Golfers Thread

Gaz

23 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Wonderful round of 61 for Connor Syme in Gran Canaria today in this week's European Tour event. Along with Scott Jamieson he is best placed Scot at tied 23rd. 

Other Scots to make the cut, Richie Ramsay and Calum Hill

Syme couldn't quite follow that up today and had to settle for a 62. Only two off the lead. 

71-61-62

Whatever he worked on on the range on Thursday night must've worked. 

21 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I lost four, was not distraught at that as it certainly could have been more. A cracking course, and very tough, but never felt unfair. We played Castle down in St Andrew’s last year, and its rough is similarly brutal, and it also feels like it’s set-up to screw you over with the amount of blind shots, etc (the greens are also a complete novelty), whereas Trump is laid out very clearly and it’s all the better for it.

That is a very good deal. Trump fee to book is £210 on its own (we’d booked for a Friday in feb but turned out it was a mistake having that available as they were closed, but thankfully honoured the price, so got it for £110 I think it was). Father-in-law is a member at Newburgh so play there fairly regularly, good links course, and played Newmachar a couple of weeks ago. Assuming it’s hawkshill, it’s pretty good, Swailend is also decent, but quite open so not that interesting.

We got a deal for July wi Bunkered for £530 for Carnoustie, Dumbarnie and Panmure and two nights in Carnoustie hotel, absolutely buzzing for it. We played Dumbarnie last year (it on the Friday, Castle Saturday) and it is 100% worthy of the hype. Just a beautiful links course. Again, the set up is so good and although it’s tough, it never feels unfair. Greens were outstanding as well. Can’t wait to play there again, although never played Carnoustie before (or Panmure) so it’s the one I’m most excited for.

Four lost balls is good going by the looks of it. Are there a lot of holes where you are driving over rough onto a blind fairway? That’s always something that gets me nervous, and almost certainly results in a ball getting fired straight into the boondai. 

I worked up in Ellon a few years ago and Newburgh and Newmachar were two of the courses I had in mind to try and get a game on but I never did. Only course I played up there was Cruden Bay which was excellent.

Some of those Bunkered deals seem like excellent value. Can get Dumbarnie and The Dukes plus a nights B and B for £209, that was one I was looking at before we ended up booking Dumbarnie itself and just driving up and back in the same day. We truly are spoiled for choice in this country. I can’t wait to get to a standard where I can go and properly enjoy these courses. 

Played Trump for the first time this morning. He might be the biggest helmet on the planet, but by Christ has Donnie put his name to a good golf course. So tight and so tough, but so, so good. Was glorious sunshine and flat calm today and still very difficult, dread to think what it’d be like in the wind and rain.

IMG_8750.thumb.jpg.58a9a3ea583614ee08284c2d62201cbe.jpg
IMG_8754.thumb.jpg.9f39d06949538233441ea16a626f65cd.jpg
IMG_8755.thumb.jpg.d8a8233183a3bcc8748e7c2a4e8f90dc.jpg
IMG_8758.thumb.jpg.364a669412ed471cbb28bb4a3c53f570.jpg
IMG_8759.thumb.jpg.145ed86f35965759ddd49d00e4303ce2.jpg
IMG_8761.thumb.jpg.5281bd37558a76f5c1a7bfa3d25ad002.jpg
IMG_8763.thumb.jpg.5969304995a0a5bdc19a3a152d46bc1d.jpg
IMG_8767.thumb.jpg.1a1b3f6ac5172b7a7c0b25e997debc22.jpg
I played it 2 year ago nothing IV played has compared to it so far, I wasn't as lucky with the weather 34mph winds and 48mph gusts, I played the PGA at gleneagles PGA on wed great course but reinforced my love for links golf, plying st Andrews Torrance on Monday looking forward to it

I’m playing in a Medal tomorrow at my home club, and looking to put a card in for handicap purposes off the White tees. Had been trying to contact the person at the club who deals with handicaps etc. to ask if I need to physically mark a scorecard or if it’s ok using the Scottish Golf app when I put my score onto that. It’s only an issue because we are out at 8am tomorrow and the Pro Shop won’t be open to be able to get a scorecard. I’ve had a couple of people say that you need to hand in 3 actual scorecards when playing for your handicap, and a couple of others saying the app will be fine. It’s not a massive issue as I’ve plenty time to get the cards in but would be good to know before I tee off. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’m playing in a Medal tomorrow at my home club, and looking to put a card in for handicap purposes off the White tees. Had been trying to contact the person at the club who deals with handicaps etc. to ask if I need to physically mark a scorecard or if it’s ok using the Scottish Golf app when I put my score onto that. It’s only an issue because we are out at 8am tomorrow and the Pro Shop won’t be open to be able to get a scorecard. I’ve had a couple of people say that you need to hand in 3 actual scorecards when playing for your handicap, and a couple of others saying the app will be fine. It’s not a massive issue as I’ve plenty time to get the cards in but would be good to know before I tee off. 

I don't know the answer to that but nothing to stop you keeping your score on your phone and transcribing it onto a scorecard if you do need one when you finish the round. 

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I don't know the answer to that but nothing to stop you keeping your score on your phone and transcribing it onto a scorecard if you do need one when you finish the round. 

What an absolutely excellent and obvious suggestion :lol: that’s what we will do if we can’t get hold of a card.

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

If you don’t currently have a handicap and this is one of your first 3 cards then yes you’ll need to hand in a physical card. After the first 3 are in and you are setup with a CDH number then it’s just through the app I believe for general play scores. If you’re playing a medal though you’ll need a physical card anyway I would have thought?

26 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If you don’t currently have a handicap and this is one of your first 3 cards then yes you’ll need to hand in a physical card. After the first 3 are in and you are setup with a CDH number then it’s just through the app I believe for general play scores. If you’re playing a medal though you’ll need a physical card anyway I would have thought?

Cheers, that’s the same as I was told by a couple of others. We are playing tomorrow to get a card off the whites and will play two off the yellows through next week. This is the first medal I will have played in so I’m not too clued up although I imagine you are right and it would need a scorecard anyway. Only joined this course a few weeks ago, and due to Covid haven’t even seen the Pro or any of the administrative staff yet, so just trying to find out how we go about it from others. 

I actually already have a CDH number although I’ve never had an official handicap as I didn’t bother getting one at my previous club. My handicap shows as 0.0 on the Scottish Golf app, and I’ve got the handicap certificate showing my home club, CDH number etc. 

15 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I recently done it and had to submit 3 physical cards. I submitted 3 rounds off the yellow tees as making medals at the minute is difficult due to work. I haven’t played properly since I was a junior up until this year (nearly 20 years!) and as much as I mostly strike the ball well I still have a good few stinkers in my locker and was hoping for around 20/21 but to my surprise I checked the app this morning and it’s 18.2 (the best round I submitted was a 90). I feel thats a couple too low for my current standard tbh but I’d imagine as I submit bounce rounds over the next few months it might creep up a bit.

I played the course really sensibly when I was playing for the handicap and never really took many risks so I’m looking forward to having a bit of fun on my next few rounds and going for the Hollywood shots that will inevitably end up in the bushes/drink/out of bounds. 

Syme couldn't quite follow that up today and had to settle for a 62. Only two off the lead. 
71-61-62
He's played the back 9 in 30 the last 2 days, will need to do it again to get close to winning as he is currently 4 back.

Aberdeenshire courses to play are Fraserburgh and (even though I'm biased) Peterhead.

A fraction of the price of Cruden Bay and just as good 

Paul Lawrie is a massive fan of Fraserburgh 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
20 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
71-61-62

He's played the back 9 in 30 the last 2 days, will need to do it again to get close to winning as he is currently 4 back.

He looked a certainty for a top 3 finish but he's had a quadruple bogey and dropped way down the field. 

I've not seen what happened but he unfortunately seems a bit prone to this sort of thing when in the running. 

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Played an absolute blinder today after some mixed scoring the past couple weeks. Shot 69 (-2) scratch and currently sitting first in the competition, absolutely delighted as it’s the first time I’ve broke par and 70! Happy man tonight! 

Great effort mate. Hope you hold on for the victory 

20 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Played an absolute blinder today after some mixed scoring the past couple weeks. Shot 69 (-2) scratch and currently sitting first in the competition, absolutely delighted as it’s the first time I’ve broke par and 70! Happy man tonight! 

Superb effort.