Golfers Thread

Gaz

Quite enjoyed watching an hour or two of the senior open this pm, and the Solheim Cup should be good too.

But the Open being the last men's major in July, and all of a sudden it's a countdown to April for the next Masters is bleak. Dreadful scheduling by the Yanks running the game (the end of year play offs are made-up nonsense).

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

Quite enjoyed watching an hour or two of the senior open this pm, and the Solheim Cup should be good too.

But the Open being the last men's major in July, and all of a sudden it's a countdown to April for the next Masters is bleak. Dreadful scheduling by the Yanks running the game (the end of year play offs are made-up nonsense).

On the upside, it gives Rory time to exorcise his Pinehurst & Troon demons, to get divorced and to find a new bagman. 😎

I organise a golf weekend for a group of around 12-18 of us every year.  This has been on the go for I think 38 years now so well established and keen to keep it going.  Typically we go to the likes of Inverness or Dundee but next year looking at venturing to the deep south.....potentially looking at the Ayrshire coast (inspired by the Open perhaps) We typically book a "better" course on the Friday as easier to get on a week day and an easier shorter course on the Saturday.  Always looking for value for money we now dont even consider the likes of Fairmont St Andrews as prices have gone through the roof in last couple of years. Would be great to get a decent links on the Friday for around £70 or £80 and a smaller course for £40-£50 on the Saturday.  Does anyone have good recomendations that I can follow up (on accommodation too)

2 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I organise a golf weekend for a group of around 12-18 of us every year.  This has been on the go for I think 38 years now so well established and keen to keep it going.  Typically we go to the likes of Inverness or Dundee but next year looking at venturing to the deep south.....potentially looking at the Ayrshire coast (inspired by the Open perhaps) We typically book a "better" course on the Friday as easier to get on a week day and an easier shorter course on the Saturday.  Always looking for value for money we now dont even consider the likes of Fairmont St Andrews as prices have gone through the roof in last couple of years. Would be great to get a decent links on the Friday for around £70 or £80 and a smaller course for £40-£50 on the Saturday.  Does anyone have good recomendations that I can follow up (on accommodation too)

West Kilbride is an excellent, very playable links for about £75 with great views of Arran.  The Troon municipals are also very good value - J. Nicklaus qualified for his first Open at Lochgreen.  Parkland option - Largs is, as always, in brilliant nick and is a good course.

Edited by VictorOnopko

PTTGOYN thread for this pish, but recently I've noticed quite a few courses replacing the wee metal pots for broken tees with plastic ones.

I've had had rounds in the very recent past where the only satisfying thing was the delightful "ting" noise after chucking an old tee in there. Now they are even taking that away from me :(

14 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is there any way of watching this olympic golf? I just assumed it would be on Iplayer.

Discovery+

The BBC are restricted to two concurrent channels, so they’ll likely only dip in and out when there’s little else on. 

Edited by The Master

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is there any way of watching this olympic golf? I just assumed it would be on Iplayer.

£3.99 for Discovery+, watch the whole thing.  Very unlikely that the BBC will show more than an hour or so on Sunday given they have strict limits on live coverage across the games, and in general that they f*cking hate golf, to the extent that they gave the Open away a year early. And if they do go go it, there's a risk 50% of the airtime will be Clare Balding wittering in the studio and someone interviewing a GB player about their emotional backstory.

Olympic Golf being stroke play is daft to me, make it some form of match play, preferably foursomes and just play it over the weekend. We’ve got a million stroke play tournaments over the season, this one just has a smaller field and has medals instead of trophies. 

Yeah should definitely be some form of team event.

I'd go for the old Dunhill cup format from the 90s with teams of 3 but with match play instead of stroke play, play off if level after 18.

Picked a totally random example of the format below for those too young to remember.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Dunhill_Cup

You could be as weird as you want though, play a 4 man Texas Scramble or something and see if they can break 55*.

*hours for a round

41 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Olympic Golf being stroke play is daft to me, make it some form of match play, preferably foursomes and just play it over the weekend. We’ve got a million stroke play tournaments over the season, this one just has a smaller field and has medals instead of trophies. 

Have seen a few shouts today for a mixed foursomes. That would be f**king brilliant tbh

53 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

2 rounds strokeplay then top 16 go into straight knockout matchplay for me.

They should also have some sort of mixed team event. 

Does anyone feel like it's impossible to get all aspects of your game going at one time? I've always been fairly consistent off the tee, not long but pretty much always in play and I've always let myself down around the greens. Made it my goal to improve my short game this year and I've really made huge improvements (Dan Grieve btw, his videos have transformed how I think about short game), I'm getting up and down from places I never used to and feel confident I'll get down in 2 if I'm putting. Only now my driving has deserted me. Played today in the medal and had two 9s on the scorecard, alongside two 7s, with 3 of those scores on the back 9, all caused by lost balls from the tee or putting it in deep shit. I now stand on the tee not knowing where it will go but everything inside 20 yards I feel like Seve. Make it make sense. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Does anyone feel like it's impossible to get all aspects of your game going at one time? . Make it make sense. 

It’s golf 
Best way to describe it is to say I love my golf and just very occasionally she loves me back. She’s a fickle mistress though. 

On 03/08/2024 at 21:14, The Moonster said:

Does anyone feel like it's impossible to get all aspects of your game going at one time? I've always been fairly consistent off the tee, not long but pretty much always in play and I've always let myself down around the greens. Made it my goal to improve my short game this year and I've really made huge improvements (Dan Grieve btw, his videos have transformed how I think about short game), I'm getting up and down from places I never used to and feel confident I'll get down in 2 if I'm putting. Only now my driving has deserted me. Played today in the medal and had two 9s on the scorecard, alongside two 7s, with 3 of those scores on the back 9, all caused by lost balls from the tee or putting it in deep shit. I now stand on the tee not knowing where it will go but everything inside 20 yards I feel like Seve. Make it make sense. 

Can also heartily recommend Dan Grieve,  my short game was a shambles and I was regularly taking 3 and 4 to get down from greenside. Watched his 3 Releases video a few weeks back, spent 90 minutes at our practice area, and since then for the first time in ages I've actually felt like I know what I am trying to do when I'm standing over a chip.

Also had an epiphany with the driver after watching Thriston Lawrence at The Open with a 3 wood shaft in his. Read a couple of articles online about the benefit of high handicappers using a shorter shaft.  Started just gripping a couple of inches down and since then I've been finding the middle of the club face much more often, with no noticeable loss in distance.