Golfers Thread

Gaz

Mentioned previously I'm back playing golf after nearly 20 years. Generally going fairly well. Only now getting a grip of how far I hit each club. Was doing a bit of googling to see how it stacked up against Joe public.

This is apparently average driver carry by age group based on data from Trackman etc. That surely can't be anywhere near right, surely?

Screenshot_20230718_003728_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.519ef7fbedbaf139e897b345285b32d9.jpg

7 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Mentioned previously I'm back playing golf after nearly 20 years. Generally going fairly well. Only now getting a grip of how far I hit each club. Was doing a bit of googling to see how it stacked up against Joe public.

This is apparently average driver carry by age group based on data from Trackman etc. That surely can't be anywhere near right, surely?

Screenshot_20230718_003728_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.519ef7fbedbaf139e897b345285b32d9.jpg

I suppose it maybe stands to reason that its biased towards better, more serious golfers who are maybe more likely to spend time on a trackman? I play with a few low teen/high single figure handicappers and I dont think any of them would average 231 yards carry. That would probably be representative of their better drives with the shite dragging the average down maybe. 

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

I’d say 231 yards would be an average carry for me. I bombed one 260 the other day (I’m not a long hitter) and was delighted 

Th only thing i'd say in defence of those stats is that I bet most "i'm not a long hitter" types would be surprised by their averages if they wiped out the obvious duffers. Toptracer app allows you to drop shots out from the calculation, last time I was at the range I dropped out 2 mishits and it took my average carry to 219 for like 20 drives maybe. I'd currently snap your hand of for a 231 yard average though. As I always say, "Drive for show, putt for dough" is a phrase used exclusively by c***s who have no problems off the tee. 

50 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I suppose it maybe stands to reason that its biased towards better, more serious golfers who are maybe more likely to spend time on a trackman? I play with a few low teen/high single figure handicappers and I dont think any of them would average 231 yards carry. That would probably be representative of their better drives with the shite dragging the average down maybe. 

I would agree with this.  I’m in my 40s with a handicap that varies between 8 and 12, and I don’t think my average carry is much more than 200.  According to ShotScope my average drive (including run) is 220 and my “performance average” (ie, taking out the shite) is 244.  Given I play links courses, there is no way that all but 10 yards of that is in the air!

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Without wanting to sound like a dick, I am shocked it's so low. I suppose it probably takes into account the odd absolute shocker of a thin etc which I hadn't really considered. 

17 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Without wanting to sound like a dick, I am shocked it's so low. I suppose it probably takes into account the odd absolute shocker of a thin etc which I hadn't really considered. 

I thought you were meaning they seemed long. I'd have said if the list is accurate its biased towards low handicappers, because consistently getting 231 yards carry off the tee is pretty big hitting as far as I can see on the course...

ETA im speaking in terms of my own age range obvs

Edited by Bairnardo

According to Arccos, my average total distance off the tee is 237, and just based on watching the flight I’d be surprised if that was all carry. I’m 41 and currently playing off 11.

I would consider myself a shorter hitter, against both similar handicaps and similar ages

14 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'd say it's very similar figures that I've seen from a guy on Twitter called Lou Stagner who uses literally millions of shots from Arccos golf to collate the data. I'm 52 and my good drives are certainly in the region of that table. 

The one thing I would say you would need to look at is a further breakdown within those age groups relating to handicap, as whatever age someone is a low handicapper will likely be averaging a good bit further than a high handicapper. 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I thought you were meaning they seemed long. I'd have said if the list is accurate its biased towards low handicappers, because consistently getting 231 yards carry off the tee is pretty big hitting as far as I can see on the course...

ETA im speaking in terms of my own age range obvs

I only really ever play by myself or occassionally with a friend (the same one) so I don't really get a chance to compare myself directly to many people. The gadgets at the driving range tell me my average carry is approx 265 - 270 yards. 

1 minute ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I only really ever play by myself or occassionally with a friend (the same one) so I don't really get a chance to compare myself directly to many people. The gadgets at the driving range tell me my average carry is approx 265 - 270 yards. 

I could be wrong, or using too small a sample size, but that as an average carry would put you in the very big hitter category for an amateur golfer

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I could be wrong, or using too small a sample size, but that as an average carry would put you in the very big hitter category for an amateur golfer

I played off 4 when I was 16 so there is some reasonable technique in my muscle memory. I recently got a driver fitting and the clubhead speed of the driver just tipped into the range for an extra stiff shaft (but opted for stiff)