Golfers Thread

Gaz

Real game of two halfs for me today. Went out in 38 despite really not driving the ball particularly well. Scrambled brilliantly for 3 bogeys and six pars. Hit the ball ok on the back 9 but couldn’t buy a putt. Came back in 44, leaving 4 putts bang on line but inches short of the hole. So 82-11 for a nett 71 which looks like it may well win division 2 of the medal. CSS looked like 72 so a 0.2 cut to take me to 10.6. Overall happy but it’s always a bit frustrating to score so well on the front 9 and then struggle to score coming home. Progress though and happy to have come from 11.1 to 10.6 in the last couple of weeks.

Planning to play a good course somewhere in Fife in a couple of weeks. Someone suggested St Andrews Castle Course but seems a bit pricey for what reviews say. What recommendations would people have for a more premium course in the area?

Haven’t played the Castle Course so can’t comment. I can recommend Scotscraig which is in Tayport and also Ladybank. Have played both many times.

5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Planning to play a good course somewhere in Fife in a couple of weeks. Someone suggested St Andrews Castle Course but seems a bit pricey for what reviews say. What recommendations would people have for a more premium course in the area?

Fairmount Torrance is excellent value for money at about 40 quid a round.   Leven links is another where you can get excellent value for about 20 pounds a round.  

You can play the new course at Leven Dumbarnie Links for about 115 quid this year as a Scottish resident.   

If you play at St Andrews then Eden is fairly priced as is the Dukes.    As mentioned Ladybank and Scotscraig are excellent as is Downfield if you don't mind crossing the bridge.  

On 04/09/2020 at 22:21, peasy23 said:
On 04/09/2020 at 22:14, Ro Sham Bo said:
I just checked the leaderboard of the Tour Championship and thought Johnson and Ram were on course to go round in 55 until I remembered the daft scoring system they use for this.

I was confused by the course, the 18th was always the uphill par 3 over the water, but it seems they have switched the front and back 9s around. I'm guessing they think having a reachable par 5 as the last hole makes for a more exciting finish.

They switched it round back in 2016, according to a few articles I found online.

Welcome to my world Rory. [emoji3525][emoji23]
Stupid mistake to make. He drove it through the fairway to almost the same spot the day before, but managed to make birdie. Sensible play would have been to ease back a bit with the driver or go with 3 wood. Rory, Thomas and Rahm all made a bit of a hash of the closing holes last night.

My attempts to destroy my own game continue to know no bounds.

Was 3 under handicap at the turn in this morning's medal, then holed a birdie putt on 18 to make buffer. The good stuff is sensational, but the bad stuff is like when you played Tiger Woods with your pal and deliberately hit awful shots for him when he went for a pish

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Just watching the golf from Valderrama. The boy Catlin who is leading is painfully slow.

So close for Kaymer there. Really felt he needed to hole that birdie putt on the 17th.

Edit: How many times is a tournament won with a birdie free final round?!

Edited by Mr Hahn

Was 3 under handicap at the turn in this morning's medal, then holed a birdie putt on 18 to make buffer. The good stuff is sensational, but the bad stuff is like when you played Tiger Woods with your pal and deliberately hit awful shots for him when he went for a pish

Feel your pain. I was a disgraceful 54 at the turn yesterday, then ran up a 7 on the 10th after scudding a belter of a drive right down the middle of the fairway. On 11, half decent drive, then hit a beauty of a blind second shot to 3 feet and rolled in the putt.

44 back 9 giving me a paltry 31 stableford points, 11 on the front 9, 20 coming back. Handicap back up to 21 again. [emoji17]

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Feel your pain. I was a disgraceful 54 at the turn yesterday, then ran up a 7 on the 10th after scudding a belter of a drive right down the middle of the fairway. On 11, half decent drive, then hit a beauty of a blind second shot to 3 feet and rolled in the putt.

44 back 9 giving me a paltry 31 stableford points, 11 on the front 9, 20 coming back. Handicap back up to 21 again. emoji17.png

One of the boys I was playing with this morning was 60 to the turn. He missed a putt on 18 for a 99.

Don't think playing together helped either of us to be honest

43 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

So close for Kaymer there. Really felt he needed to hole that birdie putt on the 17th.

Edit: How many times is a tournament won with a birdie free final round?!

Another top 10 for Connor Syme, and a top 25 for Bob MacIntyre despite him starting with an 80 for his opening round. 

44 back 9 giving me a paltry 31 stableford points, 11 on the front 9, 20 coming back. Handicap back up to 21 again. [emoji17]

Lads I’m in your boat as well. Played a very nice first 13 holes. Even if I’d bogeyed the last 5 holes I’d have probably taken 0.6 off my handicap........but that didn’t fucking happen did it! I went quadruple, double and another double. Head was completely gone. 3 putted 17 for a bogey and holed a 10 footer for bogey on 18 to stay just inside the buffer zone.

Another top 10 for Connor Syme, and a top 25 for Bob MacIntyre despite him starting with an 80 for his opening round. 

Guessing they will both be USA bound now to quarantine ahead of the US Open starting on the 17th. Been a good run for Syme lately, he's up to 40th on the Road to Dubai rankings.

Guessing they will both be USA bound now to quarantine ahead of the US Open starting on the 14th. Been a good run for Syme lately, he's up to 40th on the Road to Dubai rankings.

Yep. Been very impressed by Syme in this recent run. Interesting to see how he does at US Open.

Edit to add delighted that the US open venue is on the East side of USA. Manageable time difference in terms of viewing.