Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 hours ago, TheGoon said:

My favourite golfer so it’s all very depressing. A lot of the same discourse you had around Jordan Henderson. “Could YOU turn down £450m??” probably not mate - but I’m not on £150k a week already. 

I understand old c***s going, and guys that are never really going to be challenging for majors - but someone in Rahm’s position is wild. Complete and utter greed.

He'll still be challenging in majors though. I'm sure he was offered insane amounts of money last year but rejected it, but winning the Masters thus extending his exemptions, plus watching the likes of Koepka still competing/winning majors while playing LIV, will I'm sure have swung things in LIV's favour (although I'm sure a few extra million might have helped too).

I think we'll enter a weird phase in Golf where the PGA will slowly decline, sponsors will pull out or cut their sponsorships and viewing figures will fall. But I don't think those viewers will necessarily transfer over to LIV. Viewing figures for the majors will probably increase as it's the only time you'll see all the best players and there will be added spice with the LIV players and PGA. But I think golf will lose a lot of fairly big fans who feel disillusioned - a lot of the best players play in a format which is terrible, the historic PGA events will have 2nd rate fields, and the World Rankings will become even more absurd.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think we'll enter a weird phase in Golf where the PGA will slowly decline, sponsors will pull out or cut their sponsorships and viewing figures will fall. But I don't think those viewers will necessarily transfer over to LIV. Viewing figures for the majors will probably increase as it's the only time you'll see all the best players and there will be added spice with the LIV players and PGA. But I think golf will lose a lot of fairly big fans who feel disillusioned - a lot of the best players play in a format which is terrible, the historic PGA events will have 2nd rate fields, and the World Rankings will become even more absurd.

Wells Fargo announced today they are pulling there sponsorship of there tourney because the pga were wanting to much 

On 05/12/2023 at 10:48, funky_nomad said:

The look of and feedback from blades is lovely, but after a while that feedback begins to be "you do know you're not good enough to hit these, don't you??"

Oh i know im not, but honestly enjoy the 3 iron off the tee. Might keep them as a practice set because of the feedback you get, hopefully get me hitting more consistently out the centre. 

16 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Not available in the UK yet and still no reviews online, but their wedges always get good reviews.

Screenshot_20231209_182627_Chrome.jpg

I have the wedges, they are great, i cant say i use the 60 much because i prefer opening up the 56 in the bunker and feel its enough loft for any shot i need, but the 52 and 56 are great clubs. 

32 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Multiple reports are saying Finau has signed for LIV. He needs the money for his 400 kids. 

Finau is to me the example of just how boring and unappealing LIV is, he bored me to tears on the netflix documentary and LIV with its frat boy shite bores me to tears too. Its golf for americans who have no attention span and need loud music paid for by the people who funded 9/11, i just cant get my head around why so many americans are staunchly for it. Imo the Saudi’s are ruining every sport they touch. 

4 hours ago, Albertlegend said:

I think the PGA have fucked themselves in the whole LIV thing, trying to make that deal in the summer has given the players who were loyal a reason to jump ship now, I just wish they would quit with the whole growing the game shit and just admit it's all about the Benjamin's! 

Rahm has sounded the "growing the game" klaxon already, but also managed to imply that the weather can be unfair on other tours.

I think the talk that the PGA Tour were looking at other investors has sent PIF into overdrive to recruit some really big names. Imo Rahm thinks there will be some sort of merger and he will be back on the PGA Tour within a couple of years, but with a huge stack of cash in the bank.

12 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Finau is to me the example of just how boring and unappealing LIV is, he bored me to tears on the netflix documentary 

You are a heartless man!

I have always really liked Tony, he’s one of the players I am always rooting for and I think he always comes across as a really down to earth, good guy. He’s one of the very few players I’d be genuinely disappointed to see bugger off to LIV. If he is indeed having money issues then fair enough, I just hope he doesn’t trot out the usual pish if he does go. I’ll be fully expecting a Harold Varner esque statement from a good guy like Tony. 

If Bob, Theegala or Homa jump ship I’m done with professional golf.

13 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

You are a heartless man!

I have always really liked Tony, he’s one of the players I am always rooting for and I think he always comes across as a really down to earth, good guy. He’s one of the very few players I’d be genuinely disappointed to see bugger off to LIV. If he is indeed having money issues then fair enough, I just hope he doesn’t trot out the usual pish if he does go. I’ll be fully expecting a Harold Varner esque statement from a good guy like Tony. 

If Bob, Theegala or Homa jump ship I’m done with professional golf.

I've seen rumours about Hovland too - my second fave after Bob. Things are changing rapidly though.  The PGA tour could be close to collapse - or a full Saudi PIF buyout - and no one knows what, if any, agreement will be reached or how many stars will jump in the meantime.  Everyone has a price (except maybe Eddie Pepperell).  After Rahm, who knows might go. Hatton seems very likely along with Finau.

Most people only really care about who wins the majors and the Ryder Cup (and I very much doubt any of those will fall to the Saudis).  I'll always try to watch the Players and the Scottish Open too but the other events (especially on the PGA tour, with the possible exception of Bay Hill and Harbour Town) are bland.  I dislike LIV, but its current loss-making form with silly events/teams may just be a placeholder.  Basically we need a unified world tour and it's likely to have Saudi money behind it if it happens.

Oh, and Finau annoyed me too on the Netlfix thing. Bit too much of a goody-two-shoes God-botherer.  He's still one of the more acceptable Yanks though.

Edited by VictorOnopko

God knows how he can justify it considering he is making such a rip roaring c**t of his job, but Jay Monahan's overall compensation rose by almost $5 million dollars last year. He is the highest paid commissioner in US sport despite the PGA's revenues being dwarfed by the 3 big sports.

Screenshot_20231214_054931_X.jpg

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

God knows how he can justify it considering he is making such a rip roaring c**t of his job, but Jay Monahan's overall compensation rose by almost $5 million dollars last year. He is the highest paid commissioner in US sport despite the PGA's revenues being dwarfed by the 3 big sports.

Screenshot_20231214_054931_X.jpg

Second highest. The NFL commissioner earns more than the 4 mentioned there combined. 

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Second highest. The NFL commissioner earns more than the 4 mentioned there combined. 

Forgot about Goodell. Point stands thought that Monahan appears to be massively overpaid in comparison to the others. Would love to know what performance figures he met to justify the bonuses involved. No wonder he doesn't want to leave.

Screenshot_20231214_134730_X.jpg