Golfers Thread

Gaz

12 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Went out this morning for a round off the Yellow tees as one of my scorecards for handicap purposes.

Didn’t have anyone behind us so me and my playing partner agreed we would properly take our time on our way round, especially when on the green. I went through my full routine before every shot, marked every ball before putting no matter the distance, and just generally put more thought into my shots. Came off the course with a 91, which I know isn’t amazing by most standards, but it beats my previous best around that course which was 102, so I’m absolutely buzzing to be taking 11 shots off that. By far the most enjoyable round of golf I’ve had so far. 

Didn’t score anything higher than a 6 all the way round either which is something I am very happy about, I have a tendency to throw in a 10 or 11 once a round. Only slight negative is that it’s a card for handicap, and may go against me if I’m not able to keep that sort of standard up going forward, but still happy that my game is going in right direction. 

Great work.  I've still not managed to break 100 at my place, as like yourself, i'll always throw an absolute nightmare of a hole in every now and then.  The most heartbreaking for me was in one of the medals where i'd steadily worked my way round and knew I was on for a good card (by my low standards) then proceeded to duff my way up the 18th to card an 11 and a round of 100.

I'd have done better taking my pw out and using that all the way up the 18th.

We have a four round competition at my club. My mate won it a good few years ago. He was a long way ahead after 3 rounds but ran up a big number on the par 4 17th which really spooked him. In dry and running conditions he hit a decent tee shot off the 18th tee, putted the ball down the fairway for his second, used a putter for his 3rd shot to reach the green and then holed the the next putt for a routine par 4.
[emoji23]

12 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

We have a four round competition at my club. My mate won it a good few years ago. He was a long way ahead after 3 rounds but ran up a big number on the par 4 17th which really spooked him. In dry and running conditions he hit a decent tee shot off the 18th tee, putted the ball down the fairway for his second, used a putter for his 3rd shot to reach the green and then holed the the next putt for a routine par 4.
emoji23.png

Amazing.

My brother in law and I keep saying we're going to do something like take a 6 iron, pw and putter out and play 18 holes.  I've a feeling that I'd do better than with a full compliment of clubs.

On 26/04/2021 at 19:03, Mark Connolly said:

I played yesterday as well, and one of the guys playing with me "missed buffer" but got cut.

He was raging yesterday as he only needed to go down 0.1 to make single figures and thought he had made a complete arse of it.

Buffer zone simply doesn't mean anything anymore

Which is weird

Edited by Binos

13 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Amazing.

My brother in law and I keep saying we're going to do something like take a 6 iron, pw and putter out and play 18 holes.  I've a feeling that I'd do better than with a full compliment of clubs.

If your club has a 5/6 club comp, I'd highly recommend playing it. There's no real pressure, and you will find yourself discovering useful shots you never thought you could/should play.

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah, it's a change of mindset. "Better than the outgoing score" and "in the top 8" are the new buffer.

Before play round now should prob keep an eye on what 21st round ago score was, 

13 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Went out this morning for a round off the Yellow tees as one of my scorecards for handicap purposes.

Didn’t have anyone behind us so me and my playing partner agreed we would properly take our time on our way round, especially when on the green. I went through my full routine before every shot, marked every ball before putting no matter the distance, and just generally put more thought into my shots. Came off the course with a 91, which I know isn’t amazing by most standards, but it beats my previous best around that course which was 102, so I’m absolutely buzzing to be taking 11 shots off that. By far the most enjoyable round of golf I’ve had so far. 

Didn’t score anything higher than a 6 all the way round either which is something I am very happy about, I have a tendency to throw in a 10 or 11 once a round. Only slight negative is that it’s a card for handicap, and may go against me if I’m not able to keep that sort of standard up going forward, but still happy that my game is going in right direction. 

Assuming it’s a par 70, then you’ll be looking at a handicap of 19ish based on that, if you’ve submitted 3 cards. The more you submit the more it’ll even out to be a better representation. I’m currently 16 based on only having 4 cards submitted with one of them being my second best ever round I’ve played.

On 29/04/2021 at 22:49, Distant Doonhamer said:

Not a great start for Martin Laird with a two over par 73 in round one of the Valspar Championship on PGA Tour. Currently tied 117th.

Better for Russell Knox who finished with a two under 69. Currently tied 29th.

Still players out on the course.

Knox comfortably makes the cut on 3 under despite a double bogey on the first today. Currently tied 33rd. 

Laird misses the cut. 

Scott Jamieson hit a 61 in Tenerife yesterday to move up to T3rd and 4 off the lead.

Even as a fairly keen watcher if the Tour, I've never heard of the leader, German Nicolai von Dellingshausen. Currently world no 571 and 163rd on the Road to Dubai. Must have good sponsors as his total European Tour prize money since 2017 is just €64k.

Scott Jamieson hit a 61 in Tenerife yesterday to move up to T3rd and 4 off the lead.

Even as a fairly keen watcher if the Tour, I've never heard of the leader, German Nicolai von Dellingshausen. Currently world no 571 and 163rd on the Road to Dubai. Must have good sponsors as his total European Tour prize money since 2017 is just €64k.

Brilliant round by Jamieson. Hope he has a good weekend.
Big weekend for NvD who likewise I have never heard of.

Brilliant round by Jamieson. Hope he has a good weekend.
Big weekend for NvD who likewise I have never heard of.
He's gone 64-62 with just one dropped shot. A win would see him rocket up the R2D rankings, currently projected to move to 22nd.

On 30/04/2021 at 09:11, KnightswoodBear said:

Great work.  I've still not managed to break 100 at my place, as like yourself, i'll always throw an absolute nightmare of a hole in every now and then.  The most heartbreaking for me was in one of the medals where i'd steadily worked my way round and knew I was on for a good card (by my low standards) then proceeded to duff my way up the 18th to card an 11 and a round of 100.

Well I went out in the medal today with confidence after my upbeat post a few days ago. Finished stone last on +41 and threw my driver at a tree. What a sport. 

Played Dumbarnie today and honestly if anyone gets the chance I recommend taking it! Absolutely outstanding course and I imagine it’ll only get better. Attached some pics below, had a range of handicaps in our group +1, 2, 13 and 17 we all played off the blue tees and had an absolute ball 95464EC6-DDE7-4BDB-90D8-5670390CC9A8.thumb.jpeg.35893fde4acdde119f1410d65102c32f.jpeg2B9F16B6-1FF8-4FDC-9F17-6B6EC8D6A6A8.thumb.png.12090e3fc3dbc56468a2a936080e7c34.png

3 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Played Dumbarnie today and honestly if anyone gets the chance I recommend taking it! Absolutely outstanding course and I imagine it’ll only get better. Attached some pics below, had a range of handicaps in our group +1, 2, 13 and 17 we all played off the blue tees and had an absolute ball 95464EC6-DDE7-4BDB-90D8-5670390CC9A8.thumb.jpeg.35893fde4acdde119f1410d65102c32f.jpeg2B9F16B6-1FF8-4FDC-9F17-6B6EC8D6A6A8.thumb.png.12090e3fc3dbc56468a2a936080e7c34.png

Price? 

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Price? 

My brother in law treated us to it so I’m not entirely sure mate. It’s some experience though you get given a pouch on the first tee box containing a scorecard, course guide, tees, pencil and ball marker. They have the practice range less than 100 yards from the clubhouse and putting/chipping green is literally just outside the clubhouse

E9E7CCB6-8C94-46FB-90E0-47266B50BCD3.jpeg

226067FB-7A19-4AFF-928B-E082E13A9844.jpeg

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Booked in for a few weeks time and can’t wait, yet to hear a bad word said against it. 

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Why do we do it?

In amongst some of the 20 yard drives and shots where my divot flew further than the ball, there was some genuinely good golf played. Struck a 7 iron out the rough from 160 yards to 2 feet, the sort of shot that if Bubba Watson had done it at The Masters we would still be talking about it in 10 years time.

I think that’s why we do it, we know it’s possible because every now and then we produce a shot like that, it’s just that we need to put up with the dross while we improve. 

I’ve never really excelled in a particular subject at anything in my life so far, but if I ever get to the stage of being a 4/5 handicapper from where I am today I want it to be read out at my funeral as one of the biggest achievements of my life.