Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 hours ago, FifeArab said:

Tiger and Nike parting ways after 27 years.

$500 million in sponsorship deals. Billions in revenue generated. 

Gotta of been in the top 5 most famous sponsorship deals in history.

Top 2, I’d say. Up there with only Nike x Jordan, imo. 

I'm going to have to learn a new swing after the surgery last year and the fact that I have lost nearly 50lbs (27kg) so I'm an entirely different "shape".

Should be fun!

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Bob starts his PGA Tour season this evening in Hawaii, teeing off at 6.50pm. A few of the big boys are playing in Dubai this weekend where Rory leads by 1. 

54 year old Ken Weyand is also in the field in Dubai, playing on a sponsor's invite. Apparently he is the CEO of the club in Florida where Michael Jordan plays. He was 10 shots worse than everyone else.

Screenshot_20240111_134718_DP World Tour.jpg

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

54 year old Ken Weyand is also in the field in Dubai, playing on a sponsor's invite. Apparently he is the CEO of the club in Florida where Michael Jordan plays. He was 10 shots worse than everyone else.

Screenshot_20240111_134718_DP World Tour.jpg

Eddie Peps caddie given him stick about being a waste of an invite ,whilst I agree he needs to remember where the prize cash comes from so a wee invite here and there does no harm 

13 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Eddie Peps caddie given him stick about being a waste of an invite ,whilst I agree he needs to remember where the prize cash comes from so a wee invite here and there does no harm 

I can't agree. This is a professional sport, handing out invites to rich folk with egos instead of actual golfers is pish.

16 hours ago, doulikefish said:

There's no guarantee Eddie Pepperell would have done any better tbf

19 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Nah that is why they have Pro-ams at these tour events. he is now 27 over in an event that doesnt have a cut - suspect he could be around 60 over by Sunday afternoon.  Ok, he is bringing in sponsorship money but as I say they have pro-am events to "reward" sponsors.  He is going to be playing with a couple of pros over the weekend who are probably going through the motions and canna wait for the event to be over.

As I wrote I agree but the big picture is sponsors are pulling out so if this gets more wonga in it's short term pain for long term gain and hopefully the boy has learned he isn't good enough 

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Boab makes the cut in Hawaii with a -4 2nd round to see him at -3 after a +1 first round when he went out in the windiest conditions 

It's stating the obvious, but it's important he makes a few early cuts and picks up some points. Hopefully he can push for a top 30 finish. 

23 hours ago, doulikefish said:

As I wrote I agree but the big picture is sponsors are pulling out so if this gets more wonga in it's short term pain for long term gain and hopefully the boy has learned he isn't good enough 

I didnt realise, when responding to this on Friday, that this event involves amateurs as well as pros (hence the field of 60 pros) That makes the inclusion of Ken Weyand even more ridiculous. Did he also have an amateur playing alongside him?  He is now 38 over par

I don't expect the american coverage to give much of a monkeys about Bob because why would they, but has he been on the coverage at all? I've only seen bits and bobs over the few days but not seen him yet 

On 12/01/2024 at 13:26, Caledonian1 said:

suspect he could be around 60 over by Sunday afternoon. 

He finished on 53 over, a mammoth 39 shots worse off than Jens Dantorp in 59th place. If people want the DP World Tour to be taken more seriously then they’d do well to bin off pish like this pronto. 

44 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He finished on 53 over, a mammoth 39 shots worse off than Jens Dantorp in 59th place. If people want the DP World Tour to be taken more seriously then they’d do well to bin off pish like this pronto. 

Totally agree. 

14 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

I don't expect the american coverage to give much of a monkeys about Bob because why would they, but has he been on the coverage at all? I've only seen bits and bobs over the few days but not seen him yet 

I've made a point of having it at times while Bob was playing and haven't heard him mentioned once never mind see him hit a shot. You could say the same for about 3/4s of the field though.