‘The Norn Irons’. 

Wonder if his Monday night thing he was planning with Tiger will still go ahead ? The Saudi's now own a share in it.

9 minutes ago, Herc said:

Wonder if his Monday night thing he was planning with Tiger will still go ahead ? The Saudi's now own a share in it.

Breaking news - Rory & Tiger press conference… ‘We’ve been lied to, let down, we’re shocked and disappointed by the whole affair’.

30F3FA18-875A-4F28-ABF1-756CCC4D3AD8.jpeg

I also wonder if LIV/PIF have left the Asian Tour high and dry with this merger. They were getting decent fields and a bit investment from LIV but there's zero chance these boys will be playing the Vietnam Open now.

Not saying for a second I thought this was going to happen, but I felt off the back of the last 2 majors something big was going to have to change. I always felt the PGA just hoped that LIV was just going to seen as a tour for washed-up has-beens and that the PGA would be where those who still took it seriously played. But the performance of the LIV guys at the Masters, and then Brooks winning the PGA showed that that isn't the case, and that by joining LIV players can have their cake and eat it by getting paid a fortune, playing less, and then competing/winning the majors. The World Rankings have also become a joke off the back of it. The PGA backed themselves into a corner due to arrogance and mismanagement from the start and the end result is this total mess.

It'll be interesting to see how they work this. The team thing especially as its now been effectively 'legitimised', maybe the big name sponsors and the F1 type set up they were after might now happen.

10 minutes ago, Herc said:

It'll be interesting to see how they work this. The team thing especially as its now been effectively 'legitimised', maybe the big name sponsors and the F1 type set up they were after might now happen.

Just my opinion, but golf as a team sport only works in the formats we already know - individual golfers coming together to represent their country, or as the Ryder Cup developed, to represent their continent / tour. It works because there is some sense of history behind it, the plucky European tour players against the giant that could call upon talent a hundred times better and deeper… but it changed, ever so slowly. It organically developed into a situation whereby Seve Ballesteros and those who came along were not only the equal of, but better than, the big bad Yanks. You could see it, smell it and feel it - guys like Poulter and Garcia (for all their faults), they deeply cared, really fcuking cared about it. About skelping the Americans…

You throw together a team of strangers and call them the Crushers, the Mavericks, or the Flyers or whatever… just fcuking no.

Surely Monahan can’t survive this? 

I read that Fleetwood didn’t attend and when asked by a reporter why he wasn’t going he just shrugged his shoulders and said he was going to work on his short game 

17 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Just my opinion, but golf as a team sport only works in the formats we already know - individual golfers coming together to represent their country, or as the Ryder Cup developed, to represent their continent / tour. It works because there is some sense of history behind it, the plucky European tour players against the giant that could call upon talent a hundred times better and deeper… but it changed, ever so slowly. It organically developed into a situation whereby Seve Ballesteros and those who came along were not only the equal of, but better than, the big bad Yanks. You could see it, smell it and feel it - guys like Poulter and Garcia (for all their faults), they deeply cared, really fcuking cared about it. About skelping the Americans…

You throw together a team of strangers and call them the Crushers, the Mavericks, or the Flyers or whatever… just fcuking no.

Aye, it's obviously not going to be for everyone tbf, but they were already looking at making an Australian team, South African team, South American team etc. With the right schedule, format minus the shan team names and the big name sponsors will be lining up. 

9 minutes ago, Herc said:

Aye, it's obviously not going to be for everyone tbf, but they were already looking at making an Australian team, South African team, South American team etc. With the right schedule, format minus the shan team names and the big name sponsors will be lining up. 

No doubt. No doubt all the current big golf sponsors that have their name on tournaments will continue to sponsor them no matter what umbrella the tournament now operates under. Saudi funded or whatever. Can’t see Rolex for example, suddenly not sponsoring golf. Hell, they probably sell more of their expensive goods in Saudi than just about anywhere anyway.

It’s absolutely not something I want to watch - there’s no chance, not a chance in a million, of me ever wondering what some artificially created golf ‘team’ are up to, or how they are doing. Looking up a website or whatever to view a ‘league table’ to see if the ‘Aussie Krushers’ or whatever are moving up the table? It simply does not even register on my list of things to do. Right up there with me checking the latest USA professional lacrosse league scores, or how the table tennis in Beijing went last night. 

Edited by pozbaird

13 hours ago, peasy23 said:

My take from that letter is that LIV have realised they are still way behind in terms of tv coverage etc, and have flung a huge wad of cash at Monahan to cave in and "merge" the tours.

This is what I don't get about it, LIV is tanking on ratings, the last tournaments final round was scratched for a rerun of aomething else on the US TV deal they have, it's not like LIVs product is so good that it's in any way rivalling the PGAs. The team aspect is only really enjoyed by the casual mashed potato mob, traditional golf fans have the Ryder Cup and other similar team events to watch and a season team format I don't think will have much appeal. It can only be that the Saudis have offered eye watering money to merge and the PGA has sold its players down the river. For profit and tax exempt. Lol. 

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

No doubt. No doubt all the current big golf sponsors that have their name on tournaments will continue to sponsor them no matter what umbrella the tournament now operates under. Saudi funded or whatever. Can’t see Rolex for example, suddenly not sponsoring golf. Hell, they probably sell more of their expensive goods in Saudi than just about anywhere anyway.

It’s absolutely not something I want to watch - there’s no chance, not a chance in a million, of me ever wondering what some artificially created golf ‘team’ are up to, or how they are doing. Looking up a website or whatever to view a ‘league table’ to see if the ‘Aussie Krushers’ or whatever are moving up the table? It simply does not even register on my list of things to do. Right up there with me checking the latest USA professional lacrosse league scores, or how the table tennis in Beijing went last night. 

You're not the target audience for this though.

Hideki Matsuyama's Srixon Samurais taking on Sunjae's Genesis Golf will have millions of people invested and tuning in.

2 minutes ago, Herc said:

You're not the target audience for this though.

Hideki Matsuyama's Srixon Samurais taking on Sunjae's Genesis Golf will have millions of people invested and tuning in.

If the Samurais are up against the Maryhill Mashie Jags in a relegation playoff, I might tune in for that.

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This is what I don't get about it, LIV is tanking on ratings, the last tournaments final round was scratched for a rerun of aomething else on the US TV deal they have, it's not like LIVs product is so good that it's in any way rivalling the PGAs. The team aspect is only really enjoyed by the casual mashed potato mob, traditional golf fans have the Ryder Cup and other similar team events to watch and a season team format I don't think will have much appeal. It can only be that the Saudis have offered eye watering money to merge and the PGA has sold its players down the river. For profit and tax exempt. Lol. 

I don't think the team thing will be season long like it is now. The Saudi's have a seat at the table which is what they were after all along. LIV in its current form is probably dead in the water alongside Norman. Imo they'll move to having the elite play 12-16 elevated events between January and August, with the Saudis putting up the extra cash to get the good fields for the non US based events, then a team thing sponsored by Aramco in the off season.