Golfers Thread

Gaz

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

A final round 65 for Craig Howie lifts up to a tie for 5th place in the UK Championship at the Belfry. A 66 for Calum Hill gets him another top 10 to keep up a decent run of form.

Hojgaard got his second win of the season. He could be a decent bet for a Ryder Cup spot next season. 

8 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I've played quite a bit at Royal Musselburgh recently. Clubhouse is thie best thing about it imo. Some of the bunkers have no sand in them and it's like hitting off a cart path.

It's certainly not the worst course, but a lot of the holes, particularly early in the round, are very samey.

Don't agree.   

Number 2 is an excellent risk-reward par 4.   You can score anything from 2-6 here.   
Number 3 is a great driving left- to-right hole.  
Number 4 is a great strategic left-to-right dogleg.  If you go right it's double bogey country.  
Number 5 has the best green on the course.   It must be 40 yards long but only 5 yard wide as it pinches mid-green.   The perfect green to receive wedge shots.   

I rate Royal Musselburgh as one of the best courses in the Lothians.   Better than The Musselburgh (Monktonhall GC)  and bettered only by Gullane 1, 2, Dunbar, Muirfield, Longniddry, Archerfield. Luffness New, The Renaissance, and on a par with Duddingston, Mortonhall and Royal Burgess.   

The worst thing about these play offs is that the American coverage at times seems more bothered about who'll finish in the top 30 than who'll win the tournament. It's irrelevant, because somebody who scrambled into the top 30 on the 18th is not going to be contending for the FedEx Cup come the Tour Championship. 

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Going to be a lot of fairly unfamiliar names in the top 30 for next week. Rahm now leading with only a handful of holes left for the leaders.

This is great stuff from Rahm. Especially after that blunder from him yesterday. 

This is great stuff from Rahm. Especially after that blunder from him yesterday. 
Lucky break on the par 5 when his tee shot was hazard bound but hit the trees and came back in play.

That could be Neimann's chances gone after missing that birdie chance.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Lucky break on the par 5 when his tee shot was hazard bound but hit the trees and came back in play.

That could be Neimann's chances gone after missing that birdie chance.

Adam Scott must've been raging at watching that and then seeing his ball head into the trees.  

Niemann got an even better break than Rahm but didn't take advantage and that may be the difference. 

40 minutes ago, Beth Paige-Black said:

Don't agree.   

Number 2 is an excellent risk-reward par 4.   You can score anything from 2-6 here.   
Number 3 is a great driving left- to-right hole.  
Number 4 is a great strategic left-to-right dogleg.  If you go right it's double bogey country.  
Number 5 has the best green on the course.   It must be 40 yards long but only 5 yard wide as it pinches mid-green.   The perfect green to receive wedge shots.   

Respectfully disagree with some of this.

2 is a standard short uphill par 4. 

3 is a standard right to left slight dogleg. A nice green complex but doesn't drain well.

4 requires a good drive, but the green is defenceless.

Agree with you on 5. A nice green and fun when the pin is cut in the skinny part.

My point was kind of that they're all relatively short par 4's. Many members leave driver in the bag until they reach the 7th tee.

40 minutes ago, Beth Paige-Black said:

I rate Royal Musselburgh as one of the best courses in the Lothians.   Better than The Musselburgh (Monktonhall GC)  and bettered only by Gullane 1, 2, Dunbar, Muirfield, Longniddry, Archerfield. Luffness New, The Renaissance, and on a par with Duddingston, Mortonhall and Royal Burgess.   

You're giving it more credit than it's due my friend. Monktonhall is superior as befits it's status as a former Open qualifying venue. As a former member of Duddingston, I find it to also have the edge over the Royal.

Both North Berwick tracks and the East course at Dalmahoy are also ahead of it in the Lothians rankings imo.

17 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Respectfully disagree with some of this.

2 is a standard short uphill par 4. 

The vast majority of members (98%)  won't be able to carry the cross bunkers.   I've laid up into the wind.   The bunkering at the 'Royal' is excellent.  

3 is a standard right to left slight dogleg. A nice green complex but doesn't drain well.

It;s a 7/10 hole.  The idea of members not producing driver till number 7 is silly.   I would hit driver at 1,2,3 and maybe 5 if the green was on.   I would be hitting 1 iron on 7 unless it was heavily into.  

You're giving it more credit than it's due my friend. Monktonhall is superior as befits it's status as a former Open qualifying venue. As a former member of Duddingston, I find it to also have the edge over the Royal.

Both North Berwick tracks and the East course at Dalmahoy are also ahead of it in the Lothians rankings imo.

It's the length the makes Monktonhall an open qualifying venue ( I played said event in 2013).   

Nothing wrong with putting Duddingston> Royal Musselburgh but very little in it.   I play at Gleneagles and love playing them both.  

I'd place North Berwick West and Dalmahoy East higher but certainly not 'The Glen'.  

The only course I haven't played in the Lothians that might/might not come onto the list is Ratho Park.  Is it any good?  

Edited to add -7 at Duddingston is still my lowest score to par.  Included a 6 at the short 2nd.  

Edited by Beth Paige-Black

9 minutes ago, Beth Paige-Black said:

The vast majority of members (98%)  won't be able to carry the cross bunkers.   I've laid up into the wind.   The bunkering at the 'Royal' is excellent.  

It;s a 7/10 hole.  The idea of members not producing driver till number 7 is silly.   I would hit driver at 1,2,3 and maybe 5 if the green was on.   I would be hitting 1 iron on 7 unless it was heavily into.  

The bunkering style, and their postioning are good. Unfortunately, they need a bit of tlc. 

We'll have to agree to disagree, you could hit 3 iron off the tee at the first 5 holes and have less than 150 in imo.

14 minutes ago, Beth Paige-Black said:

It's the length the makes Monktonhall an open qualifying venue ( I played said event in 2013).   

Nothing wrong with putting Duddingston> Royal Musselburgh but very little in it.   I play at Gleneagles and love playing them both.

Mystery solved. I'm convinced your soft spot for the Royal comes from the fact the great James Braid is the architect.

18 minutes ago, Beth Paige-Black said:

The only course I haven't played in the Lothians that might/might not come onto the list is Ratho Park.  Is it any good?  

Edited to add -7 at Duddingston is still my lowest score to par.  Included a 6 at the short 2nd.  

Never played Ratho PB, have only heard good things, so it's on the list. I've played next door at Gogarburn a couple of times. (I'm a sucker for quirky wee courses)

-7 round Duddingston is fantastic shooting mate. I'm a bit of a hacker, 83 from the tips is my record.

4 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

-7 round Duddingston is fantastic shooting mate. I'm a bit of a hacker, 83 from the tips is my record.

Places you as about top 30% of golfers.  Anytime you feel inferior look the other golfers on the course and you feel better.  

I've played about 25 times this year and my best is +1 round the Kings ( a fairly easy track).   I've been boozing about 3 times a week since lockdown and you cannot mix booze with decent golf.   

I'd love a wee crack at getting better.  My long irons are not good enough and my holing out from 4 feet inwards.  

I've posted before but I can get anyone a time at Gleneagles for £40 ( with me.)  Kings and Queens are lovely, the PGA Ryder cup venue course is worth playing.