Golfers Thread

Gaz

26 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Both scots finished+4 so long weekend, Matthew Pavon again having a good week,3 tourneys played 3 cuts made

Pavon, Hojgaard and Hitsatsune all look like they are making the transition to the PGAT with ease. Stating the obvious but Bob needs a good week to get his confidence up. Maybe he'll do something random like contend at / win the Players!

Edited by VictorOnopko

5 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Pavon, Hojgaard and Hitsatsune all look like they are making the transition to the PGAT with ease. Stating the obvious but Bob needs a good week to get his confidence up. Maybe he'll do something random like contend at / win the Players!

He’s got some serious, serious work to do on his putting which is something he has been struggling with for a good while now. The stats from his first round on Wednesday were wild but I suppose the positive is that he’s actually playing well outwith the putting. 

On 26/01/2024 at 08:21, VictorOnopko said:

Pavon looks like he’s about to win the Farmers here which shows what can be done for Bob as he was a solid DPWT player for years who had a good year and is now about to cash in on a good week in the States. As said, his putting was already a major weakness and it is one which will be even more harshly punished over there with those courses.

11 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

Pavon looks like he’s about to win the Farmers here which shows what can be done for Bob as he was a solid DPWT player for years who had a good year and is now about to cash in on a good week in the States. As said, his putting was already a major weakness and it is one which will be even more harshly punished over there with those courses.

I don't think the week-in week-out PGAT courses have more difficult greens than the Euro tour, and Bob has been an excellent putter in the past (e.g. his two Masters appearances on genuinely scary greens). The worry is that he has lost it just now to the point that it's a liability so everything depends on if/how fast he can get that touch back. If he can't do that soon then he won't make cuts and this will be a single season in the states.

On 28/01/2024 at 09:23, doulikefish said:

Thought Pavon was going to blow it had a mega wobble on the 17th and was in trouble on the 18th but a superb 3rd set up a birdie to win it 

Always a bit suspect when a player has a wander around so close to his ball.

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Tyrell to LIV on a 50 million deal 

Still in the field for this week's event at Pebble if he is going you would think Liv would insist he does it now as it's there first texas scramble this week or whatever it is they do 

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Always a bit suspect when a player has a wander around so close to his ball.

Just some yank trying there hardest to get the pga to do something about nothing as loads do that 

11 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Still in the field for this week's event at Pebble if he is going you would think Liv would insist he does it now as it's there first texas scramble this week or whatever it is they do 

Well that changed about 2 hrs later🤣

I honestly think less of the likes of Hatton and Rahm than I do of Poulter or Westwood. Sat back and let others take all the heat, waited for merger talks to commence and when they know it's nearly a done deal they take the sportswashing cash anyway. Fat, greedy b*****ds.

12 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I have to laugh at McIlroy's backtracking on LIV now that some of his mates are signing up.

He's in an impossible position given how things have developed but yeah, having to admit to major u-turn now as he wants Rahm and Hatton on his RC team is a honking look. No one should be fined for returning to Rory's tour(s) now. He obviously thought he could give Westwood, Garcia etc both barrels because they were too old for his future RC teams. 

39 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

He's in an impossible position given how things have developed but yeah, having to admit to major u-turn now as he wants Rahm and Hatton on his RC team is a honking look. No one should be fined for returning to Rory's tour(s) now. He obviously thought he could give Westwood, Garcia etc both barrels because they were too old for his future RC teams. 

Garcia deserved both barrells tbf. He was acting like a spoiled child the whole time and continues to feel entitled to absolutely everything.

9 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

I used to enjoy watching the golf.  Can't be bothered with the LIV tour and fast losing interest in the PGA.

I have absolutely zero desire to watch LIV. Even when it was free on YouTube I’d still not put it on 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Garcia deserved both barrells tbf. He was acting like a spoiled child the whole time and continues to feel entitled to absolutely everything.

Nah. Sergio is petulant, spoiled, badly behaved and frankly seems a bit unstable (that has always been the case, all through his career, and hot-headedness is one of the things which made him interesting) but he is also Europe's greatest Ryder Cup player of all time, and deserved some respect based on that, if nothing else. When he left for LIV (a bad look, I agree; LIV is rubbish and he did it for the money) he was not only fined and condemned by his peers but was essentially cut off/ghosted by Rory on a personal level, even though Rory was best man at his wedding. Rory now suddenly says no one should be fined after all, LIV players should be eligible for the Ryder Cup, and the two of them appear to have made up when Sergio reached out.  Rory must be a poor judge of character (or have been totally blinded by PGA Tour zeal) to have gone from close friends/best man to hating Sergio for going to play golf somewhere else he didn't approve of.

I don't think Sergio deserved all the slagging.  I do agree with you that the guys who went to LIV first, basically as a final huge pay off late in their careers, copped far more heat than Rahm, Hatton or Meronk are now.  The latter are still stepping away from proper tour golf and bagging masses of Saudi cash. Meanwhile, the European / Dubai Ports tour is a hollowed out shell and the golf world is in flux.

Hopefully this is all sorted out soon and a unified approach with various different backers can be agreed.  The politics of it all are so, so boring at this stage.

PS Sergio winning the Masters remains in my Top 3 favourite majors along with Lyle '88 and Stenson '16 (another LIVver - boo, hiss, etc.).

Edited by VictorOnopko