Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just noticed that Martin Laird managed to get a top 10 finish on the US tour this week to top off a very decent week for Scottish golfers.
Decent finish, but a much poorer field than normal as all the big guns are over here, but tbf to him it's his 3rd top 10 of the year. He's currently 123rd in the FedEx standings, with only 2 more tourneys to go. Top 125 qualify for the FedEx playoffs and keep their card for next year.

MacIntyre jumps 46 places in the official golf world rankings up to 102nd place.

I continue to have an unpredictable season. I've twice this season gone up from 9 to 10. 

Should be back down to 9 again after 38 stableford points today. 15 points out and then played the back 9 in level par for 23 points. Two birdies, 2 bogies and 5 pars. [emoji1]

9.6 before today.

Irritatingly on a day of good scores my 38 points was only worth a 0.2 reduction so while I’m back down to 9 (9.4), given my yo-yo season thus far I’ll almost certainly be back up to 10 again soon [emoji45]

4 hours ago, cas79 said:
13 hours ago, peasy23 said:
Played 15 holes tonight, fucking roasting.

I played 4 and gave up heat was just to much for me, ball was traveling miles tho

A few years ago on holiday in Colorado, I played a couple of rounds out there. I hired a set of Nike irons and woods from the pro's shop,and they were just amazing. Ball seemed to be going about twice as far as I was used to. My playing companions were at pains to point out that Colorado is generally known as the mile high state, and that golf balls fly much further through the thinner air.

I wasn't having that though, I was convinced that these clubs must have been made with me in mind - they just felt so good and worked so well for me. I ended up buying them and shipping them home at a considerable cost.

Unfortunately when I tried them out at Nairn Golf Club, where I was a member, they turned out to be just as bad as the clubs I already had.

Seems they only worked in Colorado.

:(

21 hours ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

I

Yardages go out the window when its downwind, or hard and running.   I played Leven Links last week and drove the first 3 greens (holes around 360-400) yards.   Then hitting a 5 iron to a 140 yard par 3. 

Links golf after a dry spell is fucking mental at times. I played Monifieth Medal in a 36 hole open many years ago, it had been used as an Open qualifier for Carnoustie a few weeks earlier and was properly tricked up. The rough was brutal and the course bone hard after a week of dryish weather. I had to hit two absolute full out 4 irons to the 8th (a 290ish yard par 4) into a ridiculous headwind then a drive-wedge through the back of the 9th (a 530ish yard par 5) in the other direction. I scored 3-6 😂 The course was ridiculous that day though, there were boys off 0, +1 etc shooting into the 90s. 

Played a round at Stonehaven the other week with a couple of pals and after a sticky start got into things again. Some of the holes are really challenging despite their short distance. Greens are very small and some blind approaches to others make it difficult for a relative newbie like me. Plus the added bonus of trying to blooter a ball over a cliff face to a couple of holes got to me and I sent a few balls down into the North Sea :lol: 

Got a round planned at Craigmillar Park next week and going to try tuhe King James course in Perth after that as well hopefully.

Tom Watson has announced that tomorrow's final round of the Senior Open at Lytham will be his final competitive round on British soil. A class act, hung out to dry by his shite team at the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles. His Open wins in 82 and 83 are the first I can really remember.

And f**k you Stewart Cink, damn you to hell.tom-watson-1982-british-open-58bf09313df78c353c33376b.jpeg

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." - Bobby Jones

Nobody embodies that more than Rory McIlroy at the moment. When he is "on it" there is nobody better, he's just fired a 62 at the WGC event in Memphis. Contrast that with his first round last week where his head seemed to be completely scrambled.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." - Bobby Jones

Nobody embodies that more than Rory McIlroy at the moment. When he is "on it" there is nobody better, he's just fired a 62 at the WGC event in Memphis. Contrast that with his first round last week where his head seemed to be completely scrambled.

You didn't see me in the medal this morning.

McIlroy was +3 at one point in the back nine of his first round as well. Great scoring since then.

McIlroy was +3 at one point in the back nine of his first round as well. Great scoring since then.
Saw a tweet that said his last 17 rounds averaged 67.2 strokes, including last week's 79.

Martin Laird is currently tied 10th in the PGA tourney in Reno which is a modified stableford scoring system. Doing his chances of keeping his card for next year no harm at all.

Got right back into the golf this year. Haven’t got round to picking up at a handicap but would be mid to high 20’s. Relatively steady with not too many duffed irons but lose a lot of balls right off the tees. Have ordered a new driver off golfbidder which will hopefully help

Langer wins the Senior British Open, but for all that he had a brilliant final round, if this isn't anchoring the putter then God knows what is.

At the WGC event in Memphis, Rory's 1 shot lead has turned into a 2 shot deficit after 9 holes as he is level par for the day and stays on -12, but Koepka has 3 birdies to move to -14.