Golfers Thread

Gaz

6 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Is anyone going this week? Never been but off on Thursday and tickets are a decent price. 

I went a couple of years ago. It's a decent course for spectators with a few spots having multiple tee/green sites where you can see a few groups at a time.

Saw this from Richie Ramsay, used to be a staple for our family on holiday to have a go at Pitch and Putt. Plenty of places we went like Morecambe and Scarborough no longer have their courses, while Glasgow had them in several public parks but they are now all gone. Hardly even a putting green left anywhere. 

Screenshot_20230712_092201_Twitter.jpg

Was up in St Andrews Monday into Tuesday, firstly, got caught up in the delays caused by the two-car crash near Golf Drive that sadly saw someone lose their life, and having eventually got into town, never knew about the work going on at the Old Course clubhouse. What a mess that whole area is right now. Not knowing about the construction work in advance, when I walked down Golf Drive and first saw the scene, I thought a bomb had hit it!

43 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Was up in St Andrews Monday into Tuesday, firstly, got caught up in the delays caused by the two-car crash near Golf Drive that sadly saw someone lose their life, and having eventually got into town, never knew about the work going on at the Old Course clubhouse. What a mess that whole area is right now. Not knowing about the construction work in advance, when I walked down Golf Drive and first saw the scene, I thought a bomb had hit it!

Iirc they are building a new locker room underground?

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

One thing I did do with the old ones which gave me an improvement was get them regripped, didn't actually realise how bad they were until I got the new grips on.

I’ll try to find it and link it here, but there was an article I saw recently that took a group of golfers with clubs that were 5 years old, and just regripped their clubs. They all improved by 2-3 shots per round, with the majority of them losing that recognisable pull from holding the club too tightly.

This chat has reminded me that I am probably due some new grips!

The Himalayas at St Andrews were the classic putting green for me when I was younger. Any time we went on a trip to St Andrews, the putter came with me and I strolled up to the wee hut like a pro with putter already in hand.

Also have great memories of the putting green at Pitlochry from childhood holidays up there. Went back there last year and it's still going strong.

When I was a student living at the top of Viewforth, I used to love a summer's evening hit around the Brunstfield Links wee course (all 36 holes, natch) followed by a couple of jars in Bennet's Bar. Then probably a couple more in Bentley's. Then for some reason things generally started to get a bit hazy... 🤔

16 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Some interesting stuff on this thread, looks like Lytham is carrying out some work to be Open ready again. St. George's had better crowds than Muirfield even with Covid restrictions. 

That thread is a good read. St George's being in the south east of England means it will always draw good crowds.  The Muirfield figure there seems like the only outlier.

Is it just me or is Hoylake a really dull course with few memorable holes? Let's hope the "new" 17th this year is fun. Like Lytham it isn't really next to the sea but almost surrounded by houses. St George's is apparently the players' least favourite as the bounces are so unfair.

Portrush has (rightly) been reintroduced, with Turnberry unofficially dropped, so overall, with my nationalist bunnet on, I think Scotland is losing out a bit on the Open scheduling and rota these days compared to years gone by.  Used to be 5-3 Scotland and it's now 4-5.  Overall the rota seems a bit stale.

I also think the R&A should have shown some initiative and held a crowd-free 2020 Open somewhere unusual like Royal Dornoch or Old Prestwick (how long does it take to build a few extra back tees!? 😉 or take it to Porthcawl or Aberdeen rather than just banking their massive insurance payout like Wimbledon did.

Glad to see it back at Birkdale.  I was down for the final day last year as a guest of a member.  I also played it a few weeks before with the grandstands up, which completely changes the course!

If you’ve not played it, it is really hard to explain just how ridiculously wide right Spieth was off the 13th tee.  It should never have been anything other than OB.

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

That thread is a good read. St George's being in the south east of England means it will always draw good crowds.  The Muirfield figure there seems like the only outlier.

Is it just me or is Hoylake a really dull course with few memorable holes? Let's hope the "new" 17th this year is fun. Like Lytham it isn't really next to the sea but almost surrounded by houses. St George's is apparently the players' least favourite as the bounces are so unfair.

Portrush has (rightly) been reintroduced, with Turnberry unofficially dropped, so overall, with my nationalist bunnet on, I think Scotland is losing out a bit on the Open scheduling and rota these days compared to years gone by.  Used to be 5-3 Scotland and it's now 4-5.  Overall the rota seems a bit stale.

I also think the R&A should have shown some initiative and held a crowd-free 2020 Open somewhere unusual like Royal Dornoch or Old Prestwick (how long does it take to build a few extra back tees!? 😉 or take it to Porthcawl or Aberdeen rather than just banking their massive insurance payout like Wimbledon did.

I agree with the suggestion of Aberdeen or Dornoch.  I just don’t think Prestwick works any more - it’s in the “too quirky” camp on so many holes, and has a pretty weak finish.  Great fun for someone of my level but I just can’t see it for the pros.

Clicky

Todays Golfer published a list of the 100 most fun courses in GB&I.  Some great shouts in there and hard to argue with the winner.

I’d have Dumbarnie higher up, and I don’t think the Castle has any place on the list (as good a course as it is, it’s hard work!)

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

I seem to remember there being internal OB which always strikes me as a bit shite, I suppose it does speed up play. The year Tiger romped it, apart from it being Tiger, there wasn't any sort of hole on the way in you thought someone could rack up a double bogey.

4 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Glad to see it back at Birkdale.  I was down for the final day last year as a guest of a member.  I also played it a few weeks before with the grandstands up, which completely changes the course!

If you’ve not played it, it is really hard to explain just how ridiculously wide right Spieth was off the 13th tee.  It should never have been anything other than OB.

Iirc his shot wasn't actually that wide, but it was when he took a penalty drop and went back on the line he had he ended up in between two trucks on the driving range, then got free relief to move it sideways from there. Would agree that the range area should have been OB though.

23 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Iirc his shot wasn't actually that wide, but it was when he took a penalty drop and went back on the line he had he ended up in between two trucks on the driving range, then got free relief to move it sideways from there. Would agree that the range area should have been OB though.

Anything over the mounds onto the practice area is ridiculously wide!

On 06/07/2023 at 11:23, funky_nomad said:

Played really solid drama-free golf yesterday evening in the Midweek Medal, shot a nett 72 for 3rd place and the Handicap Index is now down to 5.3 with 9 (nine!) free hits to come.  Will be disappointed not to get under 5.0 now - just need 3 rounds under 80 at Ladybank to get there (that's jinxed it...)

Could pretty much repeat this post word for word for last night (apart from the 3rd place finish).

Now down to a new low handicap index of 4.9. Chuffed.