Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Maybe, he won't qualify automatically and would need to be showing some sort of form in 2 years. The 2 obvious comparisons would be Mickelson in 2018 and Westwood in 2021, which were both disastrous.

No room for sentiment on the playing side. If he isn't on song take him as VC. We were spared the sentiment picks by LIV this year, and now the #ladz are cruising about Rome on a bus drinking Peroni from the trophy. 

2 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Maybe, he won't qualify automatically and would need to be showing some sort of form in 2 years. The 2 obvious comparisons would be Mickelson in 2018 and Westwood in 2021, which were both disastrous.

His Ryder Cup record is much better than I initially thought. He's probably gone under the radar in the last 15 years as the team has been successful, Poulter always got the headlines and the superstars like Rahm and McIlroy get the attention. Rightly or wrongly he'll get a legacy pick in 2 years as long as he's playing at a reasonable level.

That said, the narrative this week about him 'mentoring/guiding/taking under the wing' of MacIntyre was way over the top and a lot of condescending rubbish. I'm sure that narrative is also why he got the Nicklaus-Jacklin Award.

You could just as easily argue that had MacIntyre had a different partner he'd have been more comfortable early on and not taken 27 holes or so to really find his feet. People seem to simultaneously be saying that Rose was a great mentor, but also that Bob didn't play well Friday and Saturday, I don't see how both can be true. None of the other rookies seemed to get patronised as much, despite achieving less points. Was really pleased for him to get a point today on his own to show that he didn't need his hand held like some were suggesting.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

His Ryder Cup record is much better than I initially thought. He's probably gone under the radar in the last 15 years as the team has been successful, Poulter always got the headlines and the superstars like Rahm and McIlroy get the attention. Rightly or wrongly he'll get a legacy pick in 2 years as long as he's playing at a reasonable level.

That said, the narrative this week about him 'mentoring/guiding/taking under the wing' of MacIntyre was way over the top and a lot of condescending rubbish. I'm sure that narrative is also why he got the Nicklaus-Jacklin Award.

You could just as easily argue that had MacIntyre had a different partner he'd have been more comfortable early on and not taken 27 holes or so to really find his feet. People seem to simultaneously be saying that Rose was a great mentor, but also that Bob didn't play well Friday and Saturday, I don't see how both can be true. None of the other rookies seemed to get patronised as much, despite achieving less points. Was really pleased for him to get a point today on his own to show that he didn't need his hand held like some were suggesting.

Was it bob not playing well or just the other 3 in the fourballs being slightly better? Think people were slightly harsh on him, at times he wasnt the best but no one was, 

Like you said he made his contribution with or without rose's guidance, and was good to see him finish his singles with a win

I imagined that they were paired together because he can play but in the drastic event that it gets to him, rose would be there to potentially still win the match for europe, but he played well enough to get a match in day two again so clearly Donald thought he had done welly enough on day 1

1 hour ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

The captain succession has been totally thrown up in the air due to LIV. There's no real obvious candidate atm.

Poulter, Westwood and GMac would all have been in the running for captain for the next few Ryder Cups, but have no chance now.

Player power could be a factor, if enough of the senior players want Donald to stay on and can persuade him to do it.

19 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think that auld hag Laura Davies mentioned it every time Rose appeared on screen. Nauseating stuff. Bob doesn’t need anyone holding his hand as he more than proved today and if anything I thought he won that tie for Europe on the back 9 yesterday.

I'm sure one of the things the Yanks will look at is their choices of vice captains. They touched on it on commentary that they all play on the Champions Tour so have very little rapport with the players. On the European side all the vice captains and Donald himself have all played with most of the team this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/oct/01/we-were-united-by-a-culture-how-luke-donald-led-europe-to-glory

"Those scenes of delirium and joy, however, were among the few unscripted moments in Europe’s preparations for this Ryder Cup. For this was a triumph months in the making. And one where Donald got the ABCs – analytics, banter and a culture that everyone bought into – spot on. “This wasn’t about revenge,” McIlroy said. “This was about redemption and showing what we could do.”

From the very start Donald urged his players to put the team first, stressed the importance of a fast start so the crowd got involved, and to think of the bigger picture. That was reinforced earlier in the week when each player was given a two‑minute motivational video made by their family members."

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

This x 1000. MacIntyre confirmed today that he belonged in this company. Get it RIGHT UP all the Yanks on golf Twitter who were mocking him all week. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This is all over Twitter, and has really fucked me off. Lowry having a go at a steward for literally doing his job is out of order. These guys are volunteers, and his timing for asking people to keep still seemed bang on to me. I’ve had this image of Lowry as a happy go lucky chap - this just says utter p***k. 

Does anyone have the approximate scores for the singles in relation to par, believe Hatton was 6 under allowing for concessions etc but haven't seen them anywhere else?

Rose made a decent point that Europe are using analytics quite a lot for pairings whereas the Yanks are still picking their mates. Burns record outside of the USA (and even then its limited to a specific area) is garbage but he got picked as Schefflers pal. 

Hard to suggest who the next captain will be as might well depend on whether the LIV guys are reconciled. Everyone and their dog knows it's going to be a bear pit, part of me would love to see Sergio running about making obscene gestures at the home crowd. 

10 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He out played a major champion, he was undefeated, won his singles match, won his way into the team too. I feel the media narrative pushed on him was xenophobic, i justify this with Fitzpatrick having played at 3 ryder cups and having scored 1 point the whole time, getting far better media treatment, none of the condascending pish that Bob got. He got his head down, worked away, had a couple nervous moments but f**k me hes playing in arguably the biggest stage in golf with generational talents and Faldo and the rest are talking about him like hes some kind of make a wish kid. Macintyre is a young extremely talented player, who i believe will win a major or unofficial major type event in his career, he grinds, hes not a flair player but he gets it done.