Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played my first medal of the season yesterday having not played a whole lot of golf at all this year.

Started with a double but was only 3 over at the turn. Dropped one at 13 before duffing into jungle off the 14th tee and taking an 8.

Went bogey, bogey, double after that with a par at the last saving buffer by way of stableford adjustment.

Was expecting nothing other than a +0.1 before I teed off so pleased that the game isn't as bad as first thought.

Played my first medal of the season yesterday having not played a whole lot of golf at all this year.

Started with a double but was only 3 over at the turn. Dropped one at 13 before duffing into jungle off the 14th tee and taking an 8.

Went bogey, bogey, double after that with a par at the last saving buffer by way of stableford adjustment.

Was expecting nothing other than a +0.1 before I teed off so pleased that the game isn't as bad as first thought.

Good effort. Buffer zone always an OK place to be.

Our view of a round often dictated by where we screw up. 

I had a round last year where I made the buffer despite finishing with 2 triple bogeys. It was harder to feel positive that day  :lol:

Passed the Royal Troon Open course yesterday on the train and they already have the grandstands up.

Daily admission tickets are £80.

18th green reserved stand seats still available for the Friday (15 July) at £75. Is this on top of general admission £80 tickets?

http://www.theopen.com/Tickets

Yes, the £75 is in addition to the general admission. If you bought them before the end of May they were 25%ish less. I'm going on the Tuesday practice day, cost £25. Much more informal and you are allowed to take pictures, which you aren't allowed to do on the competition days.

Never been to an event and I know it will be buttons to some but £80 seems ridiculous to me. I couldn't justify paying that to watch a days golf.

It does sound expensive, but you can watch over 14 hours play on the Thursday and Friday and all the world's best players are there. Compare that to 15-20 quid for a bog standard football match.

Just got my free round of golf email from American golf.

I am playing Thornton this wednesday for the first time

I would have picked somewhere better,you can pick up a round there for £12 on tee off times.Its a decent track but if you can change it to one of the expensive ones ie Lundin links

I would have picked somewhere better,you can pick up a round there for £12 on tee off times.Its a decent track but if you can change it to one of the expensive ones ie Lundin links

Gutted.

A friend tolf me it was really good so I thought why not.

It'll be Lundie next though

I have qualified as 16th of 16 for the knockout stage of our club championship (scratch).

Have previously qualified for the handicap knockout but this is a bit of a step up.

Playing a guy who is off scratch so don`t see it ending well. :lol:

Well done, you should be proud as its still a massive accomplishment.

What course do you play on?

I need to book a tee time.

Was really surprised at some of the courses you can pick up as part of the deal!!

Passed the Royal Troon Open course yesterday on the train and they already have the grandstands up.

Daily admission tickets are £80.

18th green reserved stand seats still available for the Friday (15 July) at £75. Is this on top of general admission £80 tickets?

http://www.theopen.com/Tickets

Got a ticket for the final day as a birthday gift from the other half.

Never been to Troon before so looking forward to it although it will be a long day travelling through from Fife.

Edited by Martin Nelson

I have qualified as 16th of 16 for the knockout stage of our club championship (scratch).

Have previously qualified for the handicap knockout but this is a bit of a step up.

Playing a guy who is off scratch so don`t see it ending well. :lol:

Excellent achievement!

Enjoy the game and make the most of the experience. Everyone has off days so good luck, you never know.

I have  qualified as 16th of 16 for the knockout stage of our club championship (scratch).

Have  previously qualified for the handicap knockout but this is a bit of a step up.

Playing a guy who is off scratch so don`t see it ending well.  :lol:

Great achievement, well done! Nothing to lose, just play your own round and you never know.

Like I've said previously on this thread, I'm new to golf, only taking it up a couple of months ago but making good progress. Such a frustrating game though. Played up at Callander on Saturday afternoon (£8 on teeofftimes, bargian) and had a really good round. Didn't really keep score, my mate and I were just playing to win the holes, but really enjoyed it.

Played Lethamhill on my own yesterday, best round I've had to date, 88 strokes. Never lost a ball the whole round and just plotted my way round with nothing longer than a 4 hybrid.

Inspired me to go out this morning before work, working up in Kinross this week so went to the 9 hole course at Lochore Meadows. Absolutely horrendous, actually couldn't strike the ball, topping it, hitting the ground, everything. Sacked it after 7 holes because I was going to be late and really didn't enjoy it.

I hate golf.

Edited by gavin_3110

I have  qualified as 16th of 16 for the knockout stage of our club championship (scratch).

Have  previously qualified for the handicap knockout but this is a bit of a step up.

Playing a guy who is off scratch so don`t see it ending well.  :lol:

Played reasonably well and lost 5&4. Managed to win a couple of holes. Slightly worried it was going to be a dog licence at one stage.

Anyway well chuffed to have made it.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer