Golfers Thread

Gaz

I've been really inconsistent for months now, but had a good round today (6 over par).
Been up to 16 over par some days.  I just kept plugging away and everything seems to be straightening up lovely.
My usual trouble is over-swinging, so I've cut this back.  

Played my first medal since receiving my handicap last night, on for a 0.6 cut even with 2 7s on the card, 5 on the last was all I needed, good drive and when id usally lay up before the burn I went for it putting it in the burn and then coming off with another 7, hit Standard scratch and no cut due to greed. What an idiot. 

Funny old game, if the standard scratch stays the same as what it was when I left then I'll be getting cut 1.5 today. 12 over front 9 after losing 2 balls in horrendous rain thinking id be doing well to hit buffer. Back 9 I was level upto the 18th tee before putting a ball in the water with my third and coming away with a 7, looking back at a couple of stupid holes thinking about ifs and buts but should really just enjoy being cut. 

Was leading when I left and standard scratch was up a couple of shots so shows the course was playing hard but with the nice weather out now I'd expect a few very good scores in later and the SS to come down a shot or 2. 

Funny old game, if the standard scratch stays the same as what it was when I left then I'll be getting cut 1.5 today. 12 over front 9 after losing 2 balls in horrendous rain thinking id be doing well to hit buffer. Back 9 I was level upto the 18th tee before putting a ball in the water with my third and coming away with a 7, looking back at a couple of stupid holes thinking about ifs and buts but should really just enjoy being cut. 

Was leading when I left and standard scratch was up a couple of shots so shows the course was playing hard but with the nice weather out now I'd expect a few very good scores in later and the SS to come down a shot or 2. 

CSS was sitting at 72 this afternoon but it sounds like a cracking back nine!

I had a horrible round tonight, managed to completely lose the rag and flung my 5 wood off my bag, nice broken shaft. Embarrassing.

It's not worth getting this wound up about... Was about greeting with frustration. I play on my own a lot and after a few bad shots my game entirely degenerates to the point I can't hit a ball, constant tops and full shanks.

I know I can do it which is the worst thing, I just have no confidence and it's driving me daft.

I had a horrible round tonight, managed to completely lose the rag and flung my 5 wood off my bag, nice broken shaft. Embarrassing.

It's not worth getting this wound up about... Was about greeting with frustration. I play on my own a lot and after a few bad shots my game entirely degenerates to the point I can't hit a ball, constant tops and full shanks.

I know I can do it which is the worst thing, I just have no confidence and it's driving me daft.

Used to play myself quite a lot too, and it took me a while to figure out that my worst habit was not taking enough time to get myself set up to hit a shot. Make sure you have given yourself time to catch your breath and go through your usual pre shot routine* after you've walked up to your ball.

*unless you're usual routine takes as long as Jason Day! In which case you should get fecking on with it!

Played medal today and managed to buffer. Lost a ball on 9th to run up triple bogey but also had 3 birdies including two 2`s which will earn some cash. Out in 42 back in 39 for 81-7=74. CSS 72.

On the 4 par 3`s I had two tap-in 2`s, lipped out for another and left birdie putt an inch short bang on line at the other.

Might have generated a stewards enquiry if i`d birdied them all mind you.:lol:

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

4 hours ago, mojito said:

CSS was sitting at 72 this afternoon but it sounds like a cracking back nine!

Was thinking it would come down yeah, perfect conditions for playing in when I was on the back nine so if you'd teed off about 10am you could really have tore it up. 

Any idea what score was leading when you left? 

47 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Used to play myself quite a lot too, and it took me a while to figure out that my worst habit was not taking enough time to get myself set up to hit a shot. Make sure you have given yourself time to catch your breath and go through your usual pre shot routine* after you've walked up to your ball.

*unless you're usual routine takes as long as Jason Day! In which case you should get fecking on with it!

Cheers mate, it's definitely along those lines. All mental, I can be semi competent when I play with others!

Just need to be a bit more accepting of the bad shots too and take it a wee bit less serious when it does go wrong.

Was thinking it would come down yeah, perfect conditions for playing in when I was on the back nine so if you'd teed off about 10am you could really have tore it up. 

Any idea what score was leading when you left? 

Yeah, I went out at the back of ten and the conditions were spot on! although I didn't tear it up, I limped in on buffer. [emoji23][emoji23]

There was a 69 leading I think.

I see Monty is hitting the opening tee shot at the Open on Thursday. I`m not his biggest fan but that`s a nice touch by the R&A.

Yep, nice touch. I'm sure he'll be delighted at the 4am rise, although at his age he probably gets up for a piss around that time anyway.

I'm heading down tomorrow for the practice day, hopefully the rain stays away.

Anybody able to clarify something.

Me and my mates are all members at falkirk and we almost always play a fourball. Only one of us has got a handicap,so does that mean that he can only mark one of our cards for handicap purposes?

Don't see any problem in him marking all cards.

Got my handicap at the weekend (21, god knows how)

Considering playing the saturday medal this week, but no idea how it works.. can book a tee time on howdidido and then i think its a fiver to play in the medal, anyone a member at falkirk and can clarify this for me?

Up in phd for the day so played the 18th oldest course in the world in a gentle 12mph breeze,ive honestly forgotten how to play links golf and its annoyed the f@@k out of me as i struck the ball really well but my clubbing was useless
I grew up about 100 yards fae the place and learned how to play there