Golfers Thread

Gaz

I hate it when it clips the flag and doesn’t drop. Me and my mates simply play if it hits the flag it’s a holed putt

Not for me, I've had folk claiming putts were in when they hit the flag at an angle and bounced well away from the hole. They were never going to drop. Some folk have convinced themselves that lip-outs only started when we were putting with the pins in. It's infuriating, but we've certainly been playing that it has to drop when playing our competitions.

I don't see why each group can't have one player designated to take the flag out, and for them to be equipped with sanitiser or whatever is necessary, or just use a gloved hand.

Obviously if the putt is going to be 10 feet past but hits the flag we don’t count that as a holes putt, that’s just silly.

For us if it doesn’t drop then it’s not holed. Rub of the green. I had one today in a match which I’m almost certain would have dropped with no pin in but of course can’t be sure. I lost on the 18th so a bit of a scunner but just tough luck really.

Obviously if the putt is going to be 10 feet past but hits the flag we don’t count that as a holes putt, that’s just silly.
That's the problem though, there would be no consistency from one group of players to the next.

For an example. Played with a guy last week who hit the pin with a pitch from about 70 yards. It dropped right next to the cup, stopping about 6 inches away. Given that was closer than some of the rebounded putts that I've seen folk claim as being in, should we just have declared his pitch shot as holed?

That's the problem though, there would be no consistency from one group of players to the next.

For an example. Played with a guy last week who hit the pin with a pitch from about 70 yards. It dropped right next to the cup, stopping about 6 inches away. Given that was closer than some of the rebounded putts that I've seen folk claim as being in, should we just have declared his pitch shot as holed?

Yea I see your point. I don’t play comps and understand that if I did then the ball would need to drop in the cup, I just play with pals.

This nonsense could all be avoided if they just let us take the fucking flag out

Knox shoots a -9 63 in the opening round of the opening event of the "2021" PGA Tour. Superb.
Knox went 63-69-70-70 to end up tied 9th, a welcome improvement on recent form. Stewart Cink, the most unpopular Open winner ever, won the tournament.

Liam Johnston couldn't keep up his great start in Portugal and ended up T14th, alongside Grant Forrest.

Strangest sight of the weekend had to be the wall at the back of the 18th green at Dinah Shore for the ANA Inspiratio. Normally there would be a grandstand, but instead of just leaving the space and bringing more water into play, they thought sticking a wall around the back edge of the green was a good idea. It gave players the option of not having to worry about holding the green and deliberately playing to hit the wall, knowing they would get a drop away from it if needed. Another dumb move by the LPGA after snubbing Sophia Popov's exemption.

See since you're talking about this, I tried to post something a couple of months ago but couldn't work out how to post the picture.  Does anybody know how to do that?  Nobody will believe me if I just tell the story, but if you see the picture its undeniable.
If you are using the app, click on the bit highlighted below and it should bring up your phone picture gallery. Just click on the picture you want then press send in the top right and it should add it to your post.20200914_144020.jpg

Can you see that?  I don't even want to type it out.  Will be scarred for life.  This is about June, I am lucky enough to be a member at Carnoustie.  Saturday afternoon, playing 13.  Par three, white tees, pin back left so about 165. Slightly downbreeze.

The green is kind of a figure of 8 shape with the lip of the left and right bunker cutting into the green on each side. If the pin is on the right in the right place you can aim for the lip of the left bunker and it will kick towards it. Same even more so on the other side. 

This was perfect.  You know how sometimes a shot just suits your eye, well this was just perfect for me. Teed it up on the left of the tee as usual and picked a divot a few yards in front of the ball to aim at, just suited me so well didn't even have a practice swing. Fairly full 7 iron without needing to swing out of your shoes.  

As soon as I hit it it was just perfect, couldn't have been any better. Felt crisp and solid but swinging within myself, on the perfect line everything about it looked great. Said to my playing partner 'this could be the one', it carries to about five yards short of the flag and almost ten right of it, absolutely bang on the money lands literally in the perfect spot to kick to the flag, you couldn't go up there and pick a better spot. 

Kicks hard left and starts to run across the green, with about ten feet to go I'm thinking that's in, no doubt about it that's going in the hole. Its rolling across the green relatively slowly, straight at the flag.

Last second it changed direction a tiny wee bit and I could still see it. I thought maybe its stuck against the side of the flag. Get up there that is what I see.

Now, you'll notice they've added those wee hooks to the flags. I actually work with a guy whose friend makes them, and since this happened they have modified them, they wrap round the flag now and are tight to the pin, before they were a couple of cm away from the flag. Effectively making the hole smaller. And they have a wee bit of spring in them not like a flag. 

And that's where my ball finished. Its come in from the right hand side and a bit below and hit the hook and sat there. To my dying day I will believe I was cheated out of a hole in one, hit the perfect shot in the perfect place, got the perfect bounce, was rolling towards the hole. Absolutely stunningly beautiful, could try it a million times and never do it again, and would probably have been the greatest shot of my life. 

There's nobody will ever convince me that doesn't go in if the hook wasn't there. My first thought was oh well I've had one already or that would have been really bad. But I'll never get over it.

image000000.jpg

Can you see that?  I don't even want to type it out.  Will be scarred for life.  This is about June, I am lucky enough to be a member at Carnoustie.  Saturday afternoon, playing 13.  Par three, white tees, pin back left so about 165. Slightly downbreeze.
The green is kind of a figure of 8 shape with the lip of the left and right bunker cutting into the green on each side. If the pin is on the right in the right place you can aim for the lip of the left bunker and it will kick towards it. Same even more so on the other side. 
This was perfect.  You know how sometimes a shot just suits your eye, well this was just perfect for me. Teed it up on the left of the tee as usual and picked a divot a few yards in front of the ball to aim at, just suited me so well didn't even have a practice swing. Fairly full 7 iron without needing to swing out of your shoes.  
As soon as I hit it it was just perfect, couldn't have been any better. Felt crisp and solid but swinging within myself, on the perfect line everything about it looked great. Said to my playing partner 'this could be the one', it carries to about five yards short of the flag and almost ten right of it, absolutely bang on the money lands literally in the perfect spot to kick to the flag, you couldn't go up there and pick a better spot. 
Kicks hard left and starts to run across the green, with about ten feet to go I'm thinking that's in, no doubt about it that's going in the hole. Its rolling across the green relatively slowly, straight at the flag.
Last second it changed direction a tiny wee bit and I could still see it. I thought maybe its stuck against the side of the flag. Get up there that is what I see.
Now, you'll notice they've added those wee hooks to the flags. I actually work with a guy whose friend makes them, and since this happened they have modified them, they wrap round the flag now and are tight to the pin, before they were a couple of cm away from the flag. Effectively making the hole smaller. And they have a wee bit of spring in them not like a flag. 
And that's where my ball finished. Its come in from the right hand side and a bit below and hit the hook and sat there. To my dying day I will believe I was cheated out of a hole in one, hit the perfect shot in the perfect place, got the perfect bounce, was rolling towards the hole. Absolutely stunningly beautiful, could try it a million times and never do it again, and would probably have been the greatest shot of my life. 
There's nobody will ever convince me that doesn't go in if the hook wasn't there. My first thought was oh well I've had one already or that would have been really bad. But I'll never get over it.

image000000.thumb.jpg.80f699b51ac6b02ad59dfef14e17eb36.jpg

2 putt par?

34 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

image000000.jpg

Firstly, that's so cool (being a Carnoustie member), nice one. 

Secondly, I agree you were robbed, that's a difficult one to live with. At least you have had an ace before, if you hadn't, that'd be sleepless nights....

Edited by Mr Hahn

12 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Firstly, that's so cool, nice one.

Secondly, I agree you were robbed, that's a difficult one to live with. At least you have had an ace before, if you hadn't, that'd be sleepless nights....

Aye, I would have gone mental if I didn't already have one.  That was a 7 iron too, was actually on my own but had witnesses on the next tee.  A bit of an anti-climax but still it went in.