Golfers Thread

Gaz

Posted (edited)

Morikawa has his game back but that's the 4th round in both majors and now today where he's not making the putts he would be if he wants to get over the line. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Scheffler holes a downhill knee knocker for par on the last to win it. Certainly not as imperious as his previous wins this season, but it's him that will be lifting thd trophy.

44 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Scheffler holes a downhill knee knocker for par on the last to win it. Certainly not as imperious as his previous wins this season, but it's him that will be lifting thd trophy.

...........and another $4m for the piggy bank.

Sergio Garcia gets in to thd US Open field as an alternate, which will mean he has been in 25 straight US Opens.

Adam Scott will also stretch his run of consecutive majors to 92, but I suspect it will be with very mixed emotions for him as he got his place due to the death of Grayson Murray. 

The US Open blazers are pulling Boab's chain I think. He's been partnered with Nick Taylor & Mackenzie Hughes for Thurs./Fri. rounds.

The 2 Canadians that were battling Bob for their home Open.

The planet's top 3 together.  McIlroy, Scheffler & Schauffele..........😮  Rory better have his 'A game' mojo working.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2024/06/11/2024-us-open-thursday-first-round-tee-times-pairings-how-to-watch/

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

6 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

The US Open blazers are pulling Boab's chain I think. He's been partnered with Nick Taylor & Mackenzie Hughes for Thurs./Fri. rounds.

McIlroy, Scheffler & Schauffele together..........😮  Rory better have his 'A game' mojo working.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2024/06/11/2024-us-open-thursday-first-round-tee-times-pairings-how-to-watch/

A late tee time on Thursday might mean he has a chance to be finished in time for the Scotland match on Friday.

47 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

The planet's top 3 together.  McIlroy, Scheffler & Schauffele..........😮  Rory better have his 'A game' mojo working.

US Open tee times are always a bit stupid. Putting Bob out with the two Canadians was probably considered funny to the dottery old fools in charge, I’m pretty sure they put 3 fat guys out together one of the year. Hilarious.

As an aside, I find the way that groups are deliberately fixed a bit odd. They have the weather forecast, and could deliberately place players in the good weather (as an example). It’s probably not a thing this week, but the Open really should be a random draw to decide when you play.

6 hours ago, tamba_trio said:

US Open tee times are always a bit stupid. Putting Bob out with the two Canadians was probably considered funny to the dottery old fools in charge, I’m pretty sure they put 3 fat guys out together one of the year. Hilarious.

As an aside, I find the way that groups are deliberately fixed a bit odd. They have the weather forecast, and could deliberately place players in the good weather (as an example). It’s probably not a thing this week, but the Open really should be a random draw to decide when you play.

I'd imagine the TV companies get a big say in pairings and tee times. There's always 3 or 4 marquee groups close together in both halves of the draw in majors for this very reason.

The coverage of final round of Memorial on Sunday was a feckin' joke due to number of adverts.

ETA - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jun/11/rory-mcilroy-scottie-scheffler-golf-us-open

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

54 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

*Checks odds on Rory missing the cut*

Rory misses the cut and the first thing on Sky’s Saturday coverage is McGinley telling us that Rory can still win this if he gets off to a fast start.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

A few clips doing the rounds showing some of the Pinehurst greens being ludicrously fast.

A bit like Kirkintilloch this morning then. 😁 Were the fastest they’ve been this season. Didn’t hold me back. Out in 43 back in 42. Stunning display of dazzling mediocrity. Was great though. Dry. A bit parky mind you. It is summer, isn’t it?