Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'll maybe need to get along to Troon next year if it's 2027 before it's back in Scotland.

Go to archerfield this weekend it's less than half the price and apart from a couple all the top guys will be there 

6 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Played golf on holiday and hired clubs. They gave me what appeared to be a brand new set of Ping G425 woods and irons. 

I'm playing at home with a set of 10 or so year old Taylor Made Rocketblade irons, which, until now I've not really considered changing, but these Ping irons and woods where so much more forgiving than mine. 

Might end up being the most expensive round of gold I've played. 

That's what I am playing with and always thought they were very forgiving, but recently I have played with some better players who have suggested something more forgiving. I suppose things have moved on in 10 years 😄

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

My irons and woods are G425s. They’re very enjoyable to play with, would highly recommend pulling the trigger.

Bought a G425 Max driver on Ebay today......cost £230 which is probably ok for a one year old club in good condition (forget paying around £500 for something new)  Driving has been awful for a while so finally ditching the white Taylormade 10 year old driver which although not to blame had annoyed me for a while just looking at it.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Go to archerfield this weekend it's less than half the price and apart from a couple all the top guys will be there 

Yeah I keep saying to myself every year I'll need to go l get across to it and have never done. A bit less of a trek as well. 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Officially there are 10 courses on the rota. Muirfield was dropped due to not having women members, eventually changing in 2017. Turnberry obviously won't be used while it has the Trump name attached. Lytham is currently the course with the longest wait outside of Turnberry, last hosting the Open in 2012.

As you say there all sorts of reasons why some of the courses are struggling to get a place on the rota,  the need to hold it at St Andrews every 5 years doesn't help either, but from a golf point of view it's a real shame some of these courses are being sidelined a bit. 

I think Carnoustie are hoping to host before 2030 although they were trying to secure backing from the council to help make this happen. 

19 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah I keep saying to myself every year I'll need to go l get across to it and have never done. A bit less of a trek as well. 

Train to longniddrie is decent ...free shuttle bus back and forth if you fancy a beer or 12 

20 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

As you say there all sorts of reasons why some of the courses are struggling to get a place on the rota,  the need to hold it at St Andrews every 5 years doesn't help either, but from a golf point of view it's a real shame some of these courses are being sidelined a bit. 

I think Carnoustie are hoping to host before 2030 although they were trying to secure backing from the council to help make this happen. 

Some interesting stuff on this thread, looks like Lytham is carrying out some work to be Open ready again. St. George's had better crowds than Muirfield even with Covid restrictions. 

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

It's an absolute shitshow for Monahan so far. Newcastle director Amanda Staveley playing a huge part in brokering the deal between PIF and the PGA Tour, part of which was to try to get Yasir Al-Rumayyan memberships of both the R&A and Augusta National.

There was a must call list to be made on the day of the announcement, with Monahan down to call Tiger and Rory. It appears his arse collapsed at the thought of having to tell them he had hung them out to dry, and Jimmy Dunne made those calls instead.

Edited by peasy23

I wonder if Muirfield might not hold the Open until the Scottish Open changes venue or schedule. Having them back to back next door to each other sounds like a logistical nightmare for East Lothian and both events might take a hit attendance wise.

8 hours ago, Smithers Jones said:

That's what I am playing with and always thought they were very forgiving, but recently I have played with some better players who have suggested something more forgiving. I suppose things have moved on in 10 years 😄

I really like mine and I've not ever felt that changing them would suddenly improve my game, but I'm having second thoughts about that now. 

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I really like mine and I've not ever felt that changing them would suddenly improve my game, but I'm having second thoughts about that now. 

I changed from a set of TaylorMade R540s which were over 10 years old, to a set of Ping G400s 4 years ago and there was an instant improvement in my scoring. Hitting some of the best iron shots of my life, I'm sure the G410s and G425s would be even better.

One thing I did do with the old ones which gave me an improvement was get them regripped, didn't actually realise how bad they were until I got the new grips on.