Golfers Thread

Gaz

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Il happily play a few rounds with you if you can sign me on the Buddon or burnside

Aye if you want, the Buddon actually closes three weeks today for 15 months.  Real shame. They are digging half of it up to lay like three hydro electric cables each 10m wide. Compulsory purchase order so they had no choice. But if you fancy a game I can sign you on any time.

Aye if you want, the Buddon actually closes three weeks today for 15 months.  Real shame. They are digging half of it up to lay like three hydro electric cables each 10m wide. Compulsory purchase order so they had no choice. But if you fancy a game I can sign you on any time.

If that's an open invitation count me me in too,
How much are the memberships for there

Scottie Scheffler and Sam Horsefield our of the US Open this week after testing positive for Covid

Three Scots in the field
Bob MacIntyre
Connor Syme
Sandy Scott who I haven’t heard much about but seems to be highly regarded amateur who is from Nairn and has done the College golf thing in USA. Good luck to them.

Bounce game today. Played really well. Round in 76 (5 over). Beat my mate 3&2. Great front 9 to be one over par at the turn with 6 pars, 2 bogeys and a lovely birdie 3 on the 8th. Back in 40 which is four over. Pleased
Playing in a Stableford comp tomorrow. Fully expecting to struggle[emoji23]

9 hours ago, cas79 said:

If that's an open invitation count me me in too,
How much are the memberships for there

Aye if you want.  As long as neither of you are nutcases why not.  Its actually really cheap, but you have to live here.  I don't even know what I pay tbh, 492 or something like that.  It was named, after St Andrews, 2nd best value for money golf membership in the world.  Which is has to be tbf, 3 courses for that unlimited play. 

And the big course is maybe the best course in the world, its certainly right up there. I've met many many many people who have played all the world's top courses and maybe 90% of them say Carnoustie is the best they've ever played. Its magnificent, an absolute masterpiece, but hard as f**k. 

I was speaking to a European tour caddie a couple of years ago and asked him has he done all the majors, yes he has, said what's Augusta like he said 'honestly mate its not a patch on Carnoustie, Augusta is just a putting contest, you put it in the right spot on the greens then whoever putts best wins.' 

Carnoustie was voted world's best course lasty ear actually but there's lots of different awards not one definitive one, can't remember who this one was.  

St Andrews btw they pay 220 quid for 7 courses.  Literally the best membership deal on earth.  Its just a token fee, they have too much money over there anyway but they have to charge something. 

And when I say they have too much money I'm not joking, they are a public course and a registered charity, so can only hold so much money in the bank at any one time, and regularly have a problem that they just have too much. 

That's why they built the Castle Course, no word of a lie, they just had too much money so had to spend it somehow.

That's the draw for the US Open out.

Winged Foot is infamous for its US Open set up and this year looks like it'll be no different - the head green keeper has said that they have been setting up for a winning score around +8.

Johnson and Rahm must be heavy favourites based on form and the likes of Schauffele played well at the Tour Championship but I wouldn't like to predict a winner. 

What I will predict is endless references to 2006 and Monty and Mickelson's woes at the 72nd hole. 

12 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Winged Foot is infamous for its US Open set up and this year looks like it'll be no different - the head green keeper has said that they have been setting up for a winning score around +8.

Johnson and Rahm must be heavy favourites based on form and the likes of Schauffele played well at the Tour Championship but I wouldn't like to predict a winner. 

What I will predict is endless references to 2006 and Monty and Mickelson's woes at the 72nd hole. 

You know if Mickelson won that that would have been three majors in a row for him.  Could have changed his career and instead of 6 he could have 10 or 12 now and also the career grand slam. Silly boy.

Will have a few quid on Schauffelle as per usual, it's been very rare for it not to give me something back.

Your last point, Monty has been airbrushed from history by the American media in the build up, it was only Phil that flung the tourney away. That was probably the worst 7 iron shot of Monty's life.

Aye if you want.  As long as neither of you are nutcases why not.  Its actually really cheap, but you have to live here.  I don't even know what I pay tbh, 492 or something like that.  It was named, after St Andrews, 2nd best value for money golf membership in the world.  Which is has to be tbf, 3 courses for that unlimited play. 
And the big course is maybe the best course in the world, its certainly right up there. I've met many many many people who have played all the world's top courses and maybe 90% of them say Carnoustie is the best they've ever played. Its magnificent, an absolute masterpiece, but hard as f**k. 
I was speaking to a European tour caddie a couple of years ago and asked him has he done all the majors, yes he has, said what's Augusta like he said 'honestly mate its not a patch on Carnoustie, Augusta is just a putting contest, you put it in the right spot on the greens then whoever putts best wins.' 
Carnoustie was voted world's best course lasty ear actually but there's lots of different awards not one definitive one, can't remember who this one was.  

I played the championship at Carnoustie a month or so back for me and the wee man it was £400 and worth every penny! Even the firing range added a wee bit extra character! The starter (I think his name was alistair) was very good, calmed my son down and gave us a bit history of the club! The 16th is a ridiculous hole... 245 par 3 had to lay up with a hybrid [emoji23][emoji23] my next venture is gleneagles

23 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Will have a few quid on Schauffelle as per usual, it's been very rare for it not to give me something back.

Your last point, Monty has been airbrushed from history by the American media in the build up, it was only Phil that flung the tourney away. That was probably the worst 7 iron shot of Monty's life.

For me what Monty did was worse than Mickelson. He's always likely to find the trees and he's never been known for taking the safe option either. 

Montgomerie should've been hitting that green in his sleep.  I really thought he was going to win it, until he changed clubs....

2 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

I played the championship at Carnoustie a month or so back for me and the wee man it was £400 and worth every penny! Even the firing range added a wee bit extra character! The starter (I think his name was alistair) was very good, calmed my son down and gave us a bit history of the club! The 16th is a ridiculous hole... 245 par 3 had to lay up with a hybrid emoji23.pngemoji23.png my next venture is gleneagles

Its brilliant eh but hard as f**k.  16 is the only par 3 where you sometimes need a yardage for your second shot.  If they push everything right back its 276, and it could be into the wind.  Glad you enjoyed it, I was looking at Gleneagles recently too actually, cheap twilight deals going on the Kings for 85.

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

For me what Monty did was worse than Mickelson. He's always likely to find the trees and he's never been known for taking the safe option either. 

Montgomerie should've been hitting that green in his sleep.  I really thought he was going to win it, until he changed clubs....

The archetypal shat it, get it right up the fat p***k.  That's called fear of success that.

33 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Not just that, he then missed the green with his chip too, right through the other side of it. That was his fat loser brain telling him to make sure he doesn't even make the playoff cause his fat arse was flapping.  I cheered big time cause he's a piece of shit.  Possibly the most horrible person I've ever met, just an absolutely vile human being.  I've heard many people say he's nice away from the course aye right so was Stalin, he's an utter scumbag.