Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

For my Christmas, my brother in law and I have been given a weekend away at Easter to go and play Valderrama. 

Superb.

It's an absolutely incredible experience, from the moment you drive up to the gatehouse. Enjoy every second, you lucky b*****d

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I see yer LIV golf generated less than $100M last year. They averaged less than half a million viewers for a tournament. 

Growing the game.

Just as well they have a seemingly bottomless pit of money to throw at it, it's just a nonsensical business model.

What are we all looking forward to or aiming to achieve this golfing year?

For me, it's getting more golf (had back trouble last year and barely played after June), and maybe turning around the slow increase in my handicap (drifted up to 11.1, would love to get back to 9 or lower if I can get the golf in).

Would also love to get a ticket to watch the Open at Troon, but no idea how likely that is. Boo to the advance ballot and to the R&A in general.

5 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Handicap has gone from 5 up to 9 over the last two seasons, all down to my putting dropping off a cliff. Target for the year is to get back to around 7. This will involve loads of putting practice inside 6ft. 

16 hours ago, Smithers Jones said:

Handicap has gone from 5 up to 9 over the last two seasons, all down to my putting dropping off a cliff. Target for the year is to get back to around 7. This will involve loads of putting practice inside 6ft. 

Good luck - practice is obviously the way to go if you have the time. I know it's the workman and not the tool but do you switch putters much? I find that can help if you're having a bad spell on the greens, especially going from blade to mallet or vice versa.  And a properly fit putter makes a difference too.

I am the opposite from you in general - driving is my big issue and can be wild; my good scores are on days I keep it in play.  Chipping and putting are generally what rescue me!

21 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Be very happy to have another year like last year. Started with a handicap index of 6.4. 
It went up to 7.8 with a load of good scores leaving my 20 most recent early in the season. Managed to get it down to an all time low of 5.0 by the end of August. Finished the season at 5.5. 
Two key things for me. I play a lot of golf and plan to continue to do so plus over the last 2 seasons I’ve worked hard on my short game which has been a big benefit. 

Started last season at 9.0 and finished at 8.6 - very happy with that as early season form suggested that I would be up around 11 or 12. Was determined to win something last season and very pleased to have won our order of merit (although thats more than likely down to playing in vast majority of medals)  Didnt want a repeat of the previous season where I ended up handing out the trophies at our prizegiving night.

I never play through the winter and suspect the clubs won't come out of the cupboard until the first medal at the beginning of April. Would love to win a match-play competition this coming season but thats a long shot.

Will target getting down to my lowest ever handicap - got to 6.8 a couple seasons ago (although never even noticed until a few months later - thought I was 6.9) Reasonably confident of achieving this as I have new driver (second hand but new to me) which eradicated a slice i had developed earlier in the season.  My short game has always been decent  - chipping seems to get better the more I play (and living on my course I will play 5 or 6 times a week)

I have spent a fair bit of this week entering or enquiring about Opens - wouldnt mind a decent win in one of those - a couple third places last year.  Unfortunately Monifieth no longer seem to have an Open in August - always loved that one as the course seems to suit my game - nothing will top winning the handicap section about 4 years ago after swimming to the course from Fife (yes you read that correctly)

On 05/01/2024 at 13:23, VictorOnopko said:

For me, it's getting more golf (had back trouble last year and barely played after June), and maybe turning around the slow increase in my handicap (drifted up to 11.1, would love to get back to 9 or lower if I can get the golf in).

Would also love to get a ticket to watch the Open at Troon, but no idea how likely that is. Boo to the advance ballot and to the R&A in general.

Aim overall is to break 80 for the first time and repeat it. Ive been grafting all winter and seem to be improving, my winter iron and driving distances have been pretty decent so hoping il see an improvement in the better weather. I need to get better with my 5/6 iron as its 175-200 yards where im letting myself down, short game is pretty decent. Ordered a new (second hand but new for me) Titleist tsi2 driver from auchterlonies to match the 3 wood i bought last month (which i love), so hoping to love that just as much. 

16 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Aim overall is to break 80 for the first time and repeat it. Ive been grafting all winter and seem to be improving, my winter iron and driving distances have been pretty decent so hoping il see an improvement in the better weather. I need to get better with my 5/6 iron as its 175-200 yards where im letting myself down, short game is pretty decent. Ordered a new (second hand but new for me) Titleist tsi2 driver from auchterlonies to match the 3 wood i bought last month (which i love), so hoping to love that just as much. 

That is perhaps where you are struggling........dont know anything about your game but perhaps you need more club for those shots - vast majority of amateurs dont get the distance that they believe they do.  Not trying to force a 6 iron 175 yards and hitting a smooth 5 iron may help.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

That is perhaps where you are struggling........dont know anything about your game but perhaps you need more club for those shots - vast majority of amateurs dont get the distance that they believe they do.  Not trying to force a 6 iron 175 yards and hitting a smooth 5 iron may help.

I think its more my contact/compression on longer irons is rotten, i hit a 4 hybrid 210, 3 wood 220-230 off the deck, my 7 iron is 155 so its reasonable to say i should be able to hit a 6 170, i dont try and murder the ball anyway, all about the ernie els big easy swing. I do try and club up where i can, but that sorta 30/40 yard gap is a killer especially as my home course is quite long, Ive always struggled with longer irons off the fairway, so doing what i can to improve them. 

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think its more my contact/compression on longer irons is rotten, i hit a 4 hybrid 210, 3 wood 220-230 off the deck, my 7 iron is 155 so its reasonable to say i should be able to hit a 6 170, i dont try and murder the ball anyway, all about the ernie els big easy swing. I do try and club up where i can, but that sorta 30/40 yard gap is a killer especially as my home course is quite long, Ive always struggled with longer irons off the fairway, so doing what i can to improve them. 

Try tweaking about with your loft and lyes if you haven't had them looked at for a while 

On 05/01/2024 at 13:23, VictorOnopko said:

I managed to get down to an all-time low of 4.9 at the beginning of August, but major surgery meant I didn't swing a club again last year until the morning of my wedding in late October - I'd be delighted if I managed to stick around 5 this season (Category 1 in old money still sounds good to me! 😁), but I'd probably accept holding on to 6.0 or thereabouts as I reckon I've lost at least 15 yards off the tee.

I've never been a practiser as I get bored too easily if there's nothing on the line (even if it's just playing for a quid with my mates), but I do need to sort out accuracy from 150-yards in. My long and short games are pretty solid, but I reckon I miss more greens with an 8- or 9-iron than I do with a fairway wood or hybrid, which is just ridiculous, so I should maybe get myself sorted with a lesson at some stage (it might sound weird to say, but I've been playing golf for 45 years and have never had a lesson from a qualified pro - just my dad when I was learning the game).

I got down to a 9.2 with the last card I handed in last year. Obvious goal to keep it under 10 moving forward. To do so I need to improve from 20-100 yards. Really poor from those distances. My putting from inside 3 foot is very spotty too although I make a lot more than most from outside 8 foot though. Frustrating but that's the game