Golfers Thread

Gaz

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Saw Tiger on 12 earlier, hitting the ball well but still walking like a cripple. He'll be gubbed on Thursday if the weather is as bad as forecast.

Stewart Cink, Dan Bradbury and Simo Valamaki added to the good guys who signed everything list. 

My wife and I are going on Wednesday and she’s a newbie to the golf so wants to get her flag signed etc. Noticed the autograph area is for kids, so what’s the best way to get some players? Just linger by the greens and hope they come over? 

5 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

My wife and I are going on Wednesday and she’s a newbie to the golf so wants to get her flag signed etc. Noticed the autograph area is for kids, so what’s the best way to get some players? Just linger by the greens and hope they come over? 

Yep, if you can get a spot where the players are passing from green to tee, the spot next to the 17th green as they head to the 18th tee seemed to be quite successful.

If you go up the left grandstand side of the 18th you will get them all coming off - some of the players yesterday were saying to anyone asking they would sign there at the end of their rounds and they would chucks balls / gloves / tees etc into the crowd which was small enough considering.

In terms of a good vantage point, I enjoyed sitting just behind the 9th green for a bit  yesterday, was in the shade which was much needed and you get the approaches into the 9th and then them twatting blind drives off the 10th tee.

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Yep, if you can get a spot where the players are passing from green to tee, the spot next to the 17th green as they head to the 18th tee seemed to be quite successful.

I was going to say the same, mainly because the 17th is an absolute brute of a par 3 so should be quite entertaining, and the Postage Stamp stands will probably have longer queues. I'm going on Thursday so haven't seen where the stands are yet but I love the 7th, great par 4, so if that also gets you a view of the PS then I'd sit at the 7th green.

Heading down tomorrow and Friday.

Will probably pick a spot tomorrow and hang about, then go to the range, although Tiger currently on the tee sheet for 750am so my initial “leisurely drive down” plan has altered!

Friday will be a “follow the group” day, ideal scenario is Bob, Tiger and Spieth all out together or well split up!

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

If you go up the left grandstand side of the 18th you will get them all coming off - some of the players yesterday were saying to anyone asking they would sign there at the end of their rounds and they would chucks balls / gloves / tees etc into the crowd which was small enough considering.

In terms of a good vantage point, I enjoyed sitting just behind the 9th green for a bit  yesterday, was in the shade which was much needed and you get the approaches into the 9th and then them twatting blind drives off the 10th tee.

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

I was going to say the same, mainly because the 17th is an absolute brute of a par 3 so should be quite entertaining, and the Postage Stamp stands will probably have longer queues. I'm going on Thursday so haven't seen where the stands are yet but I love the 7th, great par 4, so if that also gets you a view of the PS then I'd sit at the 7th green.

12 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Will probably pick a spot tomorrow and hang about, then go to the range, although Tiger currently on the tee sheet for 750am so my initial “leisurely drive down” plan has altered!

Friday will be a “follow the group” day, ideal scenario is Bob, Tiger and Spieth all out together or well split up!

I am green with envy at you guys going to Troon. I had plans to go to Renaissance last week and Troon on Thurs / Fri this week but thanks to events outwith my control, my mother has come to stay with us, the wife is in S.America and I am basically housebound with my 91 y.o. parent.

Sky Sports it is...😬

'Mon Boab !!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

As always with The Open, the draw will make a huge difference, late Thursday and early Friday looks best to avoid the rain.

Bob off at 9.36 on Thursday with Rahm and Fleetwood, and 14.37 on Friday.

16 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I am green with envy at you guys going to Troon. I had plans to go to Renaissance last week and Troon on Thurs / Fri this week but thanks to events outwith my control, my mother has come to stay with us, the wife is in S.America and I am basically housebound with my 91 y.o. parent.

Sky Sports it is...😬

'Mon Boab !!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Brutal - at least you can enjoy the wall to wall coverage on Sky; weather forecast isn't great (still glad I'm going tho!).

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

As always with The Open, the draw will make a huge difference, late Thursday and early Friday looks best to avoid the rain.

Bob off at 9.36 on Thursday with Rahm and Fleetwood, and 14.37 on Friday.

Not great - but he is a good bad-weather golfer. Just needs to do a Lowry@Portrush and shoot low scores regardless. From what I can see the weather looks fairly consistent both days?

37 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The published times for Monday practice bore little resemblance to what actually happened. There were lots of players out who didn't even show on the app and others who had times on the app who went out at completely different times, including Woods. 

4 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Brutal - at least you can enjoy the wall to wall coverage on Sky; weather forecast isn't great (still glad I'm going tho!).

Not great - but he is a good bad-weather golfer. Just needs to do a Lowry@Portrush and shoot low scores regardless. From what I can see the weather looks fairly consistent both days?

BBC has it dry from about 3pm on Thursday and up till lunchtime on Friday. Breeze between 6 and 13 mph both days.

It was very noticeable yesterday how much cooler it got when the sun disappeared and the breeze picked up.

Edited by peasy23

42 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

BBC has it dry from about 3pm on Thursday and up till lunchtime on Friday. Breeze between 6 and 13 mph both days.

It was very noticeable yesterday how much cooler it got when the sun disappeared and the breeze picked up.

Sitting in the grandstand at the first tee for an hour or so in the early afternoon was frigid. But as soon as you went down from that and past the 18th GS it was noticeably more pleasant. 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

The published times for Monday practice bore little resemblance to what actually happened. There were lots of players out who didn't even show on the app and others who had times on the app who went out at completely different times, including Woods. 

Yeah, I'm aware that tends to be the case, but I'm heading down for the day early anyway so might as well take the gamble.

TBF, at St Andrews on the Wednesday, the app wasn't too far off

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah, I'm aware that tends to be the case, but I'm heading down for the day early anyway so might as well take the gamble.

TBF, at St Andrews on the Wednesday, the app wasn't too far off

Think it's more accurate closer to tourney time as they know the crowds will be bigger and it helps them plan crowd control. Going by yesterday, if you see a couple of coppers wandering around Tiger won't be far away.

15 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

My general plan I think (never been to any pro event before) is to find a decent vantage point on a tee to watch them absolutely thundercunting drives for a bit, then maybe a greenside at a par 3 for a while, then maybe just wander round. I also plan to get full of the ale

17th green or perching at the 17th tee will get you a view down 18th tee too. 
Son got a few signatures on 12th green, was good because you also saw the 13th tee. Was amazing seeing tiger hitting shots, my son shouted ‘roll tide’ to Justin Thomas and got a fist bump, only fan he engaged with on the course, which was cool. If you’re going and want autographs we learned how to ask in japanese and its a good idea to figure out what college the yank ones went to and have a bit of banter. Tommy Morrison one of the leading amateurs was a complete gent and a texas man. 

IMG_4174.jpeg

IMG_4171.jpeg

IMG_4162.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

17th green or perching at the 17th tee will get you a view down 18th tee too. 
Son got a few signatures on 12th green, was good because you also saw the 13th tee. Was amazing seeing tiger hitting shots, my son shouted ‘roll tide’ to Justin Thomas and got a fist bump, only fan he engaged with on the course, which was cool. If you’re going and want autographs we learned how to ask in japanese and its a good idea to figure out what college the yank ones went to and have a bit of banter. Tommy Morrison one of the leading amateurs was a complete gent and a texas man. 

IMG_4174.jpeg

IMG_4171.jpeg

IMG_4162.jpeg

Tommy Morrison is fucking huge. Was towering over everyone else. 

Did you follow Woods, Thomas and Homa all the way to the end? Spoke to one of the marshalls on 18 who said Thomas drove it into the bunker, had to come out sideways, then twatted it into the grandstand. 

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Think it's more accurate closer to tourney time as they know the crowds will be bigger and it helps them plan crowd control. Going by yesterday, if you see a couple of coppers wandering around Tiger won't be far away.

Easiest way to spot tiger is look for the crowd 🤣

Bit jealous of all those that have been or are going as didn't plan to go this year.......will be on the website looking for tickets for the Sunday at some point as soon as it's starts 🤣

Edited by doulikefish

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Tommy Morrison is fucking huge. Was towering over everyone else. 

Did you follow Woods, Thomas and Homa all the way to the end? Spoke to one of the marshalls on 18 who said Thomas drove it into the bunker, had to come out sideways, then twatted it into the grandstand. 

Nah the post nightshift exhaustion was real so we followed for a few holes and then went and sat at 17, watched him come back through and went a wee walk around the spectator village, got a couple free golf lessons and then checked out the practice range, got shouted at by G4S because my son wanted autographs but being a very young child didnt want to stand in the area alone (so i stood right back along with another few parents). Some wee gremlin came out shouting about ‘kids only’ so that frightened him and he wanted to leave. Was a wee shame as hes said he doesnt want to go back to a golf tournament now. 

51 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Nah the post nightshift exhaustion was real so we followed for a few holes and then went and sat at 17, watched him come back through and went a wee walk around the spectator village, got a couple free golf lessons and then checked out the practice range, got shouted at by G4S because my son wanted autographs but being a very young child didnt want to stand in the area alone (so i stood right back along with another few parents). Some wee gremlin came out shouting about ‘kids only’ so that frightened him and he wanted to leave. Was a wee shame as hes said he doesnt want to go back to a golf tournament now. 

f**k G4S. Dicks who were bullied at school who now think it’s ok to throw there “authority” about